• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who won the trade?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, of course we can. That's why we're disagreeing with the order YOU put them in. You did number them, did you not?

Yeah but it changes year to year. AD didn't play half the freaking season bc he didn't like the team he was on.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 starters and a rotational SG? Nah, the picks will be what makes or breaks the value of this trade overall IMO. You have to give up prospects like Ball and BI to get a player of AD's caliber via trade.
I don't agree.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pels had no leverage. If Ainge truly said no Tatum what they getting from the Knicks that's any better?

Who else is giving up a top 5 pick and two former top five picks for a rental?

I can't even remember if Kuzma was part of the initial deal if he was they probably accepted a worse offer
Ainge screwed it up.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it funny how before the trade deadline a package of Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, Zubac, Rondo and two 1st rounders wasn't enough to trade for AD?

Ingram and Ball were always injured and busts, Kuzma had already hit his ceiling and Hart was a joke.

Now all of a sudden the Lakers overpaid?

GTFOH
I wonder if the narrative is different if Demps, as opposed to Griffin, made the deal.

Seems everyone loves them some Griffin. Allegedly, Lebron loved him so much his departure is why he left. He cared so much about Griff he didn't insist LA hire him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the narrative is different if Demps, as opposed to Griffin, made the deal.

Seems everyone loves them some Griffin. Allegedly, Lebron loved him so much his departure is why he left. He cared so much about Griff he didn't insist LA hire him.

If Demps were still the GM, the deal may not have been done. I think that he, far more than Gayle Benson, was the one who refused to deal with the Lakers back in February.

But assuming he stayed and made this deal as opposed to the one in February...that may have changed the narrative a bit and made Demps look worse because he got less than the original offer.

Griffin gets credit because he actually got the Lakers to give a little more than they absolutely had to when considering how the market had dried up on him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @Windhorst.

Wasn't he saying that the Lakers weren't getting AD?

They kept Kuzma, didn't have to take on the Solomon Hill contract and 2 of the 3 picks they gave up are for guys who are in middle school right now.

Getting AD sets the Lakers to up to not only win now, but possibly for the next 6-8 years since AD is only 26.

Both teams won the trade because both got what they were looking for.

Yep...this was in May. ESPN Brian Windhorst Says There Will Be A "Cold War" Between Lakers & Pelicans, Pels Won't Do Business With The Lakers...

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little late to the party, but I think both teams got what they wanted.
Surprised that NO was able to get as much as they asked for, but LA got the best player in the deal.

Now I just hope it spectacularly fails for LA.....

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Demps were still the GM, the deal may not have been done. I think that he, far more than Gayle Benson, was the one who refused to deal with the Lakers back in February.

But assuming he stayed and made this deal as opposed to the one in February...that may have changed the narrative a bit and made Demps look worse because he got less than the original offer.

Griffin gets credit because he actually got the Lakers to give a little more than they absolutely had to when considering how the market had dried up on him.
When Demps was negotiating, doubt he was thinking the pick would be the #4. Maybe he pulls the trigger?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to that on LeBron falling into their lap although I am not 100% sure that if Jim Buss was still in charge - if he would have went, but... getting Anthony Davis for the draft picks, Ball, Hart and Lonzo took some dealing - that proved that Jeanie has something
Probably helps that AD said he wouldn't sign long term with anyone but LA and NY.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Demps was negotiating, doubt he was thinking the pick would be the #4. Maybe he pulls the trigger?

I think that's crucial.
Before the lottery, you were looking at #7 and #11, and now it's #1 and #4.
That's huge.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little late to the party, but I think both teams got what they wanted.
Surprised that NO was able to get as much as they asked for, but LA got the best player in the deal.

Now I just hope it spectacularly fails for LA.....

Why? What do you have against the Lakers?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true. Good point.

In fact, prior to the actual lottery, the Lakers pick was projected to be the 11th.

Also, considering that getting AD may very well have resulted in the Lakers making the playoffs, or at least, ending up with more than 37 wins. They may have ended up with a worse pick than 11.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with the Pelicans. Everyone knew they had to trade AD and he's been vocal about going free agent afterwards so they didn't have much leverage. To get the #4 overall pick, former lottery picks and a couple of #1's going forward is a nice haul all things considered.

Definitely a nice haul, if it was the NFL they should be singing in the streets down there in NO. But, in the NBA, it's not quite as good because there's a pretty good chance that none of those picks (possibly even combined) turn out to be as good as Davis.

They got some players to put around Zion, but they won't have enough success on the floor...Zion will be a good player, but has to refine his game imo to become that generational talent that people are saying he is. That will take a couple of seasons (continue losing more than they win) and as soon as Zion is eligible for FA...history will be repeating itself.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got some players to put around Zion, but they won't have enough success on the floor...Zion will be a good player, but has to refine his game imo to become that generational talent that people are saying he is. That will take a couple of seasons (continue losing more than they win) and as soon as Zion is eligible for FA...history will be repeating itself.

Zion to Lakers in 2023. :yes:

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pels had no leverage. If Ainge truly said no Tatum what they getting from the Knicks that's any better?

Who else is giving up a top 5 pick and two former top five picks for a rental?
I can't even remember if Kuzma was part of the initial deal if he was they probably accepted a worse offer

It wasn't the Celtics... It was the NETs that came up with a king's offer that the Lakers had to beat...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't the Celtics... It was the NETs that came up with a king's offer that the Lakers had to beat...

You're going to need to provide a link because all of the reports were that it was between the Lakers and Celtics. Your track record here isn't the strongest. lol

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to need to provide a link because all of the reports were that it was between the Lakers and Celtics. Your track record here isn't the strongest. lol
WOJ posted that "the NETs filled an offer for AD" past week... can't provide a link for technical reasons, but you can easily google it...