• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

will the real alex smith please stand up ?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely disagree.

Report: Kirk Cousins won't sign a long-term deal as long ...
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-kirk-cousins-wont-sign-a...

Remember his father said that he wouldn't have signed a new contract here no matter what the offer.
You are telling me that there was never an opportunity to sign him before last offseason? If so, this I completely disagree with. He would have signed a fair offer in 2015. Moreover, after 2016, the team's first offer was a joke. That set the stage and is when he decided that his future wasn't here (and when his dad made that statement). If they would have made, again, a fair offer immediately following the season, they might have signed him them.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the skins FO drove him off with their attitudes towards him plain and simple

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are telling me that there was never an opportunity to sign him before last offseason? If so, this I completely disagree with. He would have signed a fair offer in 2015. Moreover, after 2016, the team's first offer was a joke. That set the stage and is when he decided that his future wasn't here (and when his dad made that statement). If they would have made, again, a fair offer immediately following the season, they might have signed him them.

Let's not relitigate this all over again. The team/organization evaluated Kirk and offered him what they believed his worth to them. I sincerely doubt that there's more than a couple of posters here who supports the "low-ball" offer that they came up with. That aside, the entire debacle going into the 2016 season was all about PR on both sides. The organization wanted to give appearances that they were honestly trying, while Kirk was fanning the "I'm the good guy" persona.

Once negotiations failed after the 2015 season, all this other posturing bullshit began. There was NO contract in part because of the poor offers, and, in part because Kirk knew that he would have guaranteed money coming just as long as he maintained the status quo. There was never going to be a contract offered for that guy using the cap amount as a starting point. I said so then, and there was a lot of commentary pro and con that followed. The truth is now clear and Kirk is working elsewhere. Bottom line, posturing is one thing, doing another. Woulda, shoulda coulda, or as you state "an opportunity" was indeed always there in exactly the same manner as is "the opportunity" to flap your arms and fly.:suds:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when BS is presented then it will be re litigated fact is the FO blew this from day one and he left because of it . no real offers were given just low ball crap passed off as legit .

the FO blew it period

now we will see if they choked the chicken twice

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when BS is presented then it will be re litigated fact is the FO blew this from day one and he left because of it . no real offers were given just low ball crap passed off as legit .

the FO blew it period

now we will see if they choked the chicken twice

No doubt they messed things up, the question now is when did it become an unworkable situation?

Some say, there was a real chance until Kirk became a free agent this year. Others say the low ball offers in the 2016 and 2017 seasons were the final straws.

I say, (and said then) once the negotiation following the 2015 season broke down, Kirk was in guaranteed cap money and free agency mode. This plan gave him no reason to honestly counter nor accept/negotiate the subsequent low ball offers that followed. Being a low round draft selection and producing, is a once in a career opportunity, to become what he never was leading up to his draft and the subject in a bidding war. Had Washington offered him the contract that he eventually signed in Minnesota, he still would NOT have accepted it without going through the free agent process. It really didn't help the Bruce Allen is/was here in a negotiating position. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense that so many of us on the hoop, and I suspect in burgundy and gold nation aren't enamored with Allen. It's equally likely that his poisonous manner wasn't/isn't very well liked by the players either. C'est la vie!!

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt they messed things up, the question now is when did it become an unworkable situation?

Some say, there was a real chance until Kirk became a free agent this year. Others say the low ball offers in the 2016 and 2017 seasons were the final straws.

I say, (and said then) once the negotiation following the 2015 season broke down, Kirk was in guaranteed cap money and free agency mode. This plan gave him no reason to honestly counter nor accept/negotiate the subsequent low ball offers that followed. Being a low round draft selection and producing, is a once in a career opportunity, to become what he never was leading up to his draft and the subject in a bidding war. Had Washington offered him the contract that he eventually signed in Minnesota, he still would NOT have accepted it without going through the free agent process. It really didn't help the Bruce Allen is/was here in a negotiating position. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense that so many of us on the hoop, and I suspect in burgundy and gold nation aren't enamored with Allen. It's equally likely that his poisonous manner wasn't/isn't very well liked by the players either. C'est la vie!!

through 2017 was when it went to hell . until that time he could have been signed with a reasonable offer

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my hole bone of contention was we wanted a qb that could carry a football team (it was dumb because they just dont come around often ) .

the ABC crowd told me he wasnt worth the money because he couldnt carry the team , fair enough , but then we gave up a high draft pick and a young starter on defense to get what ? the older version of what we had ?

it should have been a guy who COULD carry a team not an older lateral transfer and we pile on 71 mil in real guarantees we didnt even offer the younger home grown guy WE developed

then the abc crowd wants to tell me he is BETTER but when better is defined the way it should be well the backtracking was in full swing and my ;ogic was "out of whack "

truth is they never liked KC , refused to acknowledge it and played silly games , and we find out they really dont buy what they are selling

heck i have a poster who gets mad that i point out the things the new guy does that the last guy was crucified for and some are upset when i go back , search engine their posts and point out what they said they said isnt exactly true

now i think we can win with smith . but the same people who are riding his jock now will be the same people wanting him gone in 2 years

and i will remind each one of them that as it comes to pass

core value i have always had since the espn days . DONT TRADE FOR PLAYERS over 30 and develop and KEEP OUR GUYS

we should be ready to draft our qb of the future soon because the list of qbs 34 or older who declined rapidly is long and wide

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my hole bone of contention was we wanted a qb that could carry a football team (it was dumb because they just dont come around often ) .

the ABC crowd told me he wasnt worth the money because he couldnt carry the team , fair enough , but then we gave up a high draft pick and a young starter on defense to get what ? the older version of what we had ?

it should have been a guy who COULD carry a team not an older lateral transfer and we pile on 71 mil in real guarantees we didnt even offer the younger home grown guy WE developed

then the abc crowd wants to tell me he is BETTER but when better is defined the way it should be well the backtracking was in full swing and my ;ogic was "out of whack "

truth is they never liked KC , refused to acknowledge it and played silly games , and we find out they really dont buy what they are selling

heck i have a poster who gets mad that i point out the things the new guy does that the last guy was crucified for and some are upset when i go back , search engine their posts and point out what they said they said isnt exactly true

now i think we can win with smith . but the same people who are riding his jock now will be the same people wanting him gone in 2 years

and i will remind each one of them that as it comes to pass

core value i have always had since the espn days . DONT TRADE FOR PLAYERS over 30 and develop and KEEP OUR GUYS

we should be ready to draft our qb of the future soon because the list of qbs 34 or older who declined rapidly is long and wide

We could have possibly had our QB of the future in round 3this season if we didn’t trade him away with Fuller.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, i think cousins and smith are both 'ok' but not in the top part of the league. they are both middle of the road in the league so smith vs cousins is probably a wash.

the thing about smith is he is getting older ... when will he start to lose some of his mobility and what will that do to effect his overall game?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not Alex Smith's fault. Radio guys say Smith isn't playing tonight. I think he should have played a series last week, a quarter tonight and a half in game 3.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not Alex Smith's fault. Radio guys say Smith isn't playing tonight. I think he should have played a series last week, a quarter tonight and a half in game 3.

i had an inkling that might happen . it isnt smith;s fault but i feel its a huge coaching error . if we lose week one criticism will be justified

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose Smith isnt playing because McCoy actually looks better??

:stevie: