• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who'd you like to be new Tigers manager?

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people will hate this idea, but I'd love to see Detroit try to swing a deal and get Joe Maddon from Tampa Bay to be the skipper.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people will hate this idea, but I'd love to see Detroit try to swing a deal and get Joe Maddon from Tampa Bay to be the skipper.

Obviously, that will never happen, but Dave Martinez should be high on their interview list. Maddon's bench coach would be my #1 choice....

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madden's style would not work with the talent Detroit has.

Don't get me wrong I like Madden but the Rays are built much differently than Detroit.

I keep hearing Gibson gets a call but the Diamondbacks don't release him from his contract. I have no ambition to see Lamont of McClendon get the job.

Larry Parish, Brad Ausmus, Tory Lovullo, Rick Honeycutt, and possibly Mike scosia if the Angels decide to part ways with him.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers aren't getting Joe Maddon

I think Charlie Manuel would be a nice fit in Detroit - I know he's up in age like Jim Leyland but he knows hitting and I'd love to see what Charlie can do with guys like Miggy, Prince and Torii - plus Charlie would have a strong rotation at his disposal, which he had in Philadelphia too

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOT Ozzie Guilen would be my # 1 choice.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOT Ozzie Guilen would be my # 1 choice.

I see the guy I thought would be the peoples choice is getting some buzz about this now.

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Kirk Gibson is a candidate for the Tigers' managerial opening.

Gibson grew up in Michigan and has worked as both a broadcaster and bench coach for the Tigers, but he is still under contract with the Diamondbacks and that's a team that expects to compete in 2014. Knobler says former major league catcher Brad Ausmus is also a candidate in Detroit. It's undoubtedly one of the premier jobs in the sport.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be a tough pick for Tiger fans. Ownership has to pick just the right man to take the blame for future Tiger failures. The person selected must understand that he will be second guessed for the first move he makes AND will be blamed for having a slow, defensively deficient team. He, whomever he is, will have to realize that he will come under fire for not talking correctly at press conferences, for being loyal to his players and coaches, and most of all, know he will be responsible for every loss!. The new Tiger skipper needs to grasp that he will be paid less than most of his players and that the failures of those players are HIS failures, even though he won't throw a pitch or take a swing. When a fat, slow moving, millionaire does not do well....HE, the manager, is at fault. When journeymen relief pitchers don't perform like Mariano Rivera...he will be second guessed by all Tiger armchair-managers. He just needs to assume that every idea, thought, and move he has as a manager is going to be considered wrong by some bozo who thinks managing a winning fantasy baseball team, makes him a better manager than any MLB manager.

Good luck to the loser who gets this job!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll back Brad Ausmus for now. Since I don't think Gibby would come back after Tram got the shaft for Leyland 8 years ago. That was a raw deal, IMO.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll back Brad Ausmus for now. Since I don't think Gibby would come back after Tram got the shaft for Leyland 8 years ago. That was a raw deal, IMO.

GREAT IDEA. #1, he is a former catcher, and, they seem to still be the in vouge position to become manager from. And, # 2, he is an Ivy League guy from Dartmouth. Meaning, he is a very bright guy outside of baseball.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scioscia, larussa, gibby, ausmus, ozzie....that order

No to geno, lloyd, manuel....

Madden would never happen.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in favor of picking the guy who will be the quickest at getting a "We should have kept Leyland!" out of a Tiger fan. LOL

:)

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,893.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see Joe Madden going anywhere anytime soon. Why dont you guys give Don Mattingley a call if he leaves the dodgers

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GREAT IDEA. #1, he is a former catcher, and, they seem to still be the in vouge position to become manager from. And, # 2, he is an Ivy League guy from Dartmouth. Meaning, he is a very bright guy outside of baseball.

Twice a Tiger also. Big fan of Brad when he was a player. Seemed like a great teammate, back in the dark days of Randy Smith. Very bright guy and was a great interview. Supposedly prior managerial experience will come into play in DD and MR. I's decision. And Ausmus, while limited, does have some. (Team Israel)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they wanted Lou Brown, they might as well have kept Leyland. Pretty much the same guy, no?

Im gonna have to call you back. Got a guy on the other line calling about a set of whitewalls.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twice a Tiger also. Big fan of Brad when he was a player. Seemed like a great teammate, back in the dark days of Randy Smith. Very bright guy and was a great interview. Supposedly prior managerial experience will come into play in DD and MR. I's decision. And Ausmus, while limited, does have some. (Team Israel)

We shall see then, as, if they are looking for experience, then Ausmus is pretty much out.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mattingly appears to still be having trouble in LA. I think his 'staying or going' for the Dodgers, will be settled in a few days.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave D stated that prior managerial experience would be nice but is not a deal breaker.