• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why UCF is the college football program with potential to experience Gonzaga-like success

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SOS is a BS stat. Everyone who understands math knows this.

To make it simple, it's like judging pitchers by the average batting average that they faced. The differences are so nebulous that they are not statistically relevant / valid.

Since you're a Big 12 fan, you should understand that every Big 12 team has the same in conference SOS while other conferences don't.... Why? Bc the Big 12 teams all play each other. While other conferences have unbalanced schedules. It's just basic math.

#UCFacts

Bullshit. People who understand math and do ranking formulas understand that SoS is a MAJOR part of ranking teams and is one of the most important measures, if not the most important stat/measurement there is in the formula.

Otherwise you will just claim that teams with even records are equal. And as we saw in the bowl game last year, that sure as shit ain't true as UCF couldn't even beat LSU - a team with 3 Losses.

But sure, it's just coincidence that every ranking formula...done by people "who understand math" all have some form of SoS.

The only problem with averages is that 49-50 and 1-100 average out to being equal, which is wrong. The more difficult schedule is the one that played #1 and #100 rather than #49-#50. However, when it comes to UCF specifically...they actually benefit from averages because they lack ANY such top games. I use a ranking system that doesn't suffer this problem as it doesn't use averages, but you are still barking up the wrong tree.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does this ring say CM or Colley on it anywhere?

That whole Colley selector thing is bullshit. The BCS computers were never recognized as selectors/championship awards individually, they were merely "voters" in the system and even then it was like 1/3rd of the selection process.

I'd be shocked if this was the first time a BCS computer had a different #1. I'd be shocked if it hasn't happened many times really, some of those formula's simply are terrible(Colley for example)

But good news for USC - the AP claim is no longer the worst claim in recent college football history...and by a long shot.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="4down20, post: 13093141, member: 4629”]

But sure, it's just coincidence that every ranking formula...done by people "who understand math" all have some form of SoS.

The only problem with averages is that 49-50 and 1-100 average out to being equal, which is wrong. The more difficult schedule is the one that played #1 and #100 rather than #49-#50. However, when it comes to UCF specifically...they actually benefit from averages because they lack ANY such top games. I use a ranking system that doesn't suffer this problem as it doesn't use averages, but you are still barking up the wrong tree.[/QUOTE]

Some “form of SOS” is your problem. SOS is a metric. If someone changes that metric it’s a different metric. Think baseball. That should help you out.

And you’re also wrong about UCFs schedule since we played a ~Top 10 team. Playing UConn is the only reason why UCF and Bama didn’t have basically the same SOS last year. If we would not have played that game our SOS would have been better.

But it does sound like you understand the basic math behind averages. FYI there are many types.

And you’re in a UCF thread. I do as I please.

#UCFacts

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some “form of SOS” is your problem. SOS is a metric. If someone changes that metric it’s a different metric. Think baseball. That should help you out.

And you’re also wrong about UCFs schedule since we played a ~Top 10 team. Playing UConn is the only reason why UCF and Bama didn’t have basically the same SOS last year. If we would not have played that game our SOS would have been better.

But it does sound like you understand the basic math behind averages. FYI there are many types.

And you’re in a UCF thread. I do as I please.

#UCFacts

It's not my problem, it's your problem.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revealed at our Spring game last year:

ucf-national-championship-banner.png

All around our practice UCField where I hang out a bunch

os-ucf-national-champions-banner-0123

#UCFacts

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better claim than 04 Auburn I'll grant you that.
Auburn was undefeated and won the SEC West and SEC Championship in 2004.

Bama didn’t even win the Iron Bowl.

UCF 2017 National Champs

#UCFact

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Big 12 ... With Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis.
IIRC, the Big 12 looked at those four (and a few others) a couple of years ago and said "Thanks, but no thanks."

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn was undefeated and won the SEC West and SEC Championship in 2004.

Bama didn’t even win the Iron Bowl.

UCF 2017 National Champs

#UCFact
That's akin to saying since the Union beat the Confederacy, they'd have won the Vietnam War.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's akin to saying since the Union beat the Confederacy, they'd have won the Vietnam War.
Are you saying they couldn’t you commie bastard!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp you just proved that you don't understand SOS, at all. It's math. Not what you're doing there.

Go take another lap.

#UCFacts

Are you joking? Do you really think playing 4 top 25 teams is the same ranking as playing 3 top 25 teams? You just proved you don’t understand how SoS works.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you joking? Do you really think playing 4 top 25 teams is the same ranking as playing 3 top 25 teams? You just proved you don’t understand how SoS works.

How do you make this UCFallacy - massive mistake about conflating arbitrary rankings with SOS after I know read this:

More on SOS:

Does BS Preseason Rankings / Polls effect SOS?

Here is you're weekly SOS, UCFact.

SOS is not affected by rankings, polls or committees. Often times you'll hear "this or that team has a good SOS because they played a "ranked team."" That is completely wrong. SOS is simply a W/L calculation. It's an simple average of your opponents' winning %.

SOS is the most BS stat, and most misunderstood stat in all of sports. It's so misunderstood in UCFact that its become a misnomer to itself. #MindBlow

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

Damn, the lack of education in WV is scary.

#UCFacts

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you make this UCFallacy - massive mistake about conflating arbitrary rankings with SOS after I know read this:

Damn, the lack of education in WV is scary.

#UCFacts

You stated ALL B12 teams conference SoS is the same ranking.That is the fallacy. It’s not my fault you are UCFucking Reatrded.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCFalafels give me UCFarts about UCFive times every UCFriday

UCarry OnF