• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will win the NFC West this year?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Seahawk just knock that pass down, they are up by 6 with about 20 seconds on the clock. I still think the Seahawks win.
They were moving the ball at will and were within the red zone. It isn't a given that they score, but they had the game right where they wanted it.
That's why I give Seattle the edge at QB.

That game may have been tight, but that play is pretty much par for the course for both Kap and Seattle's D. Last year Seattle had more RZ turnovers than they gave up RZ tds (several of which were courtesy of Kap) so even when they were driving I wasn't all that worried about them punching it in.
The fact is over the last two years the 9'ers have made it to the SB and barely lost to Seattle at home in the conference championship game. Both with dipstick at QB. I'd take Wilson over him all day every day, but it's a team game and they are every bit as dangerous as Seattle is as a whole team. Because of that I stand by my assessment of Seattle == 9'ers in expectation with injuries deciding who is on top at seasons end.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone dismissing the Cardinals should do so at their own peril. Arians is cooking up a nice team that can compete with anyone in that division... even Seattle.

Agreed... The only thing that doesn't scare me though about the Cards is Palmer... He's wildly inconsistent... Plus he's getting up there in age... If they had some young upstart qb they would have my attention more... I do like there defense though....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you this though, no other team in the league wants to open their schedule and find an NFC west team on it. No other division in football is even in the same zipcode in total defense. You play any NFC west team and you expect to get punched right in the face.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both the 49ers and Seahawks won on their home turf against each other last year. Had the 49ers won one more game to take the West, and forced the playoff game at the Stick, imo I believe it would have been a different outcome.

I'm not trying to make excuses or take anything away from the Seahawks though - they clearly earned it. But I think it's a bit extreme to say that the Seahawks are better than the 49ers. The 49ers went toe-to-toe with Seattle last year, and came within one play of taking it. And that was IN Seattle mind you.

I don't think either team has the edge. And with the way these two teams are built, I think they'll be the class of the NFC for a while.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both the 49ers and Seahawks won on their home turf against each other last year. Had the 49ers won one more game to take the West, and forced the playoff game at the Stick, imo I believe it would have been a different outcome.

I'm not trying to make excuses or take anything away from the Seahawks though - they clearly earned it. But I think it's a bit extreme to say that the Seahawks are better than the 49ers. The 49ers went toe-to-toe with Seattle last year, and came within one play of taking it. And that was IN Seattle mind you.

I don't think either team has the edge. And with the way these two teams are built, I think they'll be the class of the NFC for a while.

Any given Sunday with division rivals IMO. Seen too many things happen, for too many years, in the NFCeast to feel differently on the subject. Teams know each other well and as a result it's different than playing teams outside your division. Health, game planning, TOs, momentum, desire, and luck play a greater role in division games.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams should be better but are still unproven at QB, WR, and their secondary. The first two position groups matter a lot to a team's offensive potency-- and especially considering the defenses residing in the NFCW, the Rams are going to need significant improvement from Bradford and their receiving corps to compete for the NFCW title. And for that matter, their safeties were terrible, and corners were inconsistent. When you have a whole position group (whether on offense or defense) that is underperforming, it's going to be a problem that will cost teams wins. So are the Rams improved enough in those three position groups to be consistent enough to compete for the title? Obviously we'll see; but they do seem like they have the biggest hill to climb of the four teams.

I think that the Cardinals are deceptive going into this season. It took the whole offense half of last season just to learn Arians's offense. They're probably going to be a better team offensively this year than a lot of people may be expecting. They have a good, maybe very good, receiving corps-- and a capable if not dangerous rushing attack with the emergence of I-forget-his-name-right-now. There are still question marks with the O-Line, especially with Cooper's rehab going slower than they had hoped. And Palmer has been an inconsistent QB (although I wouldn't be surprised if he puts together as pretty good year this season, because the whole offense himself included know what they're doing in Arians's system now). Defensively, the only question is their linebacker play because they lost Dansby & Washington. Will the run defense suffer a significant drop this season? If so, the Niners & Hawks will make them pay a heavy price for it. But they do seem like legitimate contenders for the NFCW crown this year, with less of a hill to climb than the Rams.

It's hard to tell how much the Niners may lose on defense at least through the first half of the season with Bowman and probably Aldon Smith missing significant playing time. Their secondary has question marks also; so it's a riddle right now. They should be more potent on offense because their receiving corps, though maybe lacking top-end speed, otherwise will be significantly upgraded this year. Kap has every tool that he needs to move that offense with consistency; and he probably needs to show that he can take advantage of all of his weapons rather than looking for particular ones too predictably. I have the Niners as the second-best team in the NFCW going onto this season, but obviously they're good enough to take the thing.

The biggest questions for the Hawks is in the trenches. They absolutely need better O-Line play this year to deal with the 'Front Seven' of every other team in the division. And barring major injuries, they're in position where they should improve upon last year's somewhat sorry overall performance. The D-Line actually should be very good again; but there is a question mark about the LEO position. The bottom line is whether they will be able to put quite as much pressure on opposing QBs. Offensively the Hawks should be significantly more versatile and explosive on offense this year. A healthy Harvin along with the addition of Paul Richardson will stretch the field both vertically and horizontally for the Hawks; and an increased role of Christine Michael will add an explosive element in the backfield on both running and passing downs. Personally I think the Hawks will field an overall better team this year than last, all things considered. And Pete Carroll will have them consistently, intensely prepared and hungry because that's what the guy does. I give them the edge for the NFCW crown going into this year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were moving the ball at will and were within the red zone. It isn't a given that they score, but they had the game right where they wanted it.

The fact is over the last two years the 9'ers have made it to the SB and barely lost to Seattle at home in the conference championship game. Both with dipstick at QB. I'd take Wilson over him all day every day, but it's a team game and they are every bit as dangerous as Seattle is as a whole team. Because of that I stand by my assessment of Seattle == 9'ers in expectation with injuries deciding who is on top at seasons end.

That defense, up 6, on a short field against a guy that we have seen make more than a few plays like these? I'd say it's more likely that Seattle had the niners where they wanted them.
kaep-pick.gif
ibgZLM5dZtCBrM.gif
ibfzXSdr2Fxd4E.gif

SF is the second best team in the league, but Seattle is the best.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get into a protracted discussion over the NFCCG, but when you are on the road you play to have the ball at the end with a chance to win it. The 9'ers did that. If not for a really bad judgement call by Kraep that game could have ended much differently.

Any time you can be that close on the road against a rival you can't be far behind them right? That's the point. These two teams are fairly evenly matched. You just aren't going to get me to change my view that these two are even so can we just agree to let it go?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I understand how close these teams are. I just think Seattle has proven to have the edge. :suds:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My take is it'll come down to Seattle and the 9ers again with the Cardinals and Rams making things very uncomfortable for both teams.

The wildcard to me in how the division will pan out is Kaepernick because in terms of just pure overall talent the 9ers offense is the best in the division and could be one of the more potent offenses in the league. But that's if Kaepernick plays markedly better than he did last season.

The division should be fun to watch and I really wouldn't consider any of the teams in it winning it to be a big surprise.

Rams4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big question for the Rams is our secondary. I really think the receivers will step up this year. Our O line is beefed up and our D line could be called the Fearsome Foursome of the 21st Century.

The big questions will be the Rams running game. They have good depth now with Tre Mason and the returning Zac Stacy. If the O line can open up some holes for these guys, the WRs should make some good strides. Bradford will definitely have more time in the pocket.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you Seattle and SF fans are fascinating LOL

you talk like you are actually overpaid players that need to talk crap to survive and be looked at in fear. A couple great years doesn't mean you are guaranteed 5-10 years of superiority. Havent you noticed the last few years of free agency etc ? you/or your teams rather could well take a nose dive this year. I 'm not saying the Rams will be that much better and that SF/Seattle wont be good but don't be surprised if they cant get more than 9 wins apiece and not dominating anyone in the playoffs if they get there

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams aren't getting 9 wins this year, they just aren't. 6-7 wins is what I predict. Arizona is a team that worries me.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 wins means your watching the play offs from the coach IMO.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you Seattle and SF fans are fascinating LOL

you talk like you are actually overpaid players that need to talk crap to survive and be looked at in fear. A couple great years doesn't mean you are guaranteed 5-10 years of superiority. Havent you noticed the last few years of free agency etc ? you/or your teams rather could well take a nose dive this year. I 'm not saying the Rams will be that much better and that SF/Seattle wont be good but don't be surprised if they cant get more than 9 wins apiece and not dominating anyone in the playoffs if they get there

Were talking about next season... Who's guaranteeing 5-10 years of superiority ?

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Rams, especially their defense which is going to be flat out nasty. I would be concerned with Bradford. He just doesn't have the "it" factor. You can't look at stats for it but when watching him, there's just something missing. I think the Rams can finish #2.

I'd like the Cardinals a bit more if they hadn't lost Darryl Washington. He is a solid LB for a 3-4 defense and am not sure if he can be replaced. Add in Palmer who can't be trusted. The Cardinals do have playmakers on both sides of the ball. I think the Cardinals can finish #2.

Seattle has a great defense and hasn't lost a thing and their players are just entering their prime right now. Another nasty defense. How much more abuse can Lynch take and will their OL gel? I think Russell Wilson is underrated. Fans always talk about Seattle being just a defensive team with Marshawn Lynch and a game manager QB. Russell Wilson is real good when I watched him and having Percy Harvin for a season if he's not hurt, is a weapon that was only utilized in their SB. I think the Seahawks can finish #1.

San Francisco also has a great team. Losing Bowman is a big blow that 49er fans don't realize the negative impact it will have. Justin Smith is almost cooked. He looked terrible in the NFCCG. Tank needs to play to his college potential and SF will be stout at the point of attack. I'm not sold on their secondary at this juncture. A rookie slot guy drafted in rd1, a new SS in Bethea who is just o.k. vs the pass. Eric Reid will be a beast and expect him to take a huge leap in impact. Free Safeties tend to excel starting in year 2.

I think the 49ers defense will regress but I expect their offense to be stellar. Hyde is a downhill animal and adding Steve Johnson is another weapon for Kaepernick. 49er's have the best Receivers in the NFL and a solid Offensive Line. I think the 49ers now have the worst Defense in the division. Yes, it's shocking but shows how improved the Cardinals and Rams defenses will be. Remember, it's not just about last year but projecting growth into the defense. Seahawks have a top 5 all time NFL defense and 49er's aren't in that league. The 49ers have the best Offense in the division. I think the 49er can finish #1 but won't.

Seattle
St. Louis
Arizona
San Francisco
Well thought-out post. I pretty much agree with all of it except for the niners having the best receivers in the NFL

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona and STL are Wild cards within the division. Seattle and San Fran are more known commodities.

-Seattle really just has to worry about injuries.
-San Francisco has Bowman hurt and Justin Smith is getting older. They've been lackluster on their drafting lately but they have so many picks that they only need a few of them to hit and they are just going to reload.

I dont think there are many scenarios where either team is bad. There are a few where they are mediocre or just decent and they mostly involve injuries.

Arizona is interesting because they got massively improved last year on their dline due to coaching scheme and Arians is an offensive guru who has made their offense at least average with the pieces that they have. Their oline might be a bit better this year, too. Losing Washington for the year on defense is going to hurt, though. TEs are going to kill them. Palmer could also regress at any time. They'll be good but its hard to imagine that they'll be great.

STL is a giant pile of question marks. Their oline, their running game, their WRs, their secondary. The only known commodities is that they'll have a great dline and a good/great special teams. Its hard to say if Bradford is better than Shaun Hill so Im not sure that there is a question mark there. Just a lot of meh. STL went from doing well in the NFC West 2 years ago to doing well against everyone else last year. They've yet to really put a season together with any consistency.