• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why go to 2nd for third out???

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are trained well, you never think during play. It is all reaction(in the infield). Or, at least, that is what I was taught.
Yes. The training should be to go to first. That’s my point. You don’t have to think of any variables (is the runner stealing, is 2B shifted deep in the hole, did runner get a great secondary lead, etc)... just throw it to first.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The training should be to go to first. That’s my point. You don’t have to think of any variables (is the runner stealing, is 2B shifted deep in the hole, did runner get a great secondary lead, etc)... just throw it to first.

Like I said earlier, it sounds logical, but I would like data to support it.

Also, all those scenarios are practiced. Yes, it does become reactionary.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwards induces fielder's choice

Scenario: Two outs, runner on first, routine grounder to the left side.

The infielder will almost always go to 2nd for the third out. It's my contention that they should go to 1st. I show an example above of when the throw to 2nd goes as routinely as possible. Even in that example, you see 2B hurrying to beat the runner, trying to catch the ball and find the bag at the same time as the runner is sliding in right behind.

Add to that, what if the 2B is playing deep, or the runner gets a great jump, it gets dicier.

This is MLB, not little league. A throw to 1st is longer, but just as routine as a throw to second.

To recap:
2b might be playing deep
Runner might get a great jump
2b has a much longer path to the base than 1b
2b has to be catching the ball while searching for the bag
Runner is almost always sliding in as the play is made at 1b

You take all those variables out if you just take that routine grounder and make a routine throw to first for the third out.

FYI: The Cubs lost a game this year on a play to 2nd where 2b was playing deep and the runner beat the throw to 2nd.

One game can surely be important!

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs scores in the fifth today because the Marlins elected to go to second for the third out on a routine grounder... and it wasn’t in time.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs scores in the fifth today because the Marlins elected to go to second for the third out on a routine grounder... and it wasn’t in time.

Welp there is the 2nd mistake out of a 1,000,000,000 now lol

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3