• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's got it better than us.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love me some Harbaugh.

Now go grab a rule book

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...did a coach just pay Alex Smith a compliment?? Did you see how happy he looked?? He's come a long way in a short time from the home crowds chanting for Carr.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV cameras caught Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz appearing to yell, "Know the rules, Harbaugh!"

Where's that in the protocol handbook?.....what a whiny douchebag.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made this point in the game thread at the time. Kickoffs from the 35 routinely end up deep in the endzone anyway, so by tacking the 15 yards onto the kickoff, it's a guaranteed touch back. It's essentially a 0 yard penalty.

Sorry, must of missed it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I got chills watching that!! You guys are too critical. I think we have all seen Harbaugh get better every game, the same mantra he preaches to his players. Get better everyday!!!

yep, we too easily forget Harbaugh's a rookie NFL head coach. as in all new jobs, some learning naturally takes place. but HC also use other people to help them, such as a reply guy and i'd think a time clock guy? this person or people, must sharpen their decisions too.

AdjustingRoutes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Love me some Harbaugh.

Now go grab a rule book

Fail.

When Jim Harbaugh threw the red challenge flag to appeal a non-reviewable play in the first quarter Sunday, TV cameras caught Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz appearing to yell, "Know the rules, Harbaugh!"

As it turns out, Harbaugh did know the rules. And that's why he threw the flag, Harbaugh said Monday, a day after the 49ers' 25-19 victory over the Lions.

Detroit tight end Brandon Pettigrew caught a 16-yard touchdown pass from Matthew Stafford. But one official called it incomplete after he saw Patrick Willis dislodge the ball from Pettigrew's grasp while both players were on the end-zone turf.

This season, all scoring plays are reviewed in the booth. So coaches are prohibited from throwing the challenge flag on any play resulting in points.

Harbaugh, who said he did not hear Schwartz from the other sideline questioning his knowledge of the rulebook, knew the rule. And that's why he threw the flag.

"No, we knew that you can***8217;t challenge a scoring play," Harbaugh said. "But just the way it transpired and we saw the (signal of) incomplete pass by the back judge, and then the referee came over and they huddled and talked. Then, touchdown went up.

"That just seemed very quick that (the Lions) were lining up to kick an extra point and (I) didn***8217;t know if they really had the review to know where that stood. I threw the challenge flag to give them more time to look at it. But, yeah, we knew we couldn***8217;t do it.***8221;

When asked if taking a timeout would've been the proper move, Harbaugh answered, "Take a timeout? Kind of wanted to save those.***8221;

By throwing the challenge flag, the 49ers did not lose a timeout or one of their two allowable challenges -- because the challenge never occurred. The 49ers were penalized 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff, which resulted in a touchback from Lions kicker Jason Hanson.

So the 49ers began their next drive at the 20-yard line. On the 49ers' four other kickoffs, they started from the 20, 18, 20 and 17. So, really, the penalty did not cost the 49ers anything.

Harbaugh knew the rule, after all

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TV cameras caught Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz appearing to yell, "Know the rules, Harbaugh!"

Where's that in the protocol handbook?.....what a whiny douchebag.

Schwartz, had a chip for being passed over to be our HC, he challenged Harbaugh at the owners meeting, he yelled at Harbaugh for seemingly not knowing the rules, he laughed at him, he made a snide comment about us deferring the k/o.

Schwartz is a bonafide moron. I would be embarrassed if he were our HC.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This new every scoring play is under review is rubbish. HOW on earth that wasn't going to be reviewed? It wasn't as if it was crystal clear, whether it was going to overturn or not, if the officials aren't going to review, why should we be victimized for it?

Like the cincy game, Crabtree stepping out? Fuck off!

That rule needs to be thrown out or actually be used.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This new every scoring play is under review is rubbish. HOW on earth that wasn't going to be reviewed? It wasn't as if it was crystal clear, whether it was going to overturn or not, if the officials aren't going to review, why should we be victimized for it?

Like the cincy game, Crabtree stepping out? Fuck off!

That rule needs to be thrown out or actually be used.

Harbaugh was concerned Detroit would run a play before the review was finished?

i'm ok if its only reviewed upstairs, but if they choose to do so, provide enough time to finish it. call the Ref so he holds up the PAT.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this rule is not implemented well at all and i think that causes them to rush the review if anything. the pressure is on the refs to get it right and do it quick so it doesn't hold up the game. when a coach challenges a play nobody faults the refs for holding up the game. i think they should just allow coaches to still throw a challenge on scoring plays if they want a full review with the head ref going to the sideline to see the play and everything. this play was a perfect example of a controversial call that didn't get the proper attention. had the play been at the 1 yard line it would've received a proper review. such garbage

and while i'm on it...i think everything should be reviewed. that includes penalties and missed penalties. if a guy makes a 50 yard catch and you feel like the left guard held on the play allowing the quarterback more time then it should be reviewed. it's just as important as whether the guy made the catch or not. it'd still have to be beyond any doubt the right call to overturn a play. coaches would still have the same max amount of challenges so they'd have to use them wisely. it's just so arbitrary what is reviewable and what isn't.