• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Isn't Lovie Coaching?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the salary he is collecting, why do you think Lovie didn't accept a DC position or a HC position. He would be a valuable DC and even a decent HC.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrific HC? He was a stubborn HC especially with the offensive side. Hopefully he uses his experiences here and puts them to good use.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie is a top 10 coach he will be working again soon. I hope he finds a good GM this time, his only down fall was not in his control (drafting).

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any teams showed any real interest him.
Did he interview anywhere?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have been a massive improvement for the Titans but our 137 yr old owner felt it made more sense to stick with the status quo of sub-mediocrity we have now.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interviewed at KC, I thought.

Good Man. Good Coach, but absolutely stubborn with his dumb system.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lovie smith sucked for the money we spent he couldnt get it done glad he is gone play to win dont play not to lose thats what we had for 9 years

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie is a top 10 coach he will be working again soon. I hope he finds a good GM this time, his only down fall was not in his control (drafting).
Why isnt he coaching is the question. We all believe he will coach again, but why do you think he isn't coaching? I think he had enough input in drafting. Of course it is always on the GM, but I know Lovie wasn't standing there picking his behind while the draft was going on! But that is in the past and will see what happens in the future. I'm sure he will be coaching somewhere someday

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isnt he coaching is the question.

There were no openings that made sense. He is being paid 5 mil to sit. When the free money runs out he will quickly get a new job. He had offers to be a DC but want to be a HC , so why not wait a year. He will be a HC somewhere next year, that I can guarantee. He is respected league wide.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt anyone wants him for a HC. And doubt anyone wants to match the $7.5 mil he's getting from the Bears, to be a DC.
$7.5 mil is why he isn't coaching.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting paid a full year's salary while being "off"??? In a heart beat.. In a heart beat.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary is only half the reason as far as I am concerned. Lovie is not looking for handouts. He can do some side jobs announcing and staying in the game, but honestly, I think the man is exhausted. He outworked just about every head coach out there for a long time. Trestman really seems like a good choice to lead this current team with this GM, but sticking with the cover 2 is confusing. One play stood out, conte starts at the line, tears back 25 yards, tackles the guy that got the ball 20 yards which was 5 behind him.

Reboot, reset, relax and he will come back stronger than ever. Next year he might take a job with a friend as a DC, but if its not being hired by a friend, he will end up hiring friends where he goes.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you guys talking about? Lovie was an awful coach who made terrible in-game coaching decisions that cost us the playoffs on multiple occasions. He didn't work players near hard enough, which meant that the only players who truly developed were super self-motivated. And like it or not, there aren't 22 super self-motivated guys on most teams.

Worse, he proved that he couldn't win without the help of others. He was convinced that Rivera had too big of an ego after the Super Bowl. He was Lovie and he could win with or without Ron. The only problem shows that he was wrong. Undeniably wrong. He took a budding dynasty and relegated it to a .500 team for three years before he finally manned up and realized that he needed a good DC to win. And lo and behold, the very year that he hires a good DC, the team almost makes the Super Bowl. And they would have gone 12-4 the following year without the Cutler injury. Then last year, they went 10-6.

In other words, Lovie was Head Coach for nine seasons. Throwing out the first season, when we had awful players, he had major help on defense for five. And he had no major help on defense for three (when Babich or Lovie himself were DC). The five when he had help were all 10 win-quality teams. The three where he had no help had 0 ten win teams. Do you really think it is a coincidence?

Lovie ran a happy locker room. It had some benefits. He also brought in good position coaches and defensive coordinators a lot of the time. Other than that, he was hopelessly inept. He squandered eight years of stacked rosters. And unlike Bret Bielema (who is similar in many regards), he let his ego disrupt the one way that he could actually succeed as a coach. I am glad he's not our coach anymore.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Lovie had nothing to do with Rivera's departure, other than being cool, and letting him pursue loftier goals.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yes, I agree, he is a serviceable DC, at best.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Lovie had nothing to do with Rivera's departure, other than being cool, and letting him pursue loftier goals.

You are telling me that there wasn't an internal ego struggle? Certainly, the people who cover the Bears think it was Lovie's choice, not his. Being an LB coach in San Diego wasn't loftier. Especially when he was all but guaranteed to get a Head Coaching job if he stayed in Chicago for another year or two.

Both have kept very mum and classy on the topic, but I always thought Lovie was angry that Rivera got the credit instead of people realizing Lovie's genius as the master of the Tampa 2.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB coach is what he ended up with. He was being interviewed for a HC job, and it fell through. He was already committed to departure by then.

Mind you, all of this was during a Super Bowl run, adding distraction to a D, that was eventually dismantled in the second half of the SB against Indy. Ron's ego, started this, and his mind was elsewhere throughout that whole playoff run.

Would you keep on an employee, that you knew didn't want to be there, or if they did, only if they were to have YOUR job?

That argument against Lovie is just washed out. You wanna complain that he was stubborn, lacked in-game adjustments, or a cerebral aspect to coaching, I'm behind that 100%, but the Chico shit is old, and I, for one, am glad that he is not our HC.

And its not like the Panthers are some Dynasty with Rivera at the helm?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad he's gone, but ftr, I don't think a quote from an involved party, is objective. Everybody paints themselves out to be great.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are telling me that there wasn't an internal ego struggle? Certainly, the people who cover the Bears think it was Lovie's choice, not his. Being an LB coach in San Diego wasn't loftier. Especially when he was all but guaranteed to get a Head Coaching job if he stayed in Chicago for another year or two.

Both have kept very mum and classy on the topic, but I always thought Lovie was angry that Rivera got the credit instead of people realizing Lovie's genius as the master of the Tampa 2.

Same thing happened with Ditka, but he waited til after Ryan was carried off the field by the defense.

My biggest memory of the super bowl loss was Urlacher screaming to the sidelines about calling defensive plays to stop manning. I always thought he was yelling at Chico, but didnt know chico was not the man at that point in time.