• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why's everyone so down on Kaep?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we're still gonna need another qb to groom, i surely hope the coaching staff isnt sold on kap as the future starter

first, who said,they were so down on Kaep? must be board sensationalism? anyways, i agree with the above. since we don't have enough real game knowledge of Kaep, assume he isn't the guy next off season.

he may very well be the guy and obviously we hope he is, but going into the off-season, assume "he isn't the guy next off season".

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think anyone is really down on him since he hasn't given any reason to really be down on him in the first place.

I thought the best case scenario would be if we could buy two years out of Smith to give Kaepernick time to develop especially with basically no offseason this season.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually the people I find that weren't sold on the pick, just didn't know of him that well. Personally, I know whenever somebody sees a QB with a lost of rushing stats, they think he can't pass the ball. That's the thing though, he can pass and pretty damn good too. He wasn't Peyton Manning with passing but with Harbaugh's touch, I think he can become a probowler. He doesn't have the limits like Alex has (not knocking Alex, love his play so far).

I saw him a lot cause he played for Nevada. That's pretty much the home town school from where I grew up, so I always kind of go for them unless they are playing a team I really like. I'm not saying the guys never gonna be good, but I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Kaep. If a QB with more potential became available, I'd draft him and let those 2 compete. but that's only because I'm not entirely sold on him either, and think QB is that important that i'd bring in two if I had too.

But I'm still excited to see what he can do, we haven't had a real chance to evaluate him. Preseason was weird this year, and his time against the bucs he didn't do much, so I just don't know.

Maybe if we make the playoffs he will get to start the final game of the season. I am happy that Smith has given us time to sit him and develop him properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first, who said,they were so down on Kaep? must be board sensationalism? anyways, i agree with the above. since we don't have enough real game knowledge of Kaep, assume he isn't the guy next off season.

he may very well be the guy and obviously we hope he is, but going into the off-season, assume "he isn't the guy next off season".

we'll be completely screwed if we go with kap next year. would save me money on nfl sunday ticket tho

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Harbs can get Alex to play like this I think he could match it with Kaep.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harbs can get Alex to play like this I think he could match it with Kaep.

as some have noted in a few articles i've seen lately. smith started to turn it around before harbaugh was here.

i'd hate to see smith turn into rich gannon for someone else while we end up with a guy struggling to transition to the nfl.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Some" noted incorrectly. Alex was just plain bad last year.

look at the stats after the eagles game. he started to put up decent numbers, and thats without a real offensive coordinator

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
look at the stats after the eagles game. he started to put up decent numbers, and thats without a real offensive coordinator

Blind squirrel ---- nut. Like I said: Alex was bad last year. This is indisputable.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's before the eagles game and after the eagles game.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blind squirrel ---- nut. Like I said: Alex was bad last year. This is indisputable.

The last 6-7 games from last year, where actually on par with the first 6-7 from him this year statistically. I know Deep posted them up somewhere.

But beyond stats he defiantly looks better, he looks like he sees things better, and looks more confidant and poised. Even though he has had some errors int he pocket, I think he is moving around better. I think that's where Harbaugh comes in.

I do think the Harbaugh turn around of Smith is a little over hyped though. It's not like Smith is doing anything amazing, he is just protecting the football.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The last 6-7 games from last year, where actually on par with the first 6-7 from him this year statistically. I know Deep posted them up somewhere.

But beyond stats he defiantly looks better, he looks like he sees things better, and looks more confidant and poised. Even though he has had some errors int he pocket, I think he is moving around better. I think that's where Harbaugh comes in.

I do think the Harbaugh turn around of Smith is a little over hyped though. It's not like Smith is doing anything amazing, he is just protecting the football.

His defiance of Singletary looked pretty good last year as well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You're cherry picking. Of course if, for some reason, you throw out 5 horrible performances of the... what... 13 starts he made?... then he might statistically look decent. But you can't! The best team Alex beat all year was the Raiders. The ONLY team he beat on the road was the lowly Cardinals.

He was bad. You can't make an intelligent arguement to the contrary. Look at his performance against the Chargers week 15. He was a hot poop sandwhich.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're cherry picking. Of course if, for some reason, you throw out 5 horrible performances of the... what... 13 starts he made?... then he might statistically look decent. But you can't! The best team Alex beat all year was the Raiders. The ONLY team he beat on the road was the lowly Cardinals.

He was bad. You can't make an intelligent arguement to the contrary. Look at his performance against the Chargers week 15. He was a hot poop sandwhich.

The argument made was that Alex's turn around started at the end of last season, so it's not cherry picking, it's pointing out that he started "getting it" sooner than he got credit for, and has continued playing at a similar level as he was late last year, which is true... statistically anyway.

If that's cherry picking than so is the point you made about chargers. His stats against Lions this year, are close to his stats against Chargers last year. Whats the difference?

QB rating for the last 7 games of 2010

First 7 games of this season

it's not a major difference.

yards in last 7 games of 2010

yards in first 7 of 2011

He actually had more yards last year.

completion % went up about 5% this year.

last 7 games in 2010
11 TD 3 INT

First 7 games in 2011
9 TD 2 INT

AVG in last 7 of 2010

AVG in first 7 of 2011

Looking at stats, I see nothing major in the time period people are discussing.

He looks better beyond stats, but it's not the amazing turn around that people have hyped it to be.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not. I think Kap will be the better QB than Smith. In fact, I wanna see him as the starter next year.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw feel free to cross check those stats, I didn't look for deeps, and i always have stupid mental lapses with even the most basic math lol. but I'm pretty sure those are right.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If that's cherry picking than so is the point you made about chargers. His stats against Lions this year, are close to his stats against Chargers last year. Whats the difference?

Are you kidding me with this stuff? I chose the Chargers game because that was the ONLY decent team the Niners played in the 2nd half of the season (unless you count the Seahwaks in SF, which I don't). And he played pathetically. He played poorly against the Lions too. How does that change anything?

QB rating for the last 7 games of 2010

First 7 games of this season
96.1? it's not a major difference.

Alex played in only 11 games last year. You're citing stats that don't exist (unless you're purposely over-lapping games). Also, those ratings are about 10 points off. His rating for the season was 82.1.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, cherry picking is when you take a set of games and exclude some middle games or pick isolated situations (like red zone numbers or two-minute drills) to analyze the whole. Picking the last 7 games of the season is no more cherry picking than the first seven (or all nine) of this year.

Having said that, there are other improvements besides stats, there are other factors like competition, etc. That's where I'd say that Alex's bigger turn-around is this year, not last. I wouldn't hang my hat on it being cherry picking. Nothing here says we have to put it in one season to avoid cherry picking. He started off the season worse than bad and ended it better than bad. Sickness makes it sound like we're ignoring the head of a Butter Face and calling her attractive as a whole vs. looking at the butter face after surgery or makeup. Bad analogy but I'm not going to go think of another.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pointed this out weeks ago. We are seeing the same Smith this season that we saw for the last 7 games of the previous season. Harbs has gotten way too much credit for turning around Alex. Alex turned it around before Harbs was coach and he did it with a fucking knuckle head as his coordinator. Plus a no-show at RT. What tape do you think Harbs watched and decided gee we better keep this guy?

Last edited by a moderator: