• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we took Russell

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure this paragraph is really applicable with the Lakers today. Lakers will still need to add at least one max type player in the future I believe though. As talented as these kids may be, you need star power in LA. The ideal would be to sneak into the playoffs this season to show the team is on the right path, then use that jump in the cap plus Kobe's money to really become serious contenders.

The reason I state that opinion is Magic Johnson and James Worthy were both highly talented players that became stars. Granted, Kareem was already here when they both arrived and that scenario is what you may be referring to but I real big on developing your own stars just like the young highly talent guys we now have.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the Lakers are still chasing these top guys and losing out on a lot of other talent that could bolster the team AND add young talent. Lakers have been so preoccupied with LMA, Jordan, and Monroe that they've missed out on dozens of other players already. I was hoping they could snag Thomas Robinson as a cheap reclamation project, but they missed out there.

Maybe they strike some gold in the RFA portion of free agency, but that is an even bigger crapshoot. I'm not sure Harris is worth a max offer, but that is what it will take (and the Magic may still match, especially since they missed on Millsap). I would like to see the Lakers throw a max offer at KJ McDaniels (maybe even a poison pill type, which he is eligible for). Max would start at about the MLE. The poison pill won't be as effective given the upcoming cap increases, but of the players remaining, he's one of the more enticing ones.

There are a few names that can be had for cap space dumps (Lee, Hibbert). This would be similar to the Lin deal last year; Lakers take on salary dump players that actually fill a need with the cap space they couldn't find FA takers for, and possibly pick up draft pick compensation in the process. Lee and Hibbert are about $15M each, so it would be one or the other, and both are on the last year of their contracts. Both would actually fill needs on the current Lakers team (Lee as backup PF behind Randle and a vet presence, Hibbert as starting center) and are worthwhile pursuits should free agency continue to not bear fruit for the Lakers.

Lakers could really use some vet leadership at PG, SF, and the frontcourt. Not necessarily starters, but rotational guys that can help these kids along in the right direction.

Lakers will still need to add at least one max type player in the future I believe though. As talented as these kids may be, you need star power in LA. The ideal would be to sneak into the playoffs this season to show the team is on the right path, then use that jump in the cap plus Kobe's money to really become serious contenders.

That's what I thought they should have done last year when they missed out on the A level guys for the 2nd year in a row, go after B tier free agents to show some level competency for future free agents. But they went the filler route with replacement level players for cap space this season (thankfully we stunk so bad we had enough ping pong balls it get some luck). They invested too much in Kobe (which was always stupid to pay him that much) a couple of years back which limited their options to do both (preserve cap space and sign good mid level players). That's why it was important the last few summers to really sell a star on the basketball side of things, how that free agent would be used and how he was an central part of the plan. But the pitch LA has used over and over all featured other stuff, the city, the past, etc. Old ways of the thinking that have little bearing today. Barring Aldridge changing his mind, all that failed with every guy they pitched.

They're better off acquiring assets this summer and next (passing up on Durant or Horford) and reenter the market in 2017. By then maybe some of those rookies will have panned out or they've acquired enough assets to be intriguing or to facilitate a trade. You're right that you need at least one max level guy, not just in LA but anywhere if you want to win. The best teams typically maximize all opportunities to acquire them (draft, FA, and trades).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way it appears now is that the Lakers only valued 3 players as max types this summer. Once they couldn't lure one of them to LA, they went to plan B and used their cap space wisely with Hibbert (one year deal to save cap space for next summer if needed, and the rim protector this roster needs). By locking up that cap space with Hibbert, the Lakers pretty much guarantee they will have cap space for two max contracts next summer (30% or 35% max deals).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way it appears now is that the Lakers only valued 3 players as max types this summer. Once they couldn't lure one of them to LA, they went to plan B and used their cap space wisely with Hibbert (one year deal to save cap space for next summer if needed, and the rim protector this roster needs). By locking up that cap space with Hibbert, the Lakers pretty much guarantee they will have cap space for two max contracts next summer (30% or 35% max deals).

I wouldn't go that far. They had interest in more than just Aldridge, DJ, and Monroe. Guys like Lopez, Harris, Carroll,etc. But they all went elsewhere too so then they just rolled the dice with Hibbert and filled up the roster with whatever servicable players they could find which is better than filling up with the 12th man talent they've done the last 2 years. At least guys like Williams and Bass can function as workable assets in trades at later dates if need be. No one's picking up phones when you're offering Wes Johnson and Ronnie Price

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go that far. They had interest in more than just Aldridge, DJ, and Monroe. Guys like Lopez, Harris, Carroll,etc. But they all went elsewhere too so then they just rolled the dice with Hibbert and filled up the roster with whatever servicable players they could find which is better than filling up with the 12th man talent they've done the last 2 years. At least guys like Williams and Bass can function as workable assets in trades at later dates if need be. No one's picking up phones when you're offering Wes Johnson and Ronnie Price

They didn't make offers to any but the three to my knowledge. There was also rumored interest in dreck like Amare etc. Rumors aren't worth much until substantiated.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't make offers to any but the three to my knowledge. There was also rumored interest in dreck like Amare etc. Rumors aren't worth much until substantiated.

Yeah, the way the timeline of those signings went, it seemed like guys like Lopez, Harris and Carroll all signed before the Lakers even spoke to them. I'm not even sure they ever pitched Monroe either. I only remember reading about them actually meeting with LA and DJ.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only been 1 summer league practice, but here are some of the comments by Russell's new teammates:

Julius Randle who described himself as "surprised" by Russell and his passes:

I can catch them. It's having that point guard that's hitting you right on time

Jordan Clarkson:

He can pass the hell out of the ball. He was able to move the ball well and it makes the game a lot easier for everybody. It's good running with him.

He's not afraid to be a leader either. After he hit Larry Nance Jr. on a fast break and Nance passed up an open shot, Russell found him after the play and said:

Hey, you've got that shot. Shoot in next time. Have confidence.

On who will lead the team after Kobe retires Russell said:

Whoever steps into that challenge and tries to lead. It has an open door

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad the Lakers chose Russell. I was on the Towns/Okafor bandwagon for awhile but when they selected him, I watched and began to warm up to the sensibility of the pick. It could have gone either way. Apparently we needed a pure PG more than a big man and everything worked out just peachy for this year. If Hibbert fails, there is always next year.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell if we made the right move. I am in the wait and see mode. Not excited yet.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can tell by the 30-52 thought.:noidea: The Lakers can not be worse than last year. 1st rounder out, Kobe out, no name no shooter offense.:L I would be very surprised if the Lakers didn't get close to 500 as Kobe moves toward sunset.:rolleyes2:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3