• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will be the New OC?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the opposite of a "woke" owner? Just curious
depends on how the offense does.
The problem with that is that if the offense does good next year and the defense plays like they did this year, then this team should do good next year. Which, with all probability, the credit will go to Ron and Eric, meaning Ron keeps his job.

Those of you that believe a new owner will come in and fire the HC and promote from within, I think you will be disappointed. First, my guess is that Ron is safe for the first year or two of new ownership, unless they just tank next year. I dont see a new owner who knows nothing about team ownership, hiring a HC with no experience as a head coach. So Ron [probably gets at least 2 years while the new owner gets his bearings.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is that if the offense does good next year and the defense plays like they did this year, then this team should do good next year. Which, with all probability, the credit will go to Ron and Eric, meaning Ron keeps his job.

Those of you that believe a new owner will come in and fire the HC and promote from within, I think you will be disappointed. First, my guess is that Ron is safe for the first year or two of new ownership, unless they just tank next year. I dont see a new owner who knows nothing about team ownership, hiring a HC with no experience as a head coach. So Ron [probably gets at least 2 years while the new owner gets his bearings.
Again, it's not Rivera the coach who is the main problem, it is Rivera the GM. I can see one year, but I am positive a new owner would want their handpicked GM to build the roster. The results have not been there for 3 years, and I don't see that changing. A new owner will likely see that as well. Why would they allow Rivera full control over the roster for 2 more when he hasn't had a winning season as a coach in over 5 years?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's not Rivera the coach who is the main problem, it is Rivera the GM. I can see one year, but I am positive a new owner would want their handpicked GM to build the roster. The results have not been there for 3 years, and I don't see that changing. A new owner will likely see that as well. Why would they allow Rivera full control over the roster for 2 more when he hasn't had a winning season as a coach in over 5 years?
Besides, what does Rivera do on game day anyway? Fold his arms and look stupid for 60 minutes. JDR is competent. He needs a competent OC and staff and Ron will be fine. He can keep pounding the table for culture change (and viably so) and let his coaches make the grown up decisions and coach while Ron focus' on culture change within.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with the sentiment expressed here. The lone tweak that I would make concerns Rivera the coach. Looking back at his time as an NFL head coach, there are some very serious indicators that lead me to believe that he is a one-trick pony and as such is either looking for lightning to strike again or the embodiment of a coach trying to survive in a game that has passed him by. Here are 3 points to consider...

1. His historical high mark was with Cam Newton at QB, who was never developed as a QB but instead ended his career pretty much as he began it. This history will play a pivotal role in making the connection to the charges mentioned in my opening.

2. If you were a player, coach, or executive with any ties to Rivera's Carolina and looking for work you had additional opportunities in Washington. I get being comfortable with the familiar but in a result-oriented league doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is exactly what's ascribed to it. We all know by now how many former players and executives Rivera bought to Washington and despite it all still didn't have that missing but necessary piece.

3. We will never know what motivated Rivera to trade for Carson Wince. @Dean has offered the singular idea that Wince was seen as an upgrade and Rivera took a chance hoping that Carson under his guidance would rekindle sparks of his former self in Philadelphia. Again it's all speculation and water under a bridge but allow me to offer another pov that's just as likely. It all begins and ends with...

Cam Newton... 6'5" 245 lbs with a strong arm and matches up well with Carson Wince 6'5" 237 lbs with an equally strong arm.

Of course, it's speculative irony at best, but is it really unreasonable to connect his penchant towards turning Washington into Carolina north and not include a desire to get that one, most valuable piece, or at least what amounted to a very close facsimile?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,121.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Commanders OC Scott Turner hired as the passing game coordinator.

Um, thoughts? Not sure I know a lot about him. Is he Norv Turner's son?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with the sentiment expressed here. The lone tweak that I would make concerns Rivera the coach. Looking back at his time as an NFL head coach, there are some very serious indicators that lead me to believe that he is a one-trick pony and as such is either looking for lightning to strike again or the embodiment of a coach trying to survive in a game that has passed him by. Here are 3 points to consider...

1. His historical high mark was with Cam Newton at QB, who was never developed as a QB but instead ended his career pretty much as he began it. This history will play a pivotal role in making the connection to the charges mentioned in my opening.

2. If you were a player, coach, or executive with any ties to Rivera's Carolina and looking for work you had additional opportunities in Washington. I get being comfortable with the familiar but in a result-oriented league doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is exactly what's ascribed to it. We all know by now how many former players and executives Rivera bought to Washington and despite it all still didn't have that missing but necessary piece.

3. We will never know what motivated Rivera to trade for Carson Wince. @Dean has offered the singular idea that Wince was seen as an upgrade and Rivera took a chance hoping that Carson under his guidance would rekindle sparks of his former self in Philadelphia. Again it's all speculation and water under a bridge but allow me to offer another pov that's just as likely. It all begins and ends with...

Cam Newton... 6'5" 245 lbs with a strong arm and matches up well with Carson Wince 6'5" 237 lbs with an equally strong arm.

Of course, it's speculative irony at best, but is it really unreasonable to connect his penchant towards turning Washington into Carolina north and not include a desire to get that one, most valuable piece, or at least what amounted to a very close facsimile?
Good points.

As a coach, Rivera has 3 winning seasons in 12 years. He does seem like a "player's coach" and is respected. That being said, the results are NOT on the field.

His selection of JCR was a good one; however, Turner was an unmitigated disaster. He continues to have the drive to "get the band" back together like you said. The NFL is full of nepotism, but Rivera went beyond that. He butchered the OLine in order to bring in his CAR players. He also no doubt brought in Scott Turner as he was the QB coach in CAR. A good bit of the coaching staff he brought in was from CAR.

Why he would bring in the same coaches who helped get him fired is beyond me. He should have continued down the same path he did with JCR and simply hire the best talent available. He has struggled to see that vision with his coaching staff and GM selections.

Needless to say, he will be gone probably in 2024 and we wouldn't have to speculate what happened and why.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say that Rivera hasn't tried to interview him but he should, in fact, Rivera must not limit his search to the selected few but broaden any search to as many eligible candidates as possible. It is possible that multiple OC candidate interviews could absolutely enlighten Rivera and broaden his understanding with respect to how other more successful offenses have operated instead of what's thus far been tried and not been very successful during his time as an NFL head coach.

Last edited:

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say that Rivera hasn't tried to interview him but he should, in fact, Rivera must not limit his search to the selected few but broaden any search to as many eligible candidates as possible. It is possible that multiple OC candidate interviews could absolutely enlighten Rivera and broaden his understanding with respect to how other more successful offenses have operated instead of what's thus far been tried and not been very successful during his time as an NFL head coach.
It feels like it's down to Eric, Zam, Or Shurmer. The Eagles QB coach is intriguing to me because of Hurt's progression. I wonder what he could do with Richardson.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It feels like it's down to Eric, Zam, Or Shurmer. The Eagles QB coach is intriguing to me because of Hurt's progression. I wonder what he could do with Richardson.
It seems to me that Rivera has already conceded to a limited passing game by naming Howell his starter for next year and publicly stating that his 2023 team will primarily be a running one. Those announcements are puzzling considering the fact that Washington has two young fliers at WR, another when healthy in Samuel, and will hopefully upgrade at TE, in a league because rule changes lean more heavily towards the passing game. To me, Howell is a considerable gamble simply because he'll be asked to manage the offense and not be another cog toward making it more dynamic.

Richardson, OTOH, if they draft him is intriguing because I am entirely convinced that Rivera wants to duplicate his experiences with Cam Newton. In either case, my way too early but UNOFFICIAL prediction for the 2023 season is one that sees them winning fewer games than they did this past year.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not getting Bienimy get real . Our OC is already on staff it's why it is taking so long

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that Rivera has already conceded to a limited passing game by naming Howell his starter for next year and publicly stating that his 2023 team will primarily be a running one. Those announcements are puzzling considering the fact that Washington has two young fliers at WR, another when healthy in Samuel, and will hopefully upgrade at TE, in a league because rule changes lean more heavily towards the passing game. To me, Howell is a considerable gamble simply because he'll be asked to manage the offense and not be another cog toward making it more dynamic.

Richardson, OTOH, if they draft him is intriguing because I am entirely convinced that Rivera wants to duplicate his experiences with Cam Newton. In either case, my way too early but UNOFFICIAL prediction for the 2023 season is one that sees them winning fewer games than they did this past year.
Not sure which podcast it was but they said Ron named Howell because if they strike out at QB this off-season Ron can say Howell was his guy all along.

Not sure I totally buy that, but I still wonder if Ron is really ready to trust his head coaching life to a guy that only played in the Dallas game because Heinicke passed on the opportunity.

We'll see. I do think the 2 to 1 run thing was overblown.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which podcast it was but they said Ron named Howell because if they strike out at QB this off-season Ron can say Howell was his guy all along.

Not sure I totally buy that, but I still wonder if Ron is really ready to trust his head coaching life to a guy that only played in the Dallas game because Heinicke passed on the opportunity.

We'll see. I do think the 2 to 1 run thing was overblown.
First, nobody will believe Howell was his choice all along. If that was true he would have turned to him at the first opportunity available. We all know that he didn't do that.

I don't believe that Rivera has any choice but to trust his head coaching career to Howell and for two reasons. 1. He's practically run that career far beyond the lifespan of most coaches with his record. 2. It's pretty obvious that he's abandoned his silly 5 year plan. Nothing that he's tried worked especially at the position that he declared as his top priority two seasons ago. This is likely his last year here and I'm not sure that he's fully committed to the task anymore.

Finally, let's take the 2-1 ratio at face value. It really doesn't exude confidence in Howell's ability to deliver as needed.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, nobody will believe Howell was his choice all along. If that was true he would have turned to him at the first opportunity available. We all know that he didn't do that.

I don't believe that Rivera has any choice but to trust his head coaching career to Howell and for two reasons. 1. He's practically run that career far beyond the lifespan of most coaches with his record. 2. It's pretty obvious that he's abandoned his silly 5 year plan. Nothing that he's tried worked especially at the position that he declared as his top priority two seasons ago. This is likely his last year here and I'm not sure that he's fully committed to the task anymore.

Finally, let's take the 2-1 ratio at face value. It really doesn't exude confidence in Howell's ability to deliver as needed.
I mostly agree, but I think Howell's performance probably gave Ron a little hope maybe false hope. I think the 2 to 1 comment was a jab at Scott for not feeding Robinson. Kinda throwing blame and telling the media if we pound the football from week one instead of week 8 we'll be a playoff team.

Coach speak imo.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree regarding your assessment of a limited passing game for 2023. We knew Taylor could win us games but be limited, we KNEW Wentz was going to be a total fail, BUT with Howell, we really really don't know what to expect...which is exciting. He's got an arm, is athletic and cheap!!!