• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Fangio be back or not based on these numbers?

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was an interesting statistic from The Athletic today on selecting a head coach:
Among the 20 teams that have made it to the conference championship over the past five years, 19 (95 percent!) finished in the top 10 in offensive DVOA. And 14 (70 percent!) finished in the top five. Over that same period, six (30 percent) finished in the top 10 in defensive DVOA, and five (25 percent) finished in the top five.

That doesn’t mean defense is unimportant. But a great offense with a below-average defense generally profiles to a contending team. A great defense with a below-average offense does not. And offensive efficiency is more sticky year to year than defensive efficiency.
On the other hand, while this might be more indicative of changes to the rules and penalties, the league does seem to go in cycles .. There is an ebb and flow in terms of what works, what is successful ...

There are a lot of factors that go into this, of course .. In order to be a dominating defense, a complimentary offense is key ... Grinding out first downs and field position are imperative ..

If we go back a little further, to the 2013/2014 campaign in which the Broncos had an all-time offense that was stifled in the SB - the question being, have defenses like The Legion Of Boom become passe, or, is this the way to go for a forward thinking staff ??

Russell Wilson at QB and Marshawn Lynch help out a lot, too

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With how this year has gone of course Shurmur was our OC for technically the best season we’ve had since Manning. He’ll probably use this to pad his resume.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With how this year has gone of course Shurmur was our OC for technically the best season we’ve had since Manning. He’ll probably use this to pad his resume.
Insanely low bar to clear there, but he cleared it missing some time. I would love to see a breakdown of his numbers against losing teams and against wining teams.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Locks’s numbers in his starts are similarly “shiny.”

33/47 70.2%
398 yards
1 TD 0 INTs
102.9 QB rating

Combined with Teddy, the Broncos starting QB this year is:

318/473 67.2%
3450 yards
19 TDs 7 INTs
95.7 QB rating

Starting QBs complete nearly 70%, QB rating at 95 and only 7 wins to show for it. Thus the problem with Shurmur’s offense. He asks the QB to be efficient, but doesn’t let them do anything else. Forces the QB to be a game manager. No wonder Lock struggled so mightily last season. Lock isn’t a game manager.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Locks’s numbers in his starts are similarly “shiny.”

33/47 70.2%
398 yards
1 TD 0 INTs
102.9 QB rating

Combined with Teddy, the Broncos starting QB this year is:

318/473 67.2%
3450 yards
19 TDs 7 INTs
95.7 QB rating

Starting QBs complete nearly 70%, QB rating at 95 and only 7 wins to show for it. Thus the problem with Shurmur’s offense. He asks the QB to be efficient, but doesn’t let them do anything else. Forces the QB to be a game manager. No wonder Lock struggled so mightily last season. Lock isn’t a game manager.
It's kind of like what Mike Shanahan tried to do with Jake Plummer. Up to a certain point Plummer improved under Shanahan and then Plummer couldn't go full robot and so as good as those Bronco teams were - they didn't win championships.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question that hit me today - If Fangio is such a friggin defensive genius - how come he can't look at the Broncos offense and tell himself - that's no beuno? Fangio - note to self - tell Schumur to just do the opposite of what he wants to do for this last game.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a question that hit me today - If Fangio is such a friggin defensive genius - how come he can't look at the Broncos offense and tell himself - that's no beuno? Fangio - note to self - tell Schumur to just do the opposite of what he wants to do for this last game.
When Fangio was first hired he talked a huge game about how as a defensive guy the offenses that really challenge the defense at every level of the field are the most problematic and that is the type of offense he wanted in Denver. Yet he hires Shurmur and installs the most boring predictable offense possible that every defense in the league can handle.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Fangio was first hired he talked a huge game about how as a defensive guy the offenses that really challenge the defense at every level of the field are the most problematic and that is the type of offense he wanted in Denver. Yet he hires Shurmur and installs the most boring predictable offense possible that every defense in the league can handle.
In the long run it might have been smart if moving on from Shurmur is enough to stay here in 22. He has a legit fall guy even though most knew from day 1 Shurmur was a bad hire.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schumur decided to commit career suicide right in front of us. There is no timing to the Bronco's offense - which is why they can't score TDs. Not only does the approach on offense not change during a game, but it doesn't change from game to game. Bringing to mind the adage: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a new result." The Broncos don't even try to execute mismatches - with tall WRs on small CBs -or big fast guys against smaller guys. If I was Fangio -I would have strangled Schumur and the Special TEams coach by now - and just hoping they can't pin the rap on me until I get into the playoffs.
Is it Shurmur, or is it Fangio? Seems to me Fangio is the one who's trying to play it safe. Maybe he's also telling Shurmur to do the same? Maybe there is a true reason Fangio has been in the NFL for so long w/out being a HC and we are now seeing the reason why.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I do not know what’s going to happen,” Fangio said, via Troy Renck of Denver7. “I will be good. I think the foundation is there for this franchise to close the gap. I am proud to be associated with our players. They are fighters. Our record isn’t good enough, but I am proud to be associated with them.”

“The anticipated change in ownership could buy Fangio another season. The right-of-first-refusal trial with the Kaiser family concludes soon, and team president John Elway is leaving and CEO Joe Ellis retiring following the ownership transition.”

Was I taking a nap when it was announced that Elway is leaving?

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want Vic to stay or go?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio deserved better. The GM's fault for not getting a QB.

If they acquired Rodgers in the offseason, he would have been be a COY candidate.

Agree.

Reactions: DJ

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangio deserved better. The GM's fault for not getting a QB.

If they acquired Rodgers in the offseason, he would have been be a COY candidate.
It's Fangio's fault Bridgewater was the starter. Lock may not have been elite, but he had much more upside potential. Most of his tenure seems to be of a HC who insisted on playing it safe. He got 3 years. If he couldn't produce in that time it's on him. He had enough talent to win more games than he did, especially over the past couple years.