• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Giants raise their payroll in 2014?

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the money the Dodgers are spending how much will the Giants be willing to spend this coming year? I am a little worried the Dodgers will go hog wild once again and will leave us behind in the West. With all the money the Giants have been making this is the year to step up and show the fans they are willing to compete on and off the field. Should be interesting.

Anyone have the payroll numbers as of today? What do you think?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the money the Dodgers are spending how much will the Giants be willing to spend this coming year? I am a little worried the Dodgers will go hog wild once again and will leave us behind in the West. With all the money the Giants have been making this is the year to step up and show the fans they are willing to compete on and off the field. Should be interesting.

Anyone have the payroll numbers as of today? What do you think?

The payroll has been posted about a dozen times on this board over the last month or so, each with a rather in-depth analysis of possibilities and predictions.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The payroll has been posted about a dozen times on this board over the last month or so, each with a rather in-depth analysis of possibilities and predictions.

Which threads are those? Please list them for me. Dodgers payroll too?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you like some fries with that?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, to be fair, the only full payrolls listed here are historical. For 2014, short of having some insider knowledge, it is any fan's guess.

For us, mine would be in the $145MM - $150MM range, which includes Zito's $7mm buyout.

LA's payroll exploded because of their huge TV contract. I have no idea what the impact of TV is on our revenue. I can only assume we can expand payroll in line with the trend of the previous several years. We got a big clue with Pence's extension - the Giants will likely increase payroll. We also were serious for a time about Abreu, unless that was a decoy to get someone else to raise their cost.

The biggest wildcards left are:
  1. Timmy's fate.
  2. How much they are (hopefully) going to shell out for a free agent outfielder (or not).
  3. Whether or not we are going to play for some other international star. Tanaka looks a lot more affordable if we don't re-sign Timmy.

Those are some very big wildcards.

Very interesting analysis here:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/offseason-outlook-san-francisco-giants.html

Does anyone have any info on the status of the stadium mortgage?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to be fair, the only full payrolls listed here are historical. For 2014, short of having some insider knowledge, it is any fan's guess.

For us, mine would be in the $145MM - $150MM range, which includes Zito's $7mm buyout.

LA's payroll exploded because of their huge TV contract. I have no idea what the impact of TV is on our revenue. I can only assume we can expand payroll in line with the trend of the previous several years. We got a big clue with Pence's extension - the Giants will likely increase payroll. We also were serious for a time about Abreu, unless that was a decoy to get someone else to raise their cost.

The biggest wildcards left are:
  1. Timmy's fate.
  2. How much they are (hopefully) going to shell out for a free agent outfielder (or not).
  3. Whether or not we are going to play for some other international star. Tanaka looks a lot more affordable if we don't re-sign Timmy.

Those are some very big wildcards.

Very interesting analysis here:

Offseason Outlook: San Francisco Giants: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Does anyone have any info on the status of the stadium mortgage?

My estimates are as follows:

Under contract:
Cain 20.8
Pence 16.0
Pagan 10.3
Scutaro 6.7
Affeldt 6.0
Sandoval 8.3
Casilla 4.5
Posey 11.3
Romo 5.5
Bumgarner 4.0
Crawford 0.6
Sanchez 0.6
Dunning 0.5

Arbitration eligible and estimated 2014 salaries:
Mijares 2.1
Blanco 2.2
Arias 1.2
Belt 2.4
Abreu 0.7
Petit 1.3

Dead money:
Zito 7.0
Vogelson 0.3 (if released)

Free agents and estimated 2014 salaries:
Lincecum 14.0
Lopez 5.0
Gaudin 3.0

With a roster of:

SP: Bum/Cain/Tron(if signed)/Petit/open spot
RP: Romo/KCya/JA/Dunning/Mijares/Gaudin(if signed)/open spot
C: Buster/Chez3
IF: BB9/Moped/Stamos/Panda/Abreu/Kobe
OF: Herk/Oxy/open spot/Shark/open spot

Assuming Tron is signed to about $3.5 plus incentives, Timmy goes to Seattle, JLo signed for $5, Gaudin for $3, and Towers let go....

Total payroll is at about $133.5 with 22 players and three open spots (LF, 3rd starter, and 5th OF).

My estimate to fill those spots: $10, $10, and $0.5

Total 2014 payroll is then $154MM

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Bobby Evans the Giants front office has received the word that the payroll will go up. By how much is not known right now.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as shocking as a $200MM budget unable to advance to the WS.

I was pointing my sarcasm more to Captain Obvious, but if you want to think that I'm trying to insult your favorite team, then that's all on you.