• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why lefties matter

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds have had no quality lefthanders in the rotation in years ...
A stat that proves useful ...
St. Louis hits .231 against southpaws and .261 against righties -- 30 points.
And that's the best team in the division.
When the Reds ask themselves where their pitching has gone, it's obvious that Cingrani and Chapman are not enough when one of them can't pitch and the other doesn't get to.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamb has been doing well. Last night he pitched 5 scoreless innings and only gave up a few hits. As soon as he got in trouble in the 6th Price pulled him. I would have liked to see if he could work out of it. Its not like the game meant that much and the bullpen lost it anyway.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a little disappointing when the math said Lamb could have gotten through the 7th. Price is a fucking idiot. Matheny outmanaged him at every turn in that game, all the way up to moving Piscotty to LF and letting Bourgis run for Peralta.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Reds management is on an all out mission to sell the fans on the idea they know what they are doing. To do this they have to make these pitchers look good. So if they pitch 5 good innings they will take them out before they can get into trouble.
It creates a positive, that way they can talk about this pitching staff, that's going to be great in a few years. This makes the fans hopeful and they continue to buy season tickets.
Makes me feel like I'm a sheep. But this is the way of professional sports. Bottom line is sell tickets and make money.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 teams in the last 50 years have won a World Series WITHOUT a LHSP, and 1 beat another team without one.

That is a 50 year sample size. Not a fluke. Until more than 10% win without a LHSP, I consider them a neccessity.

.....Another reason it's sabotage or stark stupidity not to start Chapman. Guaranteed sellout every 5th day, and a better stopper than any bad team has had since the Phillies had Steve Carlton.

..or not...we can all line up to see the 5 inning 7 man flotation rotation of the last month....or not.