• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Russell Wilson be a Starting QB anywhere next Year?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn’t really give up much for Payton when you consider the 1st they gave N.O is the pick they got from Miami who overpaid for a Pass Rusher who Denver wasn’t going to re-sign anyways. I think they swapped a 2nd with their 3rd but it didn’t really set them back anything.
I didn't say just Peyton, I said overall. That's a big difference. Now with Russ benched and probably cut, this goes down as a 2yr disaster of wasted picks and money.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be an upgrade on several teams.

Most notably the Falcons.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say just Peyton, I said overall. That's a big difference. Now with Russ benched and probably cut, this goes down as a 2yr disaster of wasted picks and money.
I don’t know how trading a first round pick (regardless of how it was acquired) is ever considered not much of a cost.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know how trading a first round pick (regardless of how it was acquired) is ever considered not much of a cost.
Desperation from Captain Walmart wanting a big name HC. Could have saved that first and hired an up and coming OC/DC ready for the job. I wouldn't have traded that pick for him.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he will, quarterback get plenty of chances

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it wasn’t really theirs to begin with.

If you find $20 on the ground and go buy a lottery ticket and lose, yes you lost $20 but the day before you weren’t even position to buy one so it’s not like it really cost you anything outside of a gamble.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desperation from Captain Walmart wanting a big name HC. Could have saved that first and hired an up and coming OC/DC ready for the job. I wouldn't have traded that pick for him.

They literally did that with Nathaniel Hackett, and Vic Fangio before that, and hell, you can even say Vance Joseph before that.

Perhaps this new ownership saw how Denver operated the previous 7 years and decided “let‘s try getting someone established this time”.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t matter. They gave away the fruits of one of the few things they did right.
If you find $20 on the ground and go buy a lottery ticket and lose, yes you lost $20 but the day before you weren’t even position to buy one so it’s not like it really cost you anything outside of a gamble.
Horrid analogy. The Chubb trade recouped a first that was spent for the right to sign Russ to a crippling contract. Chubb deal helps to mitigate a bigger loss. They gave that away.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be an upgrade on several teams.

Most notably the Falcons.
As of today, He isn't even an upgrade on his own team. Cap hits in ensuing years, based on various contract contingencies factor into a player's value. In Russell's case those contingencies (potential serious injury that would kick in the 2025 guaranteed salary) reduce his value and makes him a downgrade.

And this benching all but ensures Denver is going to eat the $37M on the 2024 cap hit and release him as soon as the new NFL season officially kicks off in June or whenever.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

straw drinking GIF

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ would be absolutely average or below average on a team like the Pats.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ has been exposed as an average, limited QB being paid like an elite QB. In a real pro offense that relies on more than just deep shots and screens, he just isn't very good. He's afraid to throw to a spot and instead waits until he sees guys open. He has the arm but any confidence he once had is gone and he plays scared now. He almost never throws between the hash marks. Maybe that's partly vision or whatever but it's a thing. Unless he's prepared to take a massive pay cut, there are very few options for him out there and maybe none. Falcons and Raiders maybe but I have doubts even there. Russ is cooked and the Broncos need to start over at QB, yet again.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There appears to be more going on than just his talent at this phase. It seems he is not a leader or a popular teammate. Guys really don't like him. I know that's not new, but as his talent drops off a bit, that issue is apparently becoming more of a problem for him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ has been exposed as an average, limited QB being paid like an elite QB. In a real pro offense that relies on more than just deep shots and screens, he just isn't very good. He's afraid to throw to a spot and instead waits until he sees guys open. He has the arm but any confidence he once had is gone and he plays scared now. He almost never throws between the hash marks. Maybe that's partly vision or whatever but it's a thing. Unless he's prepared to take a massive pay cut, there are very few options for him out there and maybe none. Falcons and Raiders maybe but I have doubts even there. Russ is cooked and the Broncos need to start over at QB, yet again.
Seattle Seahawks Football GIF by German Sea Hawkers

Pete Carroll looking like a genius right about now...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until we remember the Jamal Adams trade.
EVERY coaching staff makes a bad decision at some point...

At the time, I liked the trade... But it obviously has turned out to be a poor one when it's all said and done...

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Russell hadn't already written his ticket out of Denver, he most certainly wrote it tonight, especially considering his cap hit over the next two years if he is still on Denver; 's roster a few days into the 2024 NFL season. So the big question is, will Russell Wilson be a starting QB anywhere next year?

A not-so-small part of me thinks he will retire so he can devote his full time to his Hollywood image, and make a graceful exit rather than being publicly humiliated by finding there is no taker for his services.
If he leaves Denver he will start somewhere. He’s still a dangerous QB. He’s not the reason the Broncos are struggling.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are basically 2 choices for the Broncos regarding Wilson:
1) Pay him $39M to go away and not play.
2) Pay him $76M for the next 2 seasons.

It comes down to whether 2 seasons of Wilson is worth more than the $37M difference.
If another team thinks 2 seasons of Wilson is worth more than $37M and worth more than the Broncos are willing to pay Wilson they could trade for him. The trading team would pick up what they're prepared to pay, the Broncos would pay the rest, and there would likely be a swap of future 7th round picks.

Personally i'd pass on acquiring Wilson for 2 years at $37M+.
Releasing Wilson would result in an 85 million dollar dead salary cap hit for the Broncos.