• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we need a 8 team playoff

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the poster child for irrelevance.

And what exactly is your trip? The selection process sucks. So UW is is #4 and the committee is very vocal about how close of a decision it was about them being at 4 over Michigan. What the hell do you think that was about, Michigan getting in? Of course not. It was about the B10 champ and tOSU getting in over UW justified by strength of conference. Michigan was never going to get in. But a funny thing happened. UW clown-stomped #8 while #6 v #7 got involved in an slug-fest (or a defensive shit-show) and #3 squeaks by #23. Point is that now everybody is talking about how somehow the committee is going to take Penn St. over tOSU, which is never going to happen.

Everybody's been screaming for an 8 team playoff for years and this year is the perfect example for it. Just expand it and everything will fall into place. I'm sick of the excuses.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what exactly is your trip? The selection process sucks. So UW is is #4 and the committee is very vocal about how close of a decision it was about them being at 4 over Michigan. What the hell do you think that was about, Michigan getting in? Of course not. It was about the B10 champ and tOSU getting in over UW justified by strength of conference. Michigan was never going to get in. But a funny thing happened. UW clown-stomped #8 while #6 v #7 got involved in an slug-fest (or a defensive shit-show) and #3 squeaks by #23. Point is that now everybody is talking about how somehow the committee is going to take Penn St. over tOSU, which is never going to happen.

Everybody's been screaming for an 8 team playoff for years and this year is the perfect example for it. Just expand it and everything will fall into place. I'm sick of the excuses.
The New Washington Posters Are A Bunch Of Thin Skinnned Girls

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're arguing and wanting to expand the playoffs because of 4th place.

4th place

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're arguing and wanting to expand the playoffs because of 4th place.

4th place
4th place, 4th place, 4th plaaaace, what are talking about 4th place?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to CCG the conferences should decide with no outside interference. That way if they screw up the conference is accountable to its members. You let an outside committee decide there is no one to keep accountable.
There has to be options somewhere between blind stats as we have now, and letting outsiders decide. Have a conf committee or let the coaches or AD's in that conf vote. Find something.

I mean no one here would be in favor of just blind stats deciding the top 4 so why are we happy with it for the top in each division of the major conferences?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conferences need to sort their own shit out. Get rid of divisions and Alabama vs LSU happens in the CCG and not in the NCG. Keep it at 4 and get rid of divisions within conferences.

Meaning two highest rated by the committee play in the CCG? I am okay with that, but then do you have Michigan Ohio State playing back to back a lot of years?

I agree with Wild Turkey... conferences without divisions is the way to go.

Simple solution to avoid back-to-back games vs the same conference opponent.... make sure the top teams of each conference don't play each other the final week of the regular season. Instead, have them play a formidable OOC game Thanksgiving weekend.

Some teams already do this:
Florida generally plays Florida State the last week. USC plays Notre Dame sometimes the last week (they did this year).

Think about it.... this season's Ohio State vs Oklahoma game would have been very cool if it was played the final week.... same thing for the Michigan vs Colorado game this season. This would certainly be better than the other solution of having Ohio State vs Rutgers, and Michigan vs Purdue, and Penn State vs Illinois the last week.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Wild Turkey... conferences without divisions is the way to go.

Simple solution to avoid back-to-back games vs the same conference opponent.... make sure the top teams of each conference don't play each other the final week of the regular season. Instead, have them play a formidable OOC game Thanksgiving weekend.

Some teams already do this:
Florida generally plays Florida State the last week. USC plays Notre Dame sometimes the last week (they did this year).

Think about it.... this season's Ohio State vs Oklahoma game would have been very cool if it was played the final week.... same thing for the Michigan vs Colorado game this season. This would certainly be better than the other solution of having Ohio State vs Rutgers, and Michigan vs Purdue, and Penn State vs Illinois the last week.
The Game has to be played on the last Saturday, I don't think you'd get the schools to change that

LSUperDave#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to make sure I'm clear on some of the ideas. No human selection committee so instead we use the polls to determine which G5 conf. champ gets in. Then there are two wild cards, how are they picked? Committee? polls? BTW nearly all NCAA tournaments and playoffs use a Selection Committee to one extent or another. And D-I CBB has about 340 teams so 68 is not that extreme, although why they didn't leave it at 64 I'll never know.

One of the big problems is that so many people are under the mistaken impression that a playoff is some kind of coronation ceremony for the team that had the best regular season. We had that with the polls for about a hundred years and it sucked. You earn a spot in the playoff, maybe even get an advantage like getting to host a game or two but that's it. After that everyone is on a level playing field.

Another problem is the arbitrary blanket rules some want to implement, like you can't be in the playoff if you have 2 losses. So a team that is 5-2 against the Top Ten is automatically eliminated but a team that goes 12-0 but plays no one in the top 50 is a virtual lock since they would likely be the highest ranked non-power 5 team.

The trouble isn't that 8 teams is too many, it's that it's not enough. At 16 teams out of 120 we're talking about approximately 13% which is far lower than any other major sport or smaller college sports. The system would be fairly easy to implement and would address all the major issues that people raise but I won't go into too much detail here since this post is already getting long winded.

One argument is the extra games and while it's accurate it would carry a lot more weight if it hadn't been used against a playoff since teams used to play 10 games and no one had ever heard of a CCG. Another is the argument that it would weaken the quality of games late in the year because teams would supposedly rest players or not try as hard since they knew they were already in. This is simple and realistically necessary, the first two rounds would be played at the home field of the higher seeded teams. So an example I've heard was Michigan and TOSU. Does anyone really believe that either of these two would give anything less than their absolute best knowing it could mean the difference between hosting their first two games or having to travel to Alabama or Clemson.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to make sure I'm clear on some of the ideas. No human selection committee so instead we use the polls to determine which G5 conf. champ gets in. Then there are two wild cards, how are they picked? Committee? polls? BTW nearly all NCAA tournaments and playoffs use a Selection Committee to one extent or another. And D-I CBB has about 340 teams so 68 is not that extreme, although why they didn't leave it at 64 I'll never know.

One of the big problems is that so many people are under the mistaken impression that a playoff is some kind of coronation ceremony for the team that had the best regular season. We had that with the polls for about a hundred years and it sucked. You earn a spot in the playoff, maybe even get an advantage like getting to host a game or two but that's it. After that everyone is on a level playing field.

Another problem is the arbitrary blanket rules some want to implement, like you can't be in the playoff if you have 2 losses. So a team that is 5-2 against the Top Ten is automatically eliminated but a team that goes 12-0 but plays no one in the top 50 is a virtual lock since they would likely be the highest ranked non-power 5 team.

The trouble isn't that 8 teams is too many, it's that it's not enough. At 16 teams out of 120 we're talking about approximately 13% which is far lower than any other major sport or smaller college sports. The system would be fairly easy to implement and would address all the major issues that people raise but I won't go into too much detail here since this post is already getting long winded.

One argument is the extra games and while it's accurate it would carry a lot more weight if it hadn't been used against a playoff since teams used to play 10 games and no one had ever heard of a CCG. Another is the argument that it would weaken the quality of games late in the year because teams would supposedly rest players or not try as hard since they knew they were already in. This is simple and realistically necessary, the first two rounds would be played at the home field of the higher seeded teams. So an example I've heard was Michigan and TOSU. Does anyone really believe that either of these two would give anything less than their absolute best knowing it could mean the difference between hosting their first two games or having to travel to Alabama or Clemson.
Any playoff system that has G5's getting automatic bids is a loser

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...and when they go to 8 teams fans 9 thru 20 will bitch and moan that we need more... no, it's the way it is and if you don't like it, support your team and get them the wins they need...that would be pay for players, build training facilities, bribe committee members or whatever else you need to do...

I am for 8 teams, but if you are left out this year you shouldn't bitch. Unless you're Alabama, ohio state, Clemson or Washington.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason we need a 8 team playoff is so that teams can earn their spot on the field. This way we don't have to go through any "resume" bs. I don't know any other sport where a committee determines who makes the playoff. CBB doesn't count cause they let in 68 teams and champions get an automatic berth.

P5 conference champions
Highest ranked G5 conference champion
2 wildcards

If anyone complains about not being a wildcard, tough shit, you didn't win your conference. The best team doesn't always win the championship but they win the championship on field.

Get rid of the G5 champion. Add a third tier in between FCS and FBS and let them compete for their own title. Other than, I wouldn't mind seeing this.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An expanded playoff probably is a great idea as the 4 team playoff experiment has run it's course.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly if you lose 2 games you have no business in the playoff... plain and simple
Depends on who all you've played to get those two losses IMHO.

Let's say UCLA played Bama and Michigan OOC and split those games with them. 1-1. They had a brain fart against Az State but won the PAC 12 South and soundly beat and an undefeated Stanford team in the CCG.

Does that 2 loss team deserve to be left out?
1. THey challenged themself in OOC.
2. Won their division
3. Won their conference

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add a third tier in between FCS and FBS and let them compete for their own title. Other than, I wouldn't mind seeing this.
I wouldn't mind seeing it either. I think it would be a damned good playoff. Put 5 G5 winners and Navy, Boise State and Houston or some three like that. Be a hell of a playoff for CFB fans to watch.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that is off. It's not 120-130. It's more like 65. 16 is too many. I like 6 (top 2 get a bye) or 7 (top school gets a bye).

Why do I like expanded field.
#1. 5 Champs are in. Not always the best, but every P5 team walks in knowing what is required to make the playoffs. Also prevents opinion trumping on field achievement
#2 THE extra slot or 2 gives the committee the ability to slot in a deserving team. Basically, this cleans up any issues with a poor conference champ getting in.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it a 16 team playoff.....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing it either. I think it would be a damned good playoff. Put 5 G5 winners and Navy, Boise State and Houston or some three like that. Be a hell of a playoff for CFB fans to watch.

That could work also.