• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's Been The Most Surprising 49er So Far?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Harbaugh, his staff, and the FO. I didn't think they'd turn it around this quickly, I thought end of the season maybe.
  2. Alex Smith, his numbers don't drop your jaw like Brady, Rodgers or Brees.. but he's helping the 49ers win finally, instead of helping them lose.
  3. Ray McDonald, I wasn't sure why Baalke paid him so much at first, but now I see.
  4. Soap and RJF, just wow, there isn't a drop off at all from Franklin and they might be even better
  5. Aldon Smith: The kid can get after the QB like nobody's business

I'm not going to say Bowman, because he showed his stuff Week 17 against the Cardinals. Something like 17 tackles in place of the injured Willis. I can honestly say I didn't expect him to be as good as he is, but I did feel he was going to be a good player this year.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say,

1) Akers--I don't recall his leg being so strong in Philly.
2) Aldon--Didn't expect him to contribute so early.
3) A. Smith--Harbs is getting a lot out of him.
4) Rogers--Didn't expect him to have so many picks with all the reports of stone hands.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tarrell Brown. The dude is starting.

Agreed on Brown. He's finally playing consistently well. I'd also give a shout-out to Brooks. I was pretty worried about him in a full-time role - and he does have to work on the offsides and neutral zone infractions - but he's been very solid. Generates nice pressure in the pass rush, and has played the run very well, too. Largely because of his play, we haven't missed Manny at all.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as an actual ranking, I'd probably go:

1) Culliver - didn't expect much of anything this season, but he's looked pretty good two weeks in a row.
2) Aldon Smith - I figured 5.5 sacks would be good for a season, not three games.
3) Alex Smith - nothing mind-blowing, but he's stepped up in the clutch a few times, has led several late-game rallies, gave us an early lead in a blowout, and has really taken care of the ball (hopefully this week wasn't a sign of things to come, though I don't really fault him for the blind-side strip-sack).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as an actual ranking, I'd probably go:

1) Culliver - didn't expect much of anything this season, but he's looked pretty good two weeks in a row.
2) Aldon Smith - I figured 5.5 sacks would be good for a season, not three games.
3) Alex Smith - nothing mind-blowing, but he's stepped up in the clutch a few times, has led several late-game rallies, gave us an early lead in a blowout, and has really taken care of the ball (hopefully this week wasn't a sign of things to come, though I don't really fault him for the blind-side strip-sack).

I don't want to jinx it, but I think it will be if they keep targeting Crabtree 15 times a game without having the practice time together to be on the same page. The high passes in the Lions game, that unfamiliarity on what should have been a TD pass in the Bucs game... we see all the signs that those two have no chemistry and a lot of that has to do with Crabtree missing training camp every year.

My hope is that they figure each other out like they did after the bye week of Crabtree's rookie year. That was actually a really nice connection that year, but last year and this year it's scary to watch because Smith to Crabtree leads to Interceptions, not Touchdowns.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree: We talkin bout practice here

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want to jinx it, but I think it will be if they keep targeting Crabtree 15 times a game without having the practice time together to be on the same page. The high passes in the Lions game, that unfamiliarity on what should have been a TD pass in the Bucs game... we see all the signs that those two have no chemistry and a lot of that has to do with Crabtree missing training camp every year.

My hope is that they figure each other out like they did after the bye week of Crabtree's rookie year. That was actually a really nice connection that year, but last year and this year it's scary to watch because Smith to Crabtree leads to Interceptions, not Touchdowns.

Nicely stated, Three.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when braylon gets back it wont matter so much, he does not seem to have those communication problems

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it's got to be Bowman and McDonald. I've always thought McDonald was a decent player, but he's just so much of a factor this year. He's been getting a great push on the line and has batted a lot of balls down at the line of scrimmage. Ray's been playing great all year and if he keeps it up, I like our chances of our D-Line against any O-Line in the league.

Bowman to me has been the biggest surprise on the team. I was a little worried when Spikes left this year, but Bowman has emerged as a force in the middle next to Willis. He's been great out in space and also clogging up the middle versus the Run. Really opened my eyes this year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'm ok with this overall, just allow me a small comment on the O-line.......

yes, they do deserve credit for picking it up last two games, great with the running game. but did expect they'd run better from game 1, would've thought they'd be about an average rushing team from the get go?

anyways, thats history.

T. Brown and C. Rogers, those guys are playing solid football right now. I never would have imagined it. I always knew Delani had it in him, but it's suprising that he was the "main target" during our most crucial 4th down play of the year. I'm suprised Braylon Edwards is not beasting it (legitimate excuse though being injured); and suprised at fans still sleeping on Michael Crabtree.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whitner in a good way! From what I've seen playing the run physical and flying all over the field. The DBs are playing a lot better from last season!

I hadn't really noticed him much. I heard some people complaining about him and wondered if he was playing well or poorly. I think they'd better hang on to him because Goldson is just too stupid to be a starting Safety in the NFL.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hadn't really noticed him much. I heard some people complaining about him and wondered if he was playing well or poorly. I think they'd better hang on to him because Goldson is just too stupid to be a starting Safety in the NFL.

Wasn't he auditioning for the MLS this past Sunday? ;)

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I've been surprised the most by the play of Carlos Rodgers. I would say Aldon Smith, but i kind of expected him to be pretty good (not as good as he has been though). The secondary in general has been impressive. Ray Macdonald has also surpassed my expectations.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
when braylon gets back it wont matter so much, he does not seem to have those communication problems

Alex Smith throws best to Vernon Davis, whether its chemistry, the type of route, or combination of both, this is our best combo. we should add a few more 11 to 85 per game.

they didn't throw to 85 much in the Lions game?