• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who wooda thunk

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
The defensive performance was equally confounding. The Blackshirts, shoved around a week ago in a loss at Minnesota, allowed three touchdowns on Northwestern’s first four possessions. The Wildcats led 21-7.

Then, as if to throw their arms skyward in despair, Pelini and defensive coordinator John Papuchis asked the defenders what they wanted to do differently. The players voted to scrap the game plan, which called for a three-man front.

The Huskers went back to their traditional look with four linemen. They stopped Northwestern on 11 consecutive possessions before the fourth-quarter field goal, which ought to count as another stop. It came after the Wildcats reached the 1-yard line on the first down after Scott’s interception return.

Miracle finish offers reprieve for Nebraska Cornhuskers - ESPN

Was a great defensive effort after plan scrap it came about.

aqwk68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a good reason to find a new D coordinator. When the players know how to stop an offense better than the coach, well...

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a good reason to find a new D coordinator. When the players know how to stop an offense better than the coach, well...

That was not just our DC. It said Pelini also.

Our coaches are asking the players what to do. We are paying these guys to do this?

HOLY SHIT!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This program is in disarray and lacks organization. At a program like Nebraska, (by year 6) a head coach should have the pieces put together. It's mismanaged.

Week in and week out, come Saturday it's as if Pelini went out and picked his players off a free agent list the previous Monday. It's stuff you forgive in year one or 2.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article last night and I was shocked. At least the coaches were smart enough to ask the players.

But, it is a rather telling article.

FIRE JOHN PAPUCHIS

and if the whole thing is designed by Pelini,

FIRE BO PELINI

But I have to think Bo let's Papuchis do the defensive game plan.

I remember watching the game in the second half, after Nebraska did three blitzes in a row and totally befuddled Northwestern, it actually looked like Papuchis was chewing out the players. I distinctly remember this because one of the defender's had the look on his face of, "Why we gettin' chewed out? We just stuffed Northwestern." Then the player went into blank stare mode.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was not just our DC. It said Pelini also.

Our coaches are asking the players what to do. We are paying these guys to do this?

HOLY SHIT!!!

First, this in no way should be construed as my support for the current regime in Lincoln.

I think this is an incorrect statement. I think they asked the players what they WANTED to do. as in, what are they most comfortable doing. A world of difference there.

Poochie still sucks.

Fumble_Rooskie

Big Red Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, this in no way should be construed as my support for the current regime in Lincoln.

I think this is an incorrect statement. I think they asked the players what they WANTED to do. as in, what are they most comfortable doing. A world of difference there.

Poochie still sucks.

Yeah Tom you're right but why should it even get to that point? The coaches can't figure it out in the first place which is pretty telling.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, Papuchis has shown us enough that he is in way over his head.

One time he said he could not evaluate kids during the week during practice.

Now, we know he asked the players what they wanted to do.

Papuchis has completely lost the confidence of the players.

FIRE JOHN PAPUCHIS

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Tom you're right but why should it even get to that point? The coaches can't figure it out in the first place which is pretty telling.

Because the coaches suck. Someone, at some point, told them that they are defensive guru's. They are probably just learning that Santa ain't real, the easter bunny is imaginary and they are not defensive guru's.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the coaches suck. Someone, at some point, told them that they are defensive guru's. They are probably just learning that Santa ain't real, the easter bunny is imaginary and they are not defensive guru's.

Lloyd-Christmas-Cry-and-Gag-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Poochie still sucks.

You're sitting down in a team meeting and scheming so you ask the players what they think, that is fine and dandy.

You are on the field, game day with your game plan all drawn up. You are getting your ass handed to you in the same manner you have for the previous two seasons (unable to stop the run) so you "ask the players what they WANTED to do"

This is NOT asking them what they feel most comfortable doing. That is done in advance when planning and then you go out and practice it. This is an act of desperation. Whether they are asking the players what they should do or what they want to do, the fact that it is game day and getting their ass kicked makes it a desperate action taking by personnel that have failed, don't know what else to do yet desperately want to do something that works.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol coaches asking players haha

lost in the hail Mary is how a walk on saved Bo Job for a week
now we will all talk about the hail mary. till Michigan slaps us lol.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I doubt the players and defensive position coaches respect Puke-us, who clearly got promoted over his level of competence.

Add Bo to that also

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're sitting down in a team meeting and scheming so you ask the players what they think, that is fine and dandy.

You are on the field, game day with your game plan all drawn up. You are getting your ass handed to you in the same manner you have for the previous two seasons (unable to stop the run) so you "ask the players what they WANTED to do"

This is NOT asking them what they feel most comfortable doing. That is done in advance when planning and then you go out and practice it. This is an act of desperation. Whether they are asking the players what they should do or what they want to do, the fact that it is game day and getting their ass kicked makes it a desperate action taking by personnel that have failed, don't know what else to do yet desperately want to do something that works.

I don't dispute any of this. I am merely stating that the coaches didn't ask "What should we do?" But rather "What do you want to do?" Two distinctly different questions.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd see the day Nebraska had fallen this far. The faster you get rid of these bums the faster your team turns it around.

Just look at FSU now. Just saying.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The-Dude.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dispute any of this. I am merely stating that the coaches didn't ask "What should we do?" But rather "What do you want to do?" Two distinctly different questions.

:L
If that is what you take away from what I wrote more power to you but what I was saying had nothing to do with whether they said one specifically or the other.

The point stands. But if you want to get stuck on semantics so be it.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L
If that is what you take away from what I wrote more power to you but what I was saying had nothing to do with whether they said one specifically or the other.

The point stands. But if you want to get stuck on semantics so be it.

Whatever. I am not entering into an argument over it because it will look like I am defending the coaches here.

I see your :L and raise you :L:L