• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we need a 8 team playoff

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it a 16 team playoff.....
Doubt we'll see that within a decade.

Can see a format for an eight-team playoff being adopted though ...

- all P5 champions automatically in (assuming no more than two losses on the season)
- three at-large bids

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- all P5 champions automatically in (assuming no more than two losses on the season)
- three at-large bids

Yeah, I know......too much of a shift. Just my personal preference......it would eliminate any doubts and give teams like WMU and smaller schools a shot. It would be like FCS and the solution imo.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- three at-large bids

The reason I say 16 is there would still be a debate for the 3 at large bids.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I say 16 is there would still be a debate for the 3 at large bids.
UNA is still in Division II (for now - they'll move to FCS in the next couple of years), and Division II has a 32-team playoff bracket.

Even with that many teams, we still see debate about who got unfairly excluded, so eliminating it altogether is impossible.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNA is still in Division II (for now - they'll move to FCS in the next couple of years), and Division II has a 32-team playoff bracket.

Even with that many teams, we still see debate about who got unfairly excluded, so eliminating it altogether is impossible.

32? Fuck.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32? Fuck.

Semifinals.

bracket2016.png

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think they got this one right (the right 4 teams anyway) gonna have to wait longer for all the controversy that will push a bigger playoff.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason we need a 8 team playoff is so that teams can earn their spot on the field. This way we don't have to go through any "resume" bs. I don't know any other sport where a committee determines who makes the playoff. CBB doesn't count cause they let in 68 teams and champions get an automatic berth.

P5 conference champions
Highest ranked G5 conference champion
2 wildcards

If anyone complains about not being a wildcard, tough shit, you didn't win your conference. The best team doesn't always win the championship but they win the championship on field.

The reason we need an 8 team playoff is it will bug the shit out of @4down20 and @HuskerOC

:dhd:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason we need an 8 team playoff is it will bug the shit out of @4down20 and @HuskerOC

:dhd:

Add me to that list :whistle:

Although, I dont necesarily hate the idea. I think they need to give this 4 team CFP more time. I think it has gone well so far but there will always going to be a couple teams and fans complaining their team didnt get in. We will probably have this system for 6 to 8 more years at least.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32? Fuck.
Let's go 68 teams full on NCAA tourney style. Wait that isn't enough to get Michigan State in, shit, make it 128 then.

LSUperDave#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basics of a workable 16 team playoff
Start season 2nd to last Saturday in August, regular season ends 2 Saturdays before Thanksgiving. This gives teams 13 weeks to play 12 games. CCG's played Saturday before T'giving.
Bracket announced Sunday before T'giving. First round, 4 games on "Black Friday" and 4 on Saturday at home site of higher seed. This is only 2 consecutive days where vast majority of people are off work but there is no conflict with NFL. 2nd round would be played the following Saturday again at home sites.

4 teams still standing take a few weeks off, while the smaller bowls play out. On Christmas Eve or Christmas Day they would play the Semi-Finals at neutral sites, preferably rotating through the major bowls. The major bowls not involved in the playoff would play out over the next week up to the afternoon of January 1st. The National Championship Game would be played New Year's Night, the last game of the year. Is anybody else here old enough to remember when the CFB season ended on New Years instead of stretching the games until mid-January hoping 10 more people will watch the "Coke Zero with Splenda Bowl" (but I digress).

This is what this year would have looked like:
Saturday August 20th CFB opening day.
Saturday Nov. 19th CCG's
Sunday Nov. 20th Selection Show

First round:
Friday Nov. 25
#16 West Virginia @ #1 Alabama
#9 USC @ #8 Wisconsin

#12 Oklahoma St. @ #5 Penn St.
#13 Louisville @ #4 Washington

Saturday Nov. 26
#14 Auburn @ #3 Ohio State
#11 Florida State @ #6 Oklahoma

#10 Colorado @ #7 Michigan
#15 Western Michigan @ #2 Clemson

I don't know about all of you but I would love to spend "Black Friday" watching WVU go into Tuscaloosa, L'ville travel to UW, what about USC having to go to Wisconsin in late November. You'd finally close your eyes about 2 a.m. after watching the College GameDay Final Playoff edition. But they would pop open early because Saturday looks even better. Auburn going to The Horseshoe, FSU travelling to Oklahoma, Colorado taking on UM in Ann Arbor and of course can Western Michigan really match-up with the big time teams.

Second Round
Saturday Dec. 3rd
#8 Wisconsin @ #1 Alabama
#5 Penn St. @ #4 Washington

#6 Oklahoma @ #3 TOSU
#7 UM @ #2 Clemson

This of course is based on seeds holding which they surely wouldn't but for discussion it's easier. The home sites removes a lot of arguments. For example some argued that with an extended playoff TOSU and/or UM might not have played their starters or given 100%. When the difference between winning and losing is that you either host OU or travel to Clemson, does anyone really think that is a problem?

aar000n

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because we want real champs not paper titles based on popularity of a team.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why we "need" an 8-team playoff when there's nothing wrong with the one we have now.

tOSU has fewer losses, the more respectable loss, and the better resume so they deserve the nod over PSU. The committee got it right. Get over it.
Sir, you make good sense. Stop it! These clowns will never get it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The real number is the P5 + ND & BYU. Counting all of FBS is misleading

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real number is the P5 + ND & BYU. Counting all of FBS is misleading
It ain't even that many. The real number is the teams that finish in the top 10 of the recruiting rankings the 3-4 previous years from the number you mentioned.

I can't imagine Iowa State, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Vandy, Wake Forest, etal ever making the final four. They will have "magical seasons" occasionally. But if they never crack that top 10 recruiting group, it'll be like the odds of a jackass winning the Kentucky Derby.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add me to that list :whistle:

Although, I dont necesarily hate the idea. I think they need to give this 4 team CFP more time. I think it has gone well so far but there will always going to be a couple teams and fans complaining their team didnt get in. We will probably have this system for 6 to 8 more years at least.

Of course you think it's gone well. Your team just got into the playoff without having even won their division, let alone and the conference and having lost to the team that did. :lol:

I think we'll definitely have it for a few more years. There's a contract in place (I forget how long) so they really can't do anything until that contract expires.

Also, of course there will still be fans complaining. The NCAA basketball tournament has what? 68 teams when you include play-in games and fans still complain. However, if they expand to 6 or 8, it takes out a lot of that complaining and the teams that didn't get in have less of a case.

LSUperDave#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, of course there will still be fans complaining. The NCAA basketball tournament has what? 68 teams when you include play-in games and fans still complain. However, if they expand to 6 or 8, it takes out a lot of that complaining and the teams that didn't get in have less of a case.[/QUOTE]

You pretty much hit on it. The debate every year when the basketball bracket is announced is whether some of the teams that almost got in are better than some of the teams that almost didn't get in. IOW did 67 and 68 get left out in favor of 69 and 70. The problem with D-I football is that a lot of years with 4 teams there could be a legitimate argument that the best team got left out.

Penn St. is the Big10 champ. They won the CCG and are 2-1 against the other 3 teams from their conference ranked in the top 10. TOSU is in but they lost to PSU and squeaked by UM in 2OT, and UM lost to TOSU in a squeaker and crushed PSU.

Last year 12-1 Iowa and 11-1 TOSU were left out and 2 years ago TCU and Baylor, both with 1 loss were left out because the Committee couldn't decide which to take so instead TOSU got in and won the thing.

This year if we had a 16 team playoff the big controversy would be a 4-loss Auburn team, two of those losses are to #1 Alabama and #2 Clemson, but they would have to play TOSU at the Horseshoe and if they somehow won that game their reward would likely be to travel to OU or Michigan. Personally I'll take a system that occasionally lets in a 4 loss AU if that means that an undefeated Western Michigan gets a chance to show whether they can play with the "Power teams".