• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

why did michigan let richrod slip away again?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 Michigan- 3-9
2009 Michigan- 5-7
2010 Michigan- 7-6

In Rich Rod's 3 seasons at Michigan, they made one bowl game where they were blown out by Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl.

A storied program like Michigan and a 3 year record of 15-22 isn't gonna cut it.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very close.

If Les Miles looses to Jacksonville Stae would LSU fans call for his head? It wouldn't matter if they won their div title or would have been a top 20 team in Div 1-A. People would force the school to retire him.

Same thing happened after Appy St. People forget after losing to Appy UofM beat Notre Dame, PennState, MSU, and Florida in a bowl.

Problem is and has been the A-holes in power at A2 have no clue on how to pick a head coach. And a BCS power is now an average MAC team.

Les would never lose to Jacksonville State....

:suds:

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omega 13 worthy...

Honestly he was a terrible fit in Michigan. When I saw him hired in Michigan I expected a crash amd burn. Yet when he was hired at Arizona I felt it was a perfect match. Michigan required him completely change what they had in place where as Arizona's offense did not require as drastic a change.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The back to back losses to start '07 sealed his fate.

His contract was up that year -- he planned to retire prior to those games even happening.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has two very good wins against Oregon and a win against a USC team that was top 10 at the time. Rich Rod completely outcoached Helfrich in both of those games and getting a win against a top 10 team is something ASU hasn't done in forever.

But he has to prove he can build off of this momentum and not go on to lose to a team like Washington State. Just last week Arizona needed 39 4th quarter points and a last second Hail Mary to beat Cal at home. He has yet to finish a season with a winning conference record and has padded his records with weak OOC schedules (I know these games were scheduled before he got the job but he doesn't have another power 5 team on the schedule until 2022).

As far as recruiting goes according to Scout they only have 2 spots left in the current class and have an average star rating of 2.74. So while he's done a lot better than previous UA coaching staffs he still has a lot to prove.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this. We at Arizona couldnt be happier with Rich Rod. The city of tucson has completely embraced he and his coaching staff. The city is desperate to have a relevant football program and we feel that Rich Rod has done an excellent job of turning this program around. We understand that we have a long ways to go still but the last 3 years have set a solid foundation and it's exciting to say the least. We're more than pleased to have him as our coach.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has two very good wins against Oregon and a win against a USC team that was top 10 at the time. Rich Rod completely outcoached Helfrich in both of those games and getting a win against a top 10 team is something ASU hasn't done in forever.

But he has to prove he can build off of this momentum and not go on to lose to a team like Washington State. Just last week Arizona needed 39 4th quarter points and a last second Hail Mary to beat Cal at home. He has yet to finish a season with a winning conference record and has padded his records with weak OOC schedules (I know these games were scheduled before he got the job but he doesn't have another power 5 team on the schedule until 2022).

As far as recruiting goes according to Scout they only have 2 spots left in the current class and have an average star rating of 2.74. So while he's done a lot better than previous UA coaching staffs he still has a lot to prove.

Scooby Wright was a 2 star recruit and look how good he's turned out. Stars don't mean shit; it's what the coaching staff does with the players that counts.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scooby Wright was a 2 star recruit and look how good he's turned out. Stars don't mean shit; it's what the coaching staff does with the players that counts.

Players like him are the exception not the rule. Going through the Scout database the closest thing I could find to a Pac 12 champion who didn't have at least one top 10 recruiting class in the previous 4 years was 2007 ASU, and that doesn't really count because they shared it with a USC team that killed them at home.

Todd Graham was able to do pretty well with a team of mainly 3 stars last year but you saw what happened when ASU ran into a physically more dominant Stanford team.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 Michigan- 3-9
2009 Michigan- 5-7
2010 Michigan- 7-6

3 wins the first year, 5 wins the second year, and 7 wins the 3rd year. No matter which way you slice it, their record improved every year. Jim Harbaugh's record at Stanford his first three years was 4-8, 5-7, and 8-5. Looks eerily similar doesn't it? But the folks at Stanford were smart enough to realize that the payoff was finally coming. They went 12-1 in Harbaugh's 4th year. One can only speculate what Michigan's record might have been if they'd have waited for the payoff on Rich Rod. But considering that Hoke went 11-2 that year with the team the Rich Rod built...

A storied program like Michigan and a 3 year record of 15-22 isn't gonna cut it.

Well then it was kinda stupid of Michigan to bring in a guy who needs more than just 3 years to bring in his type of players, to run his type of system, and be a legitimate contender in a tough conference. Real stupid actually.

I've seen a lot of Michigan fans who have admitted it. But most still seem to be in denial about the fact that Michigan pulled the plug on Rich Rod too soon.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract was up that year -- he planned to retire prior to those games even happening.

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Carr convinced to came back for one more year?

I do believe the thinking was the he would ride the team of Henne/Hart/Long to one last Big Ten/national title, then ride off into the sunset. While that didn't quite happen, he did get a good send-off game.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was Nick Saban..lol

My bad I thought that was before St Nick...maybe Dinardo I just didn't want to research it. I just remember a shit storm after that loss.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this. We at Arizona couldnt be happier with Rich Rod. The city of tucson has completely embraced he and his coaching staff. The city is desperate to have a relevant football program and we feel that Rich Rod has done an excellent job of turning this program around. We understand that we have a long ways to go still but the last 3 years have set a solid foundation and it's exciting to say the least. We're more than pleased to have him as our coach.

Rich Rod is a better fit in the PAC 10. Better weather, more open style of play, and if he gets to a one game matchup you always have a shot. In the B1G where weather is a factor and the teams are generally bigger than the type of guy he lies not so much.

I would like to know what Alabama would have looked like if e took that job?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Rod is a better fit in the PAC 10. Better weather, more open style of play, and if he gets to a one game matchup you always have a shot. In the B1G where weather is a factor and the teams are generally bigger than the type of guy he lies not so much.

I would like to know what Alabama would have looked like if e took that job?

I'm curious as to what constitutes as a "Michigan man?" Is it simply being a Michigan alumni or are there other criteria involved? I don't know much about the Rich Rods tenure at Michigan other than the typical hear say but it sounds like he wasn't given a fair shot. I mean he didnt have his entire coaching staff right? In particular Jeff Casteel. From the outside looking in, it appears as though RR wasn't given enough time to prove his worth. Just trying to understand that situation a little better.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious as to what constitutes as a "Michigan man?" Is it simply being a Michigan alumni or are there other criteria involved? I don't know much about the Rich Rods tenure at Michigan other than the typical hear say but it sounds like he wasn't given a fair shot. I mean he didnt have his entire coaching staff right? In particular Jeff Casteel. From the outside looking in, it appears as though RR wasn't given enough time to prove his worth. Just trying to understand that situation a little better.

Well that is a point of contention I think. So basically there are two versions of a "Michigan Man," what Bo meant when he coined the phrase, and what it has turned into. At one time the two were synmous, but it has since devolved into people thinking that the coach needs some kind of previous Michigan connection, which 3 of the 4 best coaches did not; Yost, Crisler, and Schembechler himself.

So let's take a step back into the origin of the phrase. It was in 1989, Bo Schemblecher had jsut retired as the football coach and had taken the job as the AD. The basketball team under Bill Frieder had just made it into the NCAA tournament, but that didn't stop Frieder from going down to Arizona State to interview for the job opening there right before the start of the tournament. The thing is he didn't tell anyone in the Michigan athletic department what he was doing, and when Bo found out he called up Frieder. And when Frieder stated not to worry, that he would be back in time to coach the team for the tournament Bo replied "no you won't" and fired him on the spot with the statement "a Michigan Man will coach Michigan."
Bo recounts the event in a chapter in Bo's Lasting Lessons
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bos-Lasting-Lessons-Fundamentals-Leadership/dp/044658200X]Bo's Lasting Lessons: The Legendary Coach Teaches the Timeless Fundamentals of Leadership: Bo Schembechler, John U. Bacon: 9780446582001: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
A book I highly recommend everyone reads.

It wasn't so much that Frieder had interviewed for the Arizona State job, it was that he didn't tell anyone about what he was doing. In fact, had Frieder been up front with Bo, he would have helped him out with the job transitition.

So now we got the backstory out of the way, we can come into what a "Michigan Man" is, which is a man that does things the right way. The he carries himself with honor and intergity. And also realizes that what is more important that wins and loses, is how you prepared those young men on the team for life beyond Michigan. So in that regard, despite his troubles I do feel that Hoke is a Michigan Man, it'd just be nice if he won a few more football games.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players like him are the exception not the rule. Going through the Scout database the closest thing I could find to a Pac 12 champion who didn't have at least one top 10 recruiting class in the previous 4 years was 2007 ASU, and that doesn't really count because they shared it with a USC team that killed them at home.

Todd Graham was able to do pretty well with a team of mainly 3 stars last year but you saw what happened when ASU ran into a physically more dominant Stanford team.

Look at Michigan State, we have just got our second top 25 recruiting class since 2002, no top 15 classes ever, and our first 5 star recruit according to Rivals. It can be done but it is rare.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, RR had him for 3 years. Denard broke the record for rushing yards for a QB under RR. We won 5 games.

No he didn't He had D-Rob for two years.
Year One Sheridan and Threet
Year Two Forcier (and Denard)
Year Three Denard has a monster year (then gets trashed against Miss St.)

Hokemania
Year One SugarBowl Denard
Year Two Denard gets injured playing the corn fuckers

Last edited by a moderator: