• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whos the top 10 coaches in the NBA

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insulting the owner of the site is probably going to make your stay here short lived.

He's a shitty old troll. He's either 11or clinically retarded or both.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he should be anywhere near the top 5, but I would have Stan Van Gundy in the top 10. That Pistons team was a HOT mess when he took it over last year. Having started the season 5-23, he made a few changes and was still able to get to 32 wins out of his team. I'll be anxious to see what he does these next two seasons. I think Detroit has enough young talent that if they could lure a big free agent, they could become a big player in a weak Eastern Conference. (although when they bump the salary cap up after next year, I've got a feeling that the Knicks and Boston may just make some big moves to jump to the top of the conference again)

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he should be anywhere near the top 5, but I would have Stan Van Gundy in the top 10. That Pistons team was a HOT mess when he took it over last year. Having started the season 5-23, he made a few changes and was still able to get to 32 wins out of his team. I'll be anxious to see what he does these next two seasons. I think Detroit has enough young talent that if they could lure a big free agent, they could become a big player in a weak Eastern Conference. (although when they bump the salary cap up after next year, I've got a feeling that the Knicks and Boston may just make some big moves to jump to the top of the conference again)
Detroit does have young talent but can they keep it? Odds are Monroe walks this summer. They can't keep both Jennings and Jackson. So for young talent they have a point guard (both who are streaky), a streaky SG, and an athletic center who still needs to develop. That really isn't a lot to lure a big free agent.
It looks a lot better if they can keep Monroe and get a hit in the draft at SF.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quin Snyder should be getting some recognition next year. The Jazz really came on at the end of the year. Once they were able to get rid of Kanter and put Gobert in the starting lineup, they've become a defensive force. They're a PG away from being a playoff team.

Also with respect to Steven's, he's got to be in consideration for a top 10 coach. I don't get to see a lot of the Celtics but every game I've seen them play the Celtics play with intensity, focus and drive. Personally I believe the Celtics are probably one of the least talented teams in the NBA, but Stevens got them prepared for every game. Also I believe Stevens to be a great in-game coach. He makes necessary adjustments and you can tell he knows his stuff.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy if there was such a thing as 10 top coaches in the NBA. Most of them in my opinion are shitty coaches and there are only two or three top coaches.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit does have young talent but can they keep it? Odds are Monroe walks this summer. They can't keep both Jennings and Jackson. So for young talent they have a point guard (both who are streaky), a streaky SG, and an athletic center who still needs to develop. That really isn't a lot to lure a big free agent.
It looks a lot better if they can keep Monroe and get a hit in the draft at SF.

I don't think losing Monroe hurts them very much. Actually, I think they he will likely get overpaid in free agency, and be a weight around the neck of whoever signs him. I wouldn't mind having him back, but I think he is asking for north of $14 million a year (I think the Pistons offered him 4 year $58 million and he turned it down). IMO, he's probably worth no more than $10-12 million.

If they can keep Drummond and one of Jackson or Jennings for the next 2-3 years, they will have a decent base to work with. They will have to develop KPope into becoming a good role player, but in the NBA, all you need is 2-3 good to great players, and a handful of role players, and you can be VERY successful. Van Gundy needs to really do well with the Pistons first pick this year in the draft, and if they can squeeze out 35-40 wins next year, I think they could lure a high end free agent to come to Detroit. We'll see, regardless SVG did a GREAT job coaching this team last year, and I think the proof was how well they did in the last 50 games of the season. The first 30 were beyond terrible, and I wouldn't blame him for it as he inherited this team and their flaws.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think losing Monroe hurts them very much. Actually, I think they he will likely get overpaid in free agency, and be a weight around the neck of whoever signs him. I wouldn't mind having him back, but I think he is asking for north of $14 million a year (I think the Pistons offered him 4 year $58 million and he turned it down). IMO, he's probably worth no more than $10-12 million.

If they can keep Drummond and one of Jackson or Jennings for the next 2-3 years, they will have a decent base to work with. They will have to develop KPope into becoming a good role player, but in the NBA, all you need is 2-3 good to great players, and a handful of role players, and you can be VERY successful. Van Gundy needs to really do well with the Pistons first pick this year in the draft, and if they can squeeze out 35-40 wins next year, I think they could lure a high end free agent to come to Detroit. We'll see, regardless SVG did a GREAT job coaching this team last year, and I think the proof was how well they did in the last 50 games of the season. The first 30 were beyond terrible, and I wouldn't blame him for it as he inherited this team and their flaws.
I think you vastly underrate Monroe. He was #7 PF in the league by PER. His consistency and passing down low are great assets. Even over paying him this year, if you get him long term, will not hurt as the salary cap is going to go way up over the next couple of years. You can't get and equivalent replacement without paying and there aren't many better.

I agree that all you need in the NBA is 2-3 great players and a handful of role players, but I don't see the Pistons having that if Monroe walks. Drummond is borderline great, he still has a lot of work to do, and the others are far too streaky to be close to great. 35-40 wins will not lure a top free agent to Detroit. Luckily, the Pistons should do better than that, or Van Gundy is a disappointment. He got 32 wins with a season that started with Josh Smith, lost a surging Jennings, and saw Monroe miss 13 games in his first season coaching them. If he has a healthy roster they should be significantly better or Van Gundy hasn't done his job.

They should do everything that they can do to resign Monroe and draft Stanley Johnson. A starting 5 of Jennings, KCP, Johnson, Monroe, and Drummond with Meeks and Butler coming off the bench and Tolliver to come in as a stretch 4 for a change of pace would be a nice thing to see in Detroit.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should do everything that they can do to resign Monroe and draft Stanley Johnson. A starting 5 of Jennings, KCP, Johnson, Monroe, and Drummond with Meeks and Butler coming off the bench and Tolliver to come in as a stretch 4 for a change of pace would be a nice thing to see in Detroit.
That does sound pretty nice

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you vastly underrate Monroe. He was #7 PF in the league by PER. His consistency and passing down low are great assets. Even over paying him this year, if you get him long term, will not hurt as the salary cap is going to go way up over the next couple of years. You can't get and equivalent replacement without paying and there aren't many better.

I agree that all you need in the NBA is 2-3 great players and a handful of role players, but I don't see the Pistons having that if Monroe walks. Drummond is borderline great, he still has a lot of work to do, and the others are far too streaky to be close to great. 35-40 wins will not lure a top free agent to Detroit. Luckily, the Pistons should do better than that, or Van Gundy is a disappointment. He got 32 wins with a season that started with Josh Smith, lost a surging Jennings, and saw Monroe miss 13 games in his first season coaching them. If he has a healthy roster they should be significantly better or Van Gundy hasn't done his job.

If Monroe turned down nearly $15 million a year from the Pistons already, what do you think it will take for the Pistons to sign him? Drummond is 21 years old, and averaged about 13 pts and 13 rebs last year IIRC. I think he has more upside than Monroe right now. IMO, Monroe has reached his peak. He has averaged between 15-16 ppg, and 9-10 rpg while shooting under 50% for the past 3 seasons. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep him, but if it costs Detroit $16+ million and 5 years to get him, I don't think he is worth the long term investment.

35-40 wins was only if they lose Monroe and don't replace him. If they lose Monroe and win 40 games next year, it would be a great season for the Pistons. (and probably a playoff spot) I think they could do it, just because of what I saw Van Gundy do last year with the Pistons.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, guys. He's gone. He's a shitty old troll originally known as The Admiral.

Hammer to The Admiral:

83556320_zps55d1ce93.gif

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Monroe turned down nearly $15 million a year from the Pistons already, what do you think it will take for the Pistons to sign him?
Showing they are committed to him by waiving Smith?:noidea:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how he said top ten coaches, then only listed 9. I knew education was bad in this country, but I thought everyone would be able to count to ten...

I am more offended by the OPs use of singular when plural is called for

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showing they are committed to him by waiving Smith?:noidea:

You do know he turned down the Pistons offer before they cut Smith and took much less money to become a FA? Regardless, we all saw what happened to this team when they cut Smith. If anyone in that locker didn't see how cutting Smith was a home run move by the Pistons, then they just aren't interested in the Pistons becoming a better team and need to find a new home. It literally felt like they immediately became a playoff threat (although staring the season 5-25 tends to be too big a hole to dig out of to make the playoffs).

Monroe was offered a HUGE contract by the Pistons for what he has produced in his career. He turned it down because he feels like he is a max or near max money player. You may disagree, but he just isn't worth it IMO. Again, I'd love to see him in Detroit, but I'd rather not them tie up superstar type money on him.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know he turned down the Pistons offer before they cut Smith and took much less money to become a FA?
That was exactly my point. Yes, he turned down the offer before they cut Smith partly because he wasn't happy splitting time with Smith and didn't see the team committed to him by having Smith at the same position. By cutting Smith, not only is the team better, it could show Monroe that the team is now committed to him and help keep him here.
Regardless, we all saw what happened to this team when they cut Smith. If anyone in that locker didn't see how cutting Smith was a home run move by the Pistons, then they just aren't interested in the Pistons becoming a better team and need to find a new home. It literally felt like they immediately became a playoff threat (although staring the season 5-25 tends to be too big a hole to dig out of to make the playoffs).

Monroe was offered a HUGE contract by the Pistons for what he has produced in his career. He turned it down because he feels like he is a max or near max money player. You may disagree, but he just isn't worth it IMO. Again, I'd love to see him in Detroit, but I'd rather not them tie up superstar type money on him.
Why don't you think that Monroe is worth max money? What PF would you bring in to be a better value? It is hard enough to get any FA to Detroit, one as good as Monroe would be really difficult. If sign him to a max this year it is a bargain and the salary cap, and therefore the max, is due for a LARGE increase in the next few years.

It is all moot as he is likely walking anyhow.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was exactly my point. Yes, he turned down the offer before they cut Smith partly because he wasn't happy splitting time with Smith and didn't see the team committed to him by having Smith at the same position. By cutting Smith, not only is the team better, it could show Monroe that the team is now committed to him and help keep him here.
Why don't you think that Monroe is worth max money? What PF would you bring in to be a better value? It is hard enough to get any FA to Detroit, one as good as Monroe would be really difficult. If sign him to a max this year it is a bargain and the salary cap, and therefore the max, is due for a LARGE increase in the next few years.

It is all moot as he is likely walking anyhow.

I honestly don't think that Monroe will be as popular a FA as he thinks he will be. From what I've read, many teams are saving their money for the HUGE FA market that will happen after the 2016 and 2017 season when the cap is raised. I think many teams will be gun shy to pull a trigger on a guy like Monroe because they will want to have PLENTY of money to throw at franchise changing players. With less demand, usually you get a lower price. If you ask me my gut feeling, I think Monroe comes back to Detroit and asks them to again offer the 4 year $58 million deal again. He is already established there.

IMO, I don't think it is a matter of finding a better PF for Detroit, but just one that would be cheaper and would give them decent stat lines. Even with the increase to the salary cap coming, do you want a guy who averages 16 ppg and 10 rpg, taking up a large chunk of your cap space? The league has become a 1-3 league. The 4 and 5 spots are just not worth what they once were worth (the Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Ewing, etc. years). The game has moved perimeter.

The cap is expected to surpass the $80 million mark in 2016, and $100 million in 2017, so maybe you are correct that signing Monroe to an $16-18+ million per year contract wouldn't hurt too much. I just would hate to sign him to a 5 year deal, and miss the opportunity to sign a bigger FA. In 2016 and 2017, it will be a wild west shootout for free agency. I think literally every big name will be available for FA during those two seasons. So if the Pistons have a decent base talent that isn't two expensive, I think they could land 1-2 second tier elite NBA guys during that period. Although it may cost them 50+% of their cap. Probably just wishful thinking, but cash is king.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't think that Monroe will be as popular a FA as he thinks he will be. From what I've read, many teams are saving their money for the HUGE FA market that will happen after the 2016 and 2017 season when the cap is raised. I think many teams will be gun shy to pull a trigger on a guy like Monroe because they will want to have PLENTY of money to throw at franchise changing players. With less demand, usually you get a lower price. If you ask me my gut feeling, I think Monroe comes back to Detroit and asks them to again offer the 4 year $58 million deal again. He is already established there.

IMO, I don't think it is a matter of finding a better PF for Detroit, but just one that would be cheaper and would give them decent stat lines. Even with the increase to the salary cap coming, do you want a guy who averages 16 ppg and 10 rpg, taking up a large chunk of your cap space? The league has become a 1-3 league. The 4 and 5 spots are just not worth what they once were worth (the Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Ewing, etc. years). The game has moved perimeter.

The cap is expected to surpass the $80 million mark in 2016, and $100 million in 2017, so maybe you are correct that signing Monroe to an $16-18+ million per year contract wouldn't hurt too much. I just would hate to sign him to a 5 year deal, and miss the opportunity to sign a bigger FA. In 2016 and 2017, it will be a wild west shootout for free agency. I think literally every big name will be available for FA during those two seasons. So if the Pistons have a decent base talent that isn't two expensive, I think they could land 1-2 second tier elite NBA guys during that period. Although it may cost them 50+% of their cap. Probably just wishful thinking, but cash is king.
I will just have to agree to disagree with you.
How many guys are there out the that average 16ppg and 10rpg? That is very good quality and not eating up cap space, that is production.
It doesn't make sense to save your money for when the cap increases and players are demanding more money. Monroe is a quality player and if you can sign him under the current cap it gives you the ability to sign another FA when you have more money under the future cap. I think he will be a very popular free agent because teams feel they can get a quality player for cheap relative to what he would cost in the future.
I also disagree of your assessment of the league. Yes, the jump shooters play a bigger role these days, but you still can't win it all without quality bigs. And the quality bigs are rarer and quality guards seem to be common these days. I don't want to see a giveaway of Monroe, a quality big, because they want to settle for jump shooting.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a very popular free agent because teams feel they can get a quality player for cheap relative to what he would cost in the future.

From what I've read, the Pistons are in the drivers seat with Monroe. From my perspective, that is a pretty big shift from a year ago with Monroe. I'm thinking his agent hasn't gotten much traction from other teams, and now is looking back at the offer Detroit had on the table for him last fall.

I guess we'll see. Again, I like Monroe, but it appears that every big name in the NBA is likely to be sold to the highest bidder in the next 2-3 seasons. I've got a feeling that everything in the league is going to get A LOT more expensive, and teams are going to be squeezing every penny they got in order to have a shot at the top NBA talent that could literally win them a title in year one.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, the Pistons are in the drivers seat with Monroe. From my perspective, that is a pretty big shift from a year ago with Monroe. I'm thinking his agent hasn't gotten much traction from other teams, and now is looking back at the offer Detroit had on the table for him last fall.

I guess we'll see. Again, I like Monroe, but it appears that every big name in the NBA is likely to be sold to the highest bidder in the next 2-3 seasons. I've got a feeling that everything in the league is going to get A LOT more expensive, and teams are going to be squeezing every penny they got in order to have a shot at the top NBA talent that could literally win them a title in year one.
Everything that I have seen has said Greg Monroe is as good as gone to the Knicks.
If teams want to sign a big name free agent and win a title in year one after the salary cap grows they will still need other quality players, like Monroe, for them to play with on the roster. Getting a quality big man now, even at the current cap, would be a great move to have to bring in another top flight free agent with money under the new, expanded cap in the future.
If they let Monroe walk, and don't bring in someone of equal quality, why wouldn't Drummond seek out the max he will be able to demand elsewhere that has more quality players instead of staying in Detroit?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything that I have seen has said Greg Monroe is as good as gone to the Knicks.
If teams want to sign a big name free agent and win a title in year one after the salary cap grows they will still need other quality players, like Monroe, for them to play with on the roster.

The real question is, can they get near quality guys like Monroe for cheaper and lesser years? IMO, those guys are or will be available in the next few years. No one is building a franchise around Monroe, nor IMO, would he even be a good #2 guy on a quality playoff team. So why pay him like he is? He is a VERY good big guy, but would only bring a team success if he had 2 superstars on his team. There is nothing shiny about him, and he doesn't change a game without having other superstars with him.

If they let Monroe walk, and don't bring in someone of equal quality, why wouldn't Drummond seek out the max he will be able to demand elsewhere that has more quality players instead of staying in Detroit?

I think it will be the perfect storm to keep guys like Drummond in 2-3 years. There is no doubt that this new contract will trigger an auction style fantasy draft situation for most NBA teams, especially those from big markets. Teams will overpay for talent, and then tie their hands for 5-6 years. This will limit where FA's can go during that time, which should make things cheaper, as there will be less money to go around once the big names take much bigger chunks of salary cap space.