• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Who would as the better defender?

Who was the better defender?

• Bron

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Kobe

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Equal

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • NBA tater salad

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just no argument to be had since one of them has the 2nd most all time all defensive 1st teams. That doesn’t even let the argument get started in my opinion.
I would respect the argument slightly more if it came from someone who actually watched lebron for more than half of his career. This was always a pointless debate

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would respect the argument slightly more if it came from someone who actually watched lebron for more than half of his career. This was always a pointless debate
I don’t think we have to worry about Lebron not getting enough credit. I mean it’s not the “who was built to be a better defender” award. If it were we can throw Russ in the conversation just because too.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's close, really close.

Lebron could defend 1-4 and could be used on a 5 in an emergency.

Kobe could also defend 1-4, but I wouldn't want him on a 5, even in an emergency and I'd only want him in an emergency against the more elite 4's like Timmy or Mailman.

I give a slight edge to Kobe because, as has been pointed out, he always played hard on defense.

Kobe didn't want to just drop 30 on you. He wanted to shut down your offense too.

Lebron didn't/doesn't have that.

• Bullseye
Reactions: DJ

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bron. Not even that close.

Kobe is one of the most overrated players of all time (not saying he wasnt a great player....just not a top 5 player of all time and most people have him there). But his defense was especially overrated. People knew that even when he was playing.

Kobe has more defense team awards than Lebron because he played guard and was measured against guards. Put him as a forward in that era and he never even gets mentioned.

Go look at advanced defensive metrics. The myth of Kobe doesn’t hold up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bron. Not even that close.

Kobe is one of the most overrated players of all time (not saying he wasnt a great player....just not a top 5 player of all time and most people have him there). But his defense was especially overrated. People knew that even when he was playing.

Kobe has more defense team awards than Lebron because he played guard and was measured against guards. Put him as a forward in that era and he never even gets mentioned.

Go look at advanced defensive metrics. The myth of Kobe doesn’t hold up.

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron at his best was better. He could defend all 5 positions.
His peak was much higher than Kobe's defensive peak.

You could argue Lebron's late Cleveland years and Miami years he should have won a few DPOY awards.
For about a 6 year period, Lebron was one of the all time best defenders alive. People want to forget that part of his career.

Lebron wasn't always able to focus on defense as much. He had to be the leading scorer, leading passer, leading rebounder usually as well.
He eventually stopped trying to kill himself on defense as much when he turned 30.

Kobe played strong defense a little longer. He had a longer period of defensive ability, but at a lower overall peak.
Kobe did not have the obvious peak and valley of Lebron.

1) If I wanted their peak Defensive ability for one playoff series/game - I would take Lebron

2) If I wanted a longer career spanning defensive resume over long periods - I would take Kobe

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron at his best was better. He could defend all 5 positions.
His peak was much higher than Kobe's defensive peak.

You could argue Lebron's late Cleveland years and Miami years he should have won a few DPOY awards.
For about a 6 year period, Lebron was one of the all time best defenders alive. People want to forget that part of his career.

Lebron wasn't always able to focus on defense as much. He had to be the leading scorer, leading passer, leading rebounder usually as well.
He eventually stopped trying to kill himself on defense as much when he turned 30.

Kobe played strong defense a little longer. He had a longer period of defensive ability, but at a lower overall peak.
Kobe did not have the obvious peak and valley of Lebron.

1) If I wanted their peak Defensive ability for one playoff series/game - I would take Lebron

2) If I wanted a longer career spanning defensive resume over long periods - I would take Kobe

Look at that. Finally a concise and detailed answer for your opinion

You could teach that to a certain someone

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we include rebounding as a defensive asset? In the Rodman/Ben Wallace sense?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we include rebounding as a defensive asset? In the Rodman/Ben Wallace sense?

You can, but again the difference in position creates a differential before we even look at the players specifically. Defending perimeter players at SG isn't going to typically lead to as many defensive rebounds as defending forwards.