• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why no rage?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we dont get Fowler, Mariota, Kevin White or Winston with the 7th pick, I hope they trade down to get the big man Green-Beckham and get our Calvin Johnson and another chance in the second. That guy is a beast.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well when you have the 7th pick,there are a lot of bpa`s.......which one to take?

literally the best football player regardless of position. The Bears have too many needs to get locked into one specific position with that #7. The scouts should just rank the guys by who they think is the most elite player, and take who is at the top of the list when #7 comes up. Pace seems to be saying that's what he is planning on doing, which if true is an approach I totally agree with. If that's a WR, then fine, take a WR.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kevin white.

Getting rid of Marshall did nothing but have to fill another void when we have huge pressing needs on the defense.
Damn we could have used a d-lineman,d-end or a l-backer with that no.1 pick.

I`m not sure should be going down that path,cause I am just totally confused what we are gonna be doing............Hopefully opening day of free agency clears up our defensive woes.
It sure won`t be a wr...........The top ones are gone.
So maybe you are right,we are going younger at wr.:noidea:

Didn't realize till a bit ago, that White has ties to Bears QB coach Groh. Guess he was down in Clemson for a while.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
literally the best football player regardless of position. The Bears have too many needs to get locked into one specific position with that #7. The scouts should just rank the guys by who they think is the most elite player, and take who is at the top of the list when #7 comes up. Pace seems to be saying that's what he is planning on doing, which if true is an approach I totally agree with. If that's a WR, then fine, take a WR.

BPA should be what position you need the most when you have a very high pick such as us..........and that spells de or lineman.
but yeah,being BM is no longer here,wr is another hole to fill.
especially now it looks like the Baltimore de is signing with us. I could go for wr then.:suds:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't realize till a bit ago, that White has ties to Bears QB coach Groh. Guess he was down in Clemson for a while.

If this is the route we go......White could fill that wr void that Pace left behind.And who better to know a college player than one that has seen him on a daily basis.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I think it would be more ridiculous to draft a WR first overall.
  1. We already had a WR in Marshall that averaged 1K+.
  2. We have a capable WR2 in Jeffery (who also did well in 2 of the last 3 games facing double coverage).
  3. According to some Jay won't make a WR any better anyway.
  4. Odds that rookies succeed in the NFL (even with average results) are generally not in their favor.
  5. We need much more help on the defensive side.

C

cubzzzfanincali

BPA should be what position you need the most when you have a very high pick such as us..........and that spells de or lineman.
especially now it looks like the Baltimore de is signing with us. I could go for wr then.:suds:

BPA is *defined* as not drafting by position. I mean, this isn't my opinion, that's what the term means. It means Best Player Available, as in regardless of position. What you are advocating is drafting by need, not BPA. It is a different philosophy.

In practice, while many teams talk about being BPA teams, most of them don't successfully do it...for long. The temptation is too great. This is in spite of the fact that the most sustainable dynasty-type teams are those who most closely have utilized it, the 2000s Steelers, the Packers, the Patriots. It's just too difficult for most GMs to resist taking the guy "they need", and passing on a better pure football player (according to the scouts). The best you can usually hope for is to at least use BPA amongst numerous positions. You start flat out picking just for positional need, there's your formula for a lot of the worst drafting teams in the NFL. That's a proven track record for mediocrity.

C

cubzzzfanincali

To be honest, I think it would be more ridiculous to draft a WR first overall.
  1. We already had a WR in Marshall that averaged 1K+.
  2. We have a capable WR2 in Jeffery (who also did well in 2 of the last 3 games facing double coverage).
  3. According to some Jay won't make a WR any better anyway.
  4. Odds that rookies succeed in the NFL (even with average results) are generally not in their favor.
  5. We need much more help on the defensive side.

I don't want us to either have to get a receiver nor avoid one automatically. We could use another great young WR. In this draft, we could probably get one in the later rounds, but if the scouts feel like we get lucky enough to draft the next Calvin Johnson, then yes, they should draft him.

To your points.

1. True, but Marshall is gone, and if you can get a younger, healthier, cheaper, less-dramatic replacement, and he helps the team, you do it.
2. True, but again, if the scouts feel an elite guy is there, and is the best guy available, you take another receiver.
3. True.
4. True, but the draft is about building for the future. 2015 is not a year we are winning the Super Bowl, the GM needs to build a good roster, which takes time, and which you do by drafting elite players when you have things like the #7 draft pick.
5. True. If an even better, more promising guy exists on the defensive side of the ball, you draft him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA is *defined* as not drafting by position. I mean, this isn't my opinion, that's what the term means. It means Best Player Available, as in regardless of position. What you are advocating is drafting by need, not BPA. It is a different philosophy.

In practice, while many teams talk about being BPA teams, most of them don't successfully do it...for long. The temptation is too great. This is in spite of the fact that the most sustainable dynasty-type teams are those who most closely have utilized it, the 2000s Steelers, the Packers, the Patriots. It's just too difficult for most GMs to resist taking the guy "they need", and passing on a better pure football player (according to the scouts). The best you can usually hope for is to at least use BPA amongst numerous positions. You start flat out picking just for positional need, there's your formula for a lot of the worst drafting teams in the NFL. That's a proven track record for mediocrity.

I know exactly what "BPA" is defined as........I just think you use that when your drafting in the lower drafting order.........not when you have a no.7.
Because at no.7,you very well are drafting a "BPA" at the position you need most...........if they have a rb at that so-called 'BPA",is that the route they take.....nah,didn`t think so.or te?.....nah,didn`t think so.O-lineman,nah.

If they take "BPA" on defense,makes a lot of sense.

So to me,'BPA" for any position should not exist until like the 15th pick .

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We know what Pace said on the subject... implied BPA. We will see what the draft holds and know something in the end, I think.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I want to hear with the 7th pick is, He was our #1 target, we are very pleased he was still there for the 7th pick. #7 is a difference making pick, should not be a settle pick because the guy you settle on might not go til later in the round.

I understand the BPA argument, I understand someone else will get picked 8,9,10th that might end up being a better player that we should have taken. At minimum, dont want Shea-itis. I want DE that played DE, a LB that played LB, a receiver that played receiver, not someone we will bulk up to play a position he didnt play before.

Tom Brady was chosen in the 6th round, Brian Urlacher was a safety called upon to be a middle linebacker, but he was a 258 pound safety. Those are two special players.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
>facepalm<

facepalm or not..........that's the way I feel about 'bpa"

a lot of those players are gonna be rated very close.So whatever we have ranked,another team will have them ranked a little different anyways.
So may be taking their "bpa"

its a dumb saying unless your drafting 15th and down.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I want to hear with the 7th pick is, He was our #1 target, we are very pleased he was still there for the 7th pick. #7 is a difference making pick, should not be a settle pick because the guy you settle on might not go til later in the round.

I understand the BPA argument, I understand someone else will get picked 8,9,10th that might end up being a better player that we should have taken. At minimum, dont want Shea-itis. I want DE that played DE, a LB that played LB, a receiver that played receiver, not someone we will bulk up to play a position he didnt play before.

Tom Brady was chosen in the 6th round, Brian Urlacher was a safety called upon to be a middle linebacker, but he was a 258 pound safety. Those are two special players.

:agree:

C

cubzzzfanincali

facepalm or not..........that's the way I feel about 'bpa"

a lot of those players are gonna be rated very close.So whatever we have ranked,another team will have them ranked a little different anyways.
So may be taking their "bpa"

its a dumb saying unless your drafting 15th and down.

Dude, it PRIMARILY applies to the top 15. Again, this isn't my opinion, that's the definition of the philosophy. You don't have to agree with what the football world calls it and whether it is a good idea or not, but if other people get confused when you don't use the term according to it's meaning, you'll know why.

C

cubzzzfanincali

That certain players ranked lower by scouts turn out way better than their scouting rating is true, but beside the point. In a draft, teams rank guys according to their scouts. Sure, sometimes the scouts are very wrong. A best player is simply a ranking according to their football ability only, and such a ranking may turn out to be very wrong. Brady's a perfect example. There's no doubt whatsoever that the lower you get in the draft, the more of a crapshoot it becomes. The whole thing is a crapshoot, just one that gets less and less skill-oriented for every pick as you move down the list.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually Urlacher started out at outside linebacker......it took an injury and some luck to put him in the middle