• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Mo picking Pedey over cano news?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 9 points of OPS+ and having ~350 more games played.
Well give Pedroia 350 more games and he's still not going to hit 100 HR and drive in 300, so those stats still count for quite a bit on Cano's side.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he's still not going to hit 100 HR

he does have 100 homers

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief.... Rivera did not say Pedroia was better than Cano. He would just rather have a player that plays hard behind him.

Rivera says Red Sox Dustin Pedroia is "at the top of the list" of players he admires, adding: "Nobody plays harder, gives more, wants to win more. He comes at you hard for twenty-seven outs. It's a special thing to see."

He later writes, "If I have to win one game, I'd have a hard time taking anybody over Dustin Pedroia as my second baseman."
He further implies that Cano could be even better than he already is...

"This guy has so much talent I don't know where to start... There is no doubt that he is a Hall-of-Fame caliber (player). It's just a question of whether he finds the drive you need to get there. I don't think Robby burns to be the best... You don't see that red-hot passion in him that you see in most elite players."

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most defensive metrics had Pedroia ahead of Cano last year by a pretty decent margin (as much as ~10 runs).

Defensive metrics is just guesswork though. We can count exactly how many runners crossed home plate directly because of Robinson Cano's bat but when it comes to Dustin Pedroia's glove it's mostly Bill James speculating on the probability that something happens.

It's one thing to speculate about theoretical runs saved defensively when the discussion is close but it seems pointless to me when Robinson Cano is absolutely wailing on Dustin Pedroia at the plate these days.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Seattle fans picking up this debate where we left off, enjoy.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Seattle fans picking up this debate where we left off, enjoy.

It's funny how defensive some Seattle fans get about this. We're just not a baseball town anymore, which is sad. Reasonable discussion isn't really possible most of the time.

I troll the yanks a lot on here, but I think it's pretty obvious that it's just trolling.

Anyhoo....

Rivera's comments about were definitely written to try to sell more books. No question about that. I can't simply dismiss what he said about Cano, though. I don't think Rivera's a liar, and I think he meant what he said. Since he's obviously pretty knowledgeable about the game and played alongside Cano for 10 years, only a complete idiot would dismiss what he said.

The only thing I'd say is that the frothing at the mouth, uber-aggressive approach to playing might not benefit everybody. There's no guarantee that being that way would make Cano a better player.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said that if you put Pedroia's heart in Cano's body you'd have the greatest 2B in the history of MLB.