• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Rams NEED to draft Watkins

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I don't know why we would want to upgrade at a position that we don't need to upgrade! That would be like drafting a QB with the second pick "if" we already had a good QB, makes no sense, we need upgrades elsewhere!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way Clowney drops past No. 2.

If the Texans don't take Clowney and the Rams can't find a trade partner at 2 then we take him. Detriot has no shot unless they are willing to be one of those trade-up teams.

:nod:

wholly crapp VMike....for a second there I thought I was reading my own post. :laugh3:
WOW...we finally agree on something :suds:

Its good to see that you stop agreeing with Jacob.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wholly crapp VMike....for a second there I thought I was reading my own post. :laugh3:

lol, I've got nothing .....

:whistle:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've said all along I would have no problem if the Rams drafted Clowney with the No. 2 pick zeke. I just don't see a value trade down not happening if he is there.

Somebody will be willing to trade the farm and I like it!

Again it works more in our favor if we trade down a Clowney pick because we will free up cap space with all the young blood the rookie cap space will provide. It will give us options to keep Long and Quinn together for a long time.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I don't know why we would want to upgrade at a position that we don't need to upgrade! That would be like drafting a QB with the second pick "if" we already had a good QB, makes no sense, we need upgrades elsewhere!

1. Replacement for Long because we can't sign both long and Quinn
2. BPA

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Replacement for Long because we can't sign both long and Quinn
2. BPA

Disagree, Long will restructure. Vets always do because it's either that or him getting one year deals when he reaches 30 years old. This is the new NFL unfortunately

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way Clowney drops past No. 2.

If the Texans don't take Clowney and the Rams can't find a trade partner at 2 then we take him.
:nod:

I guess I've never read where you came out and said it!! At a Boy Vmike

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is good stuff SJ76. Man do I wish we had three number ones this year.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or... the more plausible outcome...

I can see it now......
Rams down by 6 points with under 2 minutes left in the game. The Rams need to score a TD to win. Its 3rd down and 15 on the Seattle 45 and the Rams are in a 3 wr set. With Sam Bradford in the shotgun position, the ball in snapped Bradford drops back, Sammy Watkins is WIDE OPEN in a sprint going down the field and Sam gets blindsided by a blitzing OLB.
OH...MY.... MY.... MY.....

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we trade down to Cleveland or maybe ATL. Someone in cleveland is going to make a knee jerk decision. The raiders love Manziel. It really depends on Houston?

But Watkins and Lewan would be sick.

I'd definitely sign off on that one. My only concern would be not having addressed the safety issue. But, I suppose there really isn't a safety available worth the #2 overall spot, either. Then again.... I'm with you, in the idea that this draft should be VERY "offense-centric".

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I have gotten to the point where I think there are 4 options as to what happens with the Rams first 2 picks:

A. We stay at #2, draft Watkins and then Lewan (or Matthews if he falls that far) at #13
B. We trade with Atlanta to #6, draft Robinson or Matthews and then the best available S at #13
C. We trade with Cleveland to #4, draft Mack at #4 and Lewan or Matthews at #13

or the newest possible scenario:

D We trade with Detroit to #10, draft Barr and Lewan or Matthews at #13.

However, I also think we may very well trade down from #13 into the higher teens (Dallas or NYJ probably) and still probably be able to get Lewan or one of the Safeties in these scenarios

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams need to draft guys who can generate points!!! The Defense, while not perfect, is not the big problem. Let's just hope the Rams don't trade down, down and down into another lackluster season. It's gotten real old.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They've had plenty of picks now and need to take beasts. Bellicose at doesn't trade many 1st or 2nd rounds. He likes to wheel and deal for picks more than anyone, but it's for 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silas, I hear you, but I also think that with the correct protection, Bradford can create opportunities for guys like Austin,Cook and Stacy to score points.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They've had plenty of picks now and need to take beasts. Bellicose at doesn't trade many 1st or 2nd rounds. He likes to wheel and deal for picks more than anyone, but it's for 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders.

In fairness... we're only 3 drafts into the Fisher draft era in St. Louis. Belichick has never had as many opportunities to trade top 10 draft picks, whereas we're going on our 3rd year having a total of 5 of them to work with. Plus, Snead and Fisher have done their fair share of dealing lower draft picks as well. I guarantee, if given the opportunity, Belichick would have been wheeling and dealing picks too, if he were in the Rams' position.

Also... rarely did Belichick concentrate on the consensus draft studs, or combine "workout warriors". He drafted for people who would fit his system and continues to draft in order to feed that system. He did the same thing in Cleveland and had them on the verge before they folded. Of course, he got lucky on a couple occasions (i.e. Tom Brady), but hey... a little luck now and again never hurts.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness... we're only 3 drafts into the Fisher draft era in St. Louis. Belichick has never had as many opportunities to trade top 10 draft picks, whereas we're going on our 3rd year having a total of 5 of them to work with. Plus, Snead and Fisher have done their fair share of dealing lower draft picks as well. I guarantee, if given the opportunity, Belichick would have been wheeling and dealing picks too, if he were in the Rams' position.

Also... rarely did Belichick concentrate on the consensus draft studs, or combine "workout warriors". He drafted for people who would fit his system and continues to draft in order to feed that system. He did the same thing in Cleveland and had them on the verge before they folded. Of course, he got lucky on a couple occasions (i.e. Tom Brady), but hey... a little luck now and again never hurts.

If he doesn't get lucky with Tom Brady, does he even keep his job?

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't get lucky with Tom Brady, does he even keep his job?

Lol. Good question.:clap: But my guess is yes. Lol.

Belichick is a great coach, no doubt. He was building something special in Cleveland, before they moved the show. What I always find funny though, is when people (usually Pats fans) try to tell me he's great because of his decision to draft Brady. Like he was some sort of genius for snagging him in the sixth round, because everybody else overlooked him and his hidden Hall of Fame talents.

A claim to which I always respond; "Really?.... Then why was he Drew Bledsoe's backup?". Lol. If Bledsoe doesn't get injured, we don't find out who Brady is for at least another 5 years... if ever.

It never hurts to get lucky now and again. Hopefully we can catch some of that kind of luck in St. Louis for once.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Good question.:clap: But my guess is yes. Lol.

Belichick is a great coach, no doubt. He was building something special in Cleveland, before they moved the show. What I always find funny though, is when people (usually Pats fans) try to tell me he's great because of his decision to draft Brady. Like he was some sort of genius for snagging him in the sixth round, because everybody else overlooked him and his hidden Hall of Fame talents.

A claim to which I always respond; "Really?.... Then why was he Drew Bledsoe's backup?". Lol. If Bledsoe doesn't get injured, we don't find out who Brady is for at least another 5 years... if ever.

It never hurts to get lucky now and again. Hopefully we can catch some of that kind of luck in St. Louis for once.

He had already moved from fourth string to backup, and without an injury would have taken over on his merits within a year or two.