• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who won the trade?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Bell, Quinn Cook, and McCaw were all either draft picks or traded for as draft picks.

Cousins was a unique situations.

How was Livingston an MLE when after KD when he was already on the team?

The Lakers literally emptied the cupboard and gave up their draft pick. They can't trade next year's 1st rounder or any other 1st in the foreseeable future. So that means they need to strike gold with their 2nd rounders. They don't even have a 2nd this year.

They are going to have about 30 million in cap space to spend on players plus the room MLE which is 4.5 million.

The assumption that they can just fill the roster with competent vets at the league minimum is optimistic to say the least.
you dont get the MLE if you started the offseason under the cap from what i understand. NEXT year they would get the MLE though.

oh my bad...

you meant the Warriors

I think...

if the Warriors re-sign Durant do you realize how expensive it will be to use the MLE?

that 4.5M MLE will cost about 30M dollars.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the short term, the lakers obviously won. however, if, in a few years, the lakers suck again after lebron retires, the pels may end up with some lottery draft picks in '22, '23', and '24
and thats the thing.....

Davis is good, but he has had some decent guys around him- I mean Jrue Holiday is good, and they have failed to make the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.

Is Anthony Davis a top 10 player?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont get the MLE if you started the offseason under the cap from what i understand. NEXT year they would get the MLE though.

oh my bad...

you meant the Warriors

I think...

if the Warriors re-sign Durant do you realize how expensive it will be to use the MLE?

that 4.5M MLE will cost about 30M dollars.

There are 3 kinds of MLEs. Tax payer, non-tay payer(over the cap), and room MLE.

Room MLE is the lowest MLE at around 4.5 million.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Bell, Quinn Cook, and McCaw were all either draft picks or traded for as draft picks.

Cousins was a unique situations.

How was Livingston an MLE when after KD when he was already on the team?

The Lakers literally emptied the cupboard and gave up their draft pick. They can't trade next year's 1st rounder or any other 1st in the foreseeable future. So that means they need to strike gold with their 2nd rounders. They don't even have a 2nd this year.

They are going to have about 30 million in cap space to spend on players plus the room MLE which is 4.5 million.

The assumption that they can just fill the roster with competent vets at the league minimum is optimistic to say the least.

They are going to have to do it a different way, the same way Miami did it. Not build depth with a couple nice signings and draft picks but they will have to first build a nice core with that $30M or so and then get your MLE guy and build the rest of the bench with minimum/veteran guys. It is definitely possible, you could say the last couple years the Warriors did a poor job but they got away with it. The thing is once the cap jumps up another $9M so depending on what they do this year, they could sign a max guy next year and basically have two stars for when after Lebron leaves locked up for the next 5 years.

It will definitely be interesting how they build around this core. They can get 3-4 really nice pieces with that 30M. Then the MLE, then all minimum guys. THey just have to go about it better than they did last year, they need shooting. Shooting is the key. Getting a guy like Redick would be huge, maybe they can get him for the MLE. He probably wants a ring at this point.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers would have been better off keeping their draft picks and getting young talent instead of putting all their eggs in one basket. It remains to be seen if they perform better with AD.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what Windhorst said about the trade...

Anthony Davis Trade: ESPN’s Brian Windhorst calls trade ‘potentially scandalous’ and ‘Nets-Celtics trade part 2’

“What they gave up for him is potentially scandalous,” he told ESPN 710 in Los Angeles. “It is an unbelievable haul that they gave. And not all the details are out there yet, but when they get out there, you’re going to see why. It is the Nets-Celtics trade part 2. It’s going to affect them long after LeBron is out of his prime and maybe no longer on the team.”
“What they gave was one of the most lopsided trades, in terms of draft compensation, in NBA history,” Windhorst said bluntly, adding that the Lakers seem to have given up control of their draft for the next five to seven years.

The Nets-Celtics trade is widely considered among the most lopsided in NBA history. What made it so lopsided was how many draft picks Boston controlled and for how long. Boston received three first rounders and a pick swap for a fourth. Boston ended up with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum with two of those picks, and they traded a third for Kyrie Irving. It seems that this trade may someday challenge that haul.

Considering the Lakers are already going to struggle to fill out their roster after the trade, this news brings up questions of whether Los Angeles gave up too much. The Pelicans, by going long with their pick haul from Los Angeles, are betting the Lakers front office will struggle to fill in those gaps.

If the Lakers are not able to build a strong team around Davis and LeBron James, who turns 35-years-old in December, the Pelicans might just have a pipeline to add strong young talent around Zion Williamson and the rest of the young players they added in this trade.

ESPN’s Brian Windhorst: Anthony Davis trade ‘potentially scandalous’ and ‘Nets-Celtics trade part 2’

Griffin is a very good GM, The pelicans turned a player that was leading them nowhere into a ton of assets. A lot of times when a player wants to leave you get close to nothing...

lol @Windhorst.

Wasn't he saying that the Lakers weren't getting AD?

They kept Kuzma, didn't have to take on the Solomon Hill contract and 2 of the 3 picks they gave up are for guys who are in middle school right now.

Getting AD sets the Lakers to up to not only win now, but possibly for the next 6-8 years since AD is only 26.

Both teams won the trade because both got what they were looking for.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @Windhorst.

Wasn't he saying that the Lakers weren't getting AD?

They kept Kuzma, didn't have to take on the Solomon Hill contract and 2 of the 3 picks they gave up are for guys who are in middle school right now.

Getting AD sets the Lakers to up to not only win now, but possibly for the next 6-8 years since AD is only 26.

Both teams won the trade because both got what they were looking for.

Windbag...

PLEASE don't make me laugh...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on how the Lakers final roster looks.
I personally would look to add 2 players vs 1 more max.
I heard on radio Lakers could get both Reddick and Beverly.
That would really round out the roster IMO.

Agree. I've been saying they may almost be better off doing something like that. They'd have more quality depth.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I've been saying they may almost be better off doing something like that. They'd have more quality depth.

Well if they can get nice contracts out of Beverly and Redick at about $6/year or $8/year they use up about half of that cap and then can sign 1 AS type of player or 1 or 2 role players under the cap. Then it is just a MLE guy and minimum guys

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if they can get nice contracts out of Beverly and Redick at about $6/year or $8/year they use up about half of that cap and then can sign 1 AS type of player or 1 or 2 role players under the cap. Then it is just a MLE guy and minimum guys

sounds about right...

pitch them both on the idea of a good playoff run i'd guess...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to have to do it a different way, the same way Miami did it. Not build depth with a couple nice signings and draft picks but they will have to first build a nice core with that $30M or so and then get your MLE guy and build the rest of the bench with minimum/veteran guys. It is definitely possible, you could say the last couple years the Warriors did a poor job but they got away with it. The thing is once the cap jumps up another $9M so depending on what they do this year, they could sign a max guy next year and basically have two stars for when after Lebron leaves locked up for the next 5 years.

The Warriors had 4 of top 20 players and 2 top 8 players.

It will definitely be interesting how they build around this core. They can get 3-4 really nice pieces with that 30M. Then the MLE, then all minimum guys. THey just have to go about it better than they did last year, they need shooting. Shooting is the key. Getting a guy like Redick would be huge, maybe they can get him for the MLE. He probably wants a ring at this point.

I agree regarding the shooting. IMO, Kemba is probably a really good fit for the Lakers. Kyrie as well. Not sure any of the other top tier players really fit well. Of course they would love to get Kawhi but I don't see him even thinking of playing for the Lakers. Butler isn't really a great fit since he's more of a swing than a guard.

I don't see Reddick taking 4.5 million on the MLE.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Anthony Davis a top 10 player?

Absolutely, positively. He's a top 5 player.

Anthony Davis will pair up with Lebron for the next 3 years (who hasn't shown any real decline yet). The Lakers will add pieces around them (and Kuzma) as they can. Once Lebron leaves, AD becomes the draw to sign someone to take that cap space. The difference in ages between Lebron and AD can actually work to the Lakers advantage as such.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1a. Kawhi (for now)
1b. Lebron
1c. KD
4. Giannis
5. Steph
6. AD

I mean you could put that order any way you want but AD is a top 5-6 player imo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much depends on the trade finalize date. If July 30th, the Lakers can add a near full MAX player and use the full MLE.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1a. Kawhi (for now)
1b. Lebron
1c. KD
4. Giannis
5. Steph
6. AD

I mean you could put that order any way you want but AD is a top 5-6 player imo.

Giannis is NOT better than AD IMO. AD is what Giannis hopes to become.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giannis is NOT better than AD IMO. AD is what Giannis hopes to become.
Steph isn’t better than AD IMO

Hey Laker fans, learn to read :laugh3:

"I mean you could put that order any way you want"

The top 3 are cemented right now though. (KD is injured but still) You could put AD at 4, that is how great he is.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Laker fans, learn to read :laugh3:

"I mean you could put that order any way you want"

The top 3 are cemented right now though. (KD is injured but still) You could put AD at 4, that is how great he is.

You’re right, I didn’t read that part. My bad