• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees Being Investigated For Tampering

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Tampering would be scheduling a lunch with Trout's agent and talking about Mike Trout. Tampering would be speaking to Mike Trout. Tampering would be contacting Mike Trout's family or friends.

Just mentioning Mike Trout as a point of reference is not tampering. Trout's agent wouldn't need this as a negotiating point. He could simply say "every team in MLB would give Mike Trout a 10-year contract today if he were available."

There are degrees of tampering, what you are describing are severe and blatant.

If this is considered tampering, it would be minor.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see how someone in the MLB would try to make this a tampering case since its the Yankees... But I don't think Levine was really saying anything about actually trying to sign him and just using him as an example...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doubt this will go anywhere, but yeah, it was tampering.

it would be nice to see the yanks get treated as an equal to every other team, but we all know they won't.

tireless know-nothing support from the peanut gallery on here notwithstanding.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's dumb if they are fined anything. Cezero would it have been tampering if the Mariners executives said the same thing, or is it just a Yankees thing?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's dumb if they are fined anything. Cezero would it have been tampering if the Mariners executives said the same thing, or is it just a Yankees thing?

nah, tampering is tampering

never have to worry about it with the m's, though. they prefer to give $200+ million deals to guys who will be raul ibanez's age before they're done. ;)

really hope they are fined, though any amount won't be disincentive for the yank$ to try cheating again. it's their thing.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still disagree with the tampering on this. I hate most of the upper management for the yank's but they're still my team. Levine is a moron most of the time, but he really was just stating the obvious. He said what everyone outside of Zduriencik would've said.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Tampering would be scheduling a lunch with Trout's agent and talking about Mike Trout. Tampering would be speaking to Mike Trout. Tampering would be contacting Mike Trout's family or friends.

Just mentioning Mike Trout as a point of reference is not tampering. Trout's agent wouldn't need this as a negotiating point. He could simply say "every team in MLB would give Mike Trout a 10-year contract today if he were available."

Of course it's tampering. It's not even debatable.

Levine might have meant as a reference point but it also let Trout (and the Angels) know he had a ten year deal waiting with the New York Yankees. If teams can just announce potential offers to players currently employed elsewhere then they might as well just do away with tampering rules altogether.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still disagree with the tampering on this. I hate most of the upper management for the yank's but they're still my team. Levine is a moron most of the time, but he really was just stating the obvious. He said what everyone outside of Zduriencik would've said.

And yet I haven't heard of anyone else saying it. So if they can control themselves, I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect Levine to be able to do the same.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps NY was sending a signal. Timing could not have been worse considering an extension was be contemplated. Tampering, I dont know. Its NY model to give long contracts mostly to mid/older players. Maybe they are trying to send a general signal they look to sign younger players. makes sense w/o a farm system. Problem is the league is spending more and signing their own youngsters to extensions.

Tough time to use FA to build a team

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the big deal is? Every team has a right to view each player the way they choose. If the Yankees have decided it's club policy to not offer 10 year deals to any player over 30 they have every right to go about building their team without doing so.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the big deal is? Every team has a right to view each player the way they choose. If the Yankees have decided it's club policy to not offer 10 year deals to any player over 30 they have every right to go about building their team without doing so.

But they directly announced they would give Trout 10 years while commenting on Cano.

That's what the big deal is.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps NY was sending a signal. Timing could not have been worse considering an extension was be contemplated. Tampering, I dont know. Its NY model to give long contracts mostly to mid/older players. Maybe they are trying to send a general signal they look to sign younger players. makes sense w/o a farm system. Problem is the league is spending more and signing their own youngsters to extensions.

Tough time to use FA to build a team

Teams are locking up young studs before they even reach free agency and I get the feeling that's going to continue. The days of "buying" teams might be something of the past.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they directly announced they would give Trout 10 years while commenting on Cano.

That's what the big deal is.

Who cares? Trout signed a 6 year deal with the Angels. The Angels can afford to keep him if they want when he becomes a free agent. Artie Moreno has the money to get it done without a problem. Trout won't be 30 when he becomes a free agent like Cano. If this is their club policy it's their business. Team don't have to give huge contracts to guys like Pujols & Cano if they don't want to.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? Trout signed a 6 year deal with the Angels. The Angels can afford to keep him if they want when he becomes a free agent. Artie Moreno has the money to get it done without a problem. Trout won't be 30 when he becomes a free agent like Cano. If this is their club policy it's their business. Team don't have to give huge contracts to guys like Pujols & Cano if they don't want to.

I don't think you understand what we're talking about here.

Cano isn't relative to the discussion at all. Mike Trout, specifically Levine's comments about signing him to a 10 year deal, is. MLB prohibits teams from talking to players signed from other teams. You can't just tell a player to hold off signing an extension because you'll give a longer contract. I'm sure the Angels cared very much that the Yankees effectively made that announcement.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you understand what we're talking about here.

Cano isn't relative to the discussion at all. Mike Trout, specifically Levine's comments about signing him to a 10 year deal, is. MLB prohibits teams from talking to players signed from other teams. You can't just tell a player to hold off signing an extension because you'll give a longer contract. I'm sure the Angels cared very much that the Yankees effectively made that announcement.

He used Trout as an example of a player he would give a 10 year contract to because he's under 30. Sorry, I don't view it as tampering. It's just not a big deal to me.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He used Trout as an example of a player he would give a 10 year contract to because he's under 30. Sorry, I don't view it as tampering. It's just not a big deal to me.

It's minor, but publicly discussing contract (potential contract) details of any player under contract with another team is tampering, there is just patently no argument it's not. Suppose Trout's agent uses that as leverage 'the Yankees would sign him to 10 years, their President said so publicly'

And yeah, it was obviously not malicious or even that egregious, but there is no discussion on it NOT being tampering. And fining them was the right decision.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that's exactly what tampering is.

You can't comment publicly about giving a 10 year contract to a player already under contract.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was clearly tampering.

Sorry Yank$ fan$, the rules still apply to your club, no matter how much "my$tique" you purcha$e every year.