• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rivera on Cano: "I don’t think Robby burns to be the best..."

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is.

Therefore, can we please stop calling this cheap gloryhound "classy"? If T.O., Tyson or Canseco did it, we'd demonize them. Why does Mariano get away with it?

The difference is that those three guys and the word "classy" were never used in the same sentence unless it was preceded by the word "not". They each had reps for being, at best, jackasses and, at worst, convicted felons (Tyson) and/or lunatics (Tyson again). Up until last year, when Rivera had his "farewell tour" that kinda rubbed some people the wrong way, I don't remember reading anything about him that would indicate he'd write a book that he would promote by throwing an ex-teammate under the bus. The guys you mentioned lost the "classiness" benefit of the doubt several controversies ago.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that those three guys and the word "classy" were never used in the same sentence unless it was preceded by the word "not". They each had reps for being, at best, jackasses and, at worst, convicted felons (Tyson) and/or lunatics (Tyson again). Up until last year, when Rivera had his "farewell tour" that kinda rubbed some people the wrong way, I don't remember reading anything about him that would indicate he'd write a book that he would promote by throwing an ex-teammate under the bus. The guys you mentioned lost the "classiness" benefit of the doubt several controversies ago.

Maybe a ban analogy, especially Tyson. But I'd just loved to sop having the "Mariano is so classy" bullshit shoved down my throat. The dude is a self-serving gloryhound. Period.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All about publicity.

Rivera's opinion is irrelevant, but this is a great way for him to generate publicity for his upcoming book release. Does it really matter what he thinks? He's throwing a former teammate under the bus to generate talk about him and his new book that was not even written by him. If Cano was still with the Yankees I doubt this would even be in the book.

Poorly reflects on Rivera if you ask me.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All about publicity.

Rivera's opinion is irrelevant, but this is a great way for him to generate publicity for his upcoming book release. Does it really matter what he thinks? He's throwing a former teammate under the bus to generate talk about him and his new book that was not even written by him. If Cano was still with the Yankees I doubt this would even be in the book.

Poorly reflects on Rivera if you ask me.

It does and I hope it's the last time he does something like this, because as much as every non-Yankee fan hates the Yankees, Rivera was always one of the few guys on that roster that had league-wide respect both from the other players in the league and other teams' fans. There haven't been many guys in the league as a whole who could announce that they were retiring after a particular year and not only receive gifts from opposing teams in their last stop at that team's ballpark, but unsolicited standing ovations from opposing fans. To ruin that by throwing people under the bus for a book would be a shame and totally unnecessary.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm thinking if this winning in Seattle continues and the team is in the hunt come September lets all pitch in and get Rivera a thank you card!:whistle:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his new book, Mariano Rivera said he'd take Dustin Pedroia over Robinson Cano. Why? Here you go:

Sounds like Cano and the M's front office are peas in a pod. A match made in heaven.

Mariano Rivera: I?d take Dustin Pedroia over Robinson*Cano | SI Wire

In the years that I have been watching baseball, the two pitchers with the widest strike zones were Greg Maddux and Mo Rivera. I respect Mo for what he accomplished, but there is no doubt that he got alot of help from the homeplate umpires.

After for as rich and well known as that dude is, his wife is buttface ugly. I thought Vince Wilfork had the ugliest wife for a professional athlete until I saw Mo's. That woman should be on a leash.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After for as rich and well known as that dude is, his wife is buttface ugly. I thought Vince Wilfork had the ugliest wife for a professional athlete until I saw Mo's. That woman should be on a leash.

Damn dude, you ain't kidding! :agree:

She looks like a Berenstain Bear.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cano stays in New York, Mariano wouldn't have an opinion.

He should just be glad he never got caught with a needle in his arm is all I have to say.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivera's comments about Cano were definitely written to try to sell more books. No question about that. I can't simply dismiss what he said about Cano, though. I don't think Rivera's a liar, and I think he meant what he said. Since he's obviously pretty knowledgeable about the game and played alongside Cano for 10 years, only a complete idiot would completely dismiss what he said.

The only thing I'd say is that the frothing at the mouth, uber-aggressive approach to playing might not benefit everybody. There's no guarantee that being that way would make Cano a better player.

The sources that have said this about Cano are myriad and mostly reputable, though.

I'm fine to feel ambiguous about this.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn dude, you ain't kidding! :agree:

She looks like a Berenstain Bear.

She's ugly and fat alright but she isn't beyond normal ugly, I've seen way worse. What's really ugly is Mo for what he said about Cano and we sure as hell know he wouldn't be spewing that garbage if Robby was still a Yankee. I no longer respect Rivera.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not cool going after a guy's wife. Say what you want about him, but let's leave his wife out of it.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not cool going after a guy's wife. Say what you want about him, but let's leave his wife out of it.

Now now. I wasn't going after his wife. If I was going to go after his wife, I'd bring a steak and a choke collar with me.