• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we need a 8 team playoff

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we're right back to that subjective committee or voting or whatever other crap people whine about... no matter what, whiners will whine
Yeah but divisions are obsolete and have proven they don't produce quality CCG's so it's time to change.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't you argue it'd make the regular season more exciting for more teams if all of the sudden teams that would otherwise just be hoping they can get in a new years bowl are now trying to get in the Playoff?

What would be hard is figuring out which 2 loss teams are the most deserving.

I've got a simple answer for that one... none

Obviously the only time a 2 loss team won it all was when LSU won it in 2007, but let's be honest no team deserved the championship that year. There's was not a single truly top level team which is why it was so wild

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what we can do right now, accept that college football has a subjective element to how it determines champions, and always has, and really will always have to with so many teams that play in conferences that are all different and have minimal common opponents to look at.

What we have now is better than what we've ever had. The next step might be expanding, and if it is, it's not happening for a while.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with the current format.

8 teams = Watering down both the regular season & playoffs. Teams would be resting their starters with a week or 2 left in the season, take a loss, and still get in. Undeserving teams with 2 & 3 losses would regularly be getting a shot for all the marbles.

6 teams = #1 and #2 have an unfair advantage with the bye.

The current format is the perfect format. It makes sure only the best of the best get in and it gives everyone a level playing field. You can't expand without taking one (or both) of those aspects away.
I agree man, most years there just aren't 6 to 8 deserving teams. And then we are talking 3 loss teams getting in and maybe even G5 teams (eww)

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but divisions are obsolete and have proven they don't produce quality CCG's so it's time to change.
Ok, so which SEC team was going to give 'bama a quality game? That's the one that stands out...the others weren't that bad...were they?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a simple answer for that one... none

Obviously the only time a 2 loss team won it all was when LSU won it in 2007, but let's be honest no team deserved the championship that year. There's was not a single truly top level team which is why it was so wild
It wasn't a question.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could go to a three team playoff, make the bye be a benefit of being #1 and then that pesky 4th team wouldnt be a problem again.

But seriously, let's just not fuck with shit for a little while. 4 teams are enough & debate is inevitable unless everybody gets in.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so which SEC team was going to give 'bama a quality game? That's the one that stands out...the others weren't that bad...were they?
Take a step back. Very weird year in the SEC and not A-Typical.

The main problem is your going to have a ton of re-matches and Auburn vs Alabama probably play back to back in multiple years.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we leave Washington out?
But seriously though, is making sure the season is super important really the concern? And can we really say every game is absolutely important now?

Maybe it would get a little worse if the the playoffs expanded, but I think there's better reasons not to.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a step back. Very weird year in the SEC and not A-Typical.

The main problem is your going to have a ton of re-matches and Auburn vs Alabama probably play back to back in multiple years.
The problem with that is now you just took something that had national appeal and made it regional....that's no good.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But seriously though, is making sure the season is super important really the concern? And can we really say every game is absolutely important now?

Maybe it would get a little worse if the the playoffs expanded, but I think there's better reasons not to.

The big one is they're still college students...most of...well...some of them anyway

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that. Then the power-houses would have to cut teams like Eastern Tennessee St. from their schedule.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason we need a 8 team playoff is so that teams can earn their spot on the field. This way we don't have to go through any "resume" bs. I don't know any other sport where a committee determines who makes the playoff. CBB doesn't count cause they let in 68 teams and champions get an automatic berth.

P5 conference champions
Highest ranked G5 conference champion
2 wildcards

If anyone complains about not being a wildcard, tough shit, you didn't win your conference. The best team doesn't always win the championship but they win the championship on field.
The main argument against it (and sorry if it has already been brought up, not reading every post) is then every regular season game suddenly has a lot less value and less intensity. Going to 8 would allow good 2, and in some cases, 3 loss teams in. Losing a game no longer is frightening. It cuts into the entire feel and unique nature of college football vs the pros.

There are at least two quality teams that will be left out this cycle and it's harsh, but those losses mattered in the end. And they should matter.

I'll go either way. I'm not entirely anti 8 team playoff, but I do see how it would reshape the landscape of this fine sport and am fine dealing with it as is.

As long as at least two of the very best teams in the land get in it serves its main purpose. It's better than what we had pre BCS and probably still better than the BCS. I can live with it being less than perfect. Just tweak how they select maybe, and that's just a maybe.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slippery slop fallacy. I'm only arguing for the top 8 only so we can have an objective determination for the playoffs.

It's not a fallacy, it's exactly what is going on. It was 2, now it's 4 and you are already arguing for 8.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big one is they're still college students...most of...well...some of them anyway
That one's my favorite.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is now you just took something that had national appeal and made it regional....that's no good.
How so? Conferences are always regional.

I'm saying fix the problem of unbalanced divisions within a conference and let the best 2 team period play in the CCG. How is there an argument against this?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not super important. I think the 4 teams is working well though. If we had 5 P5 conference champs all undefeated then I would say the system needs to be changed but that is never the reality. If you don't win all your games then you risk not making it in. I think the system is fair as is and adding more teams doesn't really add value most years.

I'm sure we'll see it expand due to $$$, like having the best system actually matters to the powers

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one's my favorite.
Come on man...the backups need to study...at least the punters and kickers do....and those scout team guys need to let their bodies recuperate