• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who QBs the Steelers next season?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I'll say. If we can win a Super Bowl, give me Aaron Rodgers. But he hasn't been able to get the job done. 0-4 in NFC title games since winning the Super Bowl. So I'm on the fence about signing him.

The problem with this all is there is no good option to take over as the starter, so I'm throwing my hands up in the air at this point. Whoever we get, I'll support, but I will probably find something wrong with it regardless of who it is lol. Just being honest lol

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Fucking. Way. 38-year-old player, maybe two good years before he falls off a cliff.

It's not like they are just a QB away right now. This isn't how the Steelers operate, and I think this report is bullshit.

Rebuilding is not how the Steelers operate either. They refuse to be in the basement in the North :dhd:

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebuilding is not how the Steelers operate either. They refuse to be in the basement in the North :dhd:
No, they don't.

But that doesn't mean mortgage their future to rent Aaron for 2 years.

The Steelers aren't getting in a draft pick bidding war over this guy.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah no chance they make this deal. That is insane for a 38 yr old QB and essentially lose all their cap space just to take him on.
That's the other thing. They blow up their cap space to sign him.

They need that to bring in the FA's they would need to be successful.

If they do a trade like this for Aaron, who are they going to be able to afford or draft to fix their holes at OL, WR, ILB, and CB, and possible needs at DL, too?

They might have Aaron, but he wouldn't be able to take the team deep in the playoffs with those wounds. So it would just be a waste of picks and cap space.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I'll say. If we can win a Super Bowl, give me Aaron Rodgers. But he hasn't been able to get the job done. 0-4 in NFC title games since winning the Super Bowl. So I'm on the fence about signing him.

The problem with this all is there is no good option to take over as the starter, so I'm throwing my hands up in the air at this point. Whoever we get, I'll support, but I will probably find something wrong with it regardless of who it is lol. Just being honest lol
Lol honesty is the best policy. Yeah we kinda need to get lucky. Theres a few draft qbs growing on me. Ridder being one of them. Shocked how little hype he is getting.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Fucking. Way. 38-year-old player, maybe two good years before he falls off a cliff.

It's not like they are just a QB away right now. This isn't how the Steelers operate, and I think this report is bullshit.

Glad I saw your comment before I said anything. Was gonna mention AR's age. It'll take multiple 1st rounder to get him outta GB. And at 38 not sure he's worth it.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny...there was a time when I thought the road goes on forever. Stupid ass me.

anyways, being a somewhat old fart, I'd send draft picks for another NFL championship based on my experience what could become the norm.

I don't see Pittsburgh doing this but it's an interesting point to ponder.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not with the holes this team has. You fix QB but spend all your cap space and your #1 pick to do so.

Now how to you get:

2 OL
2 WR
DL
ILB
CB
S

You can free up a little by extending/cutting some guys but not enough to make this a championship team. That ship has sailed.

Start over and rebuild the lines.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with the holes this team has. You fix QB but spend all your cap space and your #1 pick to do so.

Now how to you get:

2 OL
2 WR
DL
ILB
CB
S

You can free up a little by extending/cutting some guys but not enough to make this a championship team. That ship has sailed.

Start over and rebuild the lines.
1646673994617.jpeg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the offer that is a big no for me.

sloth no GIF

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Titty Trubisky and lets find the right guy next year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of picks but who knows...I bet people were saying the same thing about Brady at that age too. It's different nowadays, I would actually worry about the fact that Rodgers might not want to play that long more than if he actually could play long. I could see him being this good for another 3-4 years but does he want to play this long? who knows. A lot of risk but the Steelers would be vying for a championship asap for in that time frame. All they need is one SB to justify giving up those picks. A lot of competition in the AFC but I would put them right in the top 2-3 if they were to get Rodgers.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of picks but who knows...I bet people were saying the same thing about Brady at that age too. It's different nowadays, I would actually worry about the fact that Rodgers might not want to play that long more than if he actually could play long. I could see him being this good for another 3-4 years but does he want to play this long? who knows. A lot of risk but the Steelers would be vying for a championship asap for in that time frame. All they need is one SB to justify giving up those picks. A lot of competition in the AFC but I would put them right in the top 2-3 if they were to get Rodgers.
There have been 15 quarterbacks who started in the NFL after they turned 40 years old.

Let's not count anyone from more than 30 years ago. The game was MUCH different then. And lets look at the list of the 10 oldest.

Steve DeBerg: 44 years 9 months
Vinny Testaverde: 44 years 1 month
Warren Moon 43 years 1 months
Tom Brady 43 years 7 months
Doug Flutie 43 years 2 months
Drew Brees 42 years 1 month
Brett Favre 41 years 2 months

That's 7 quarterbacks.
I went and looked at their stats at pro-football-reference.

Favre went 5-8 in his 41st year. Don't want that.
Brees was plagued by injuries his last two years, after a really long stretch of being healthy and reliable.
Flutie started 6 total games in his last 4 years.
Tom Brady is the exception.
Moon started 1 game in his last two seasons. he wasn't any good in his year 41 season.
Testaverde started 10 games in his last 3 years.
DeBerg was a hop-around backup guy, and he never started more than 5 games in his last 5 years in the league.

After you hit 40, unless you're Tom Brady, you're at best a backup level player either by diminished abilities or injury.

I wouldn't want to be the team that bets 2 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick, and another conditional 1st that Rodgers can be the 2nd exception.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been 15 quarterbacks who started in the NFL after they turned 40 years old.

Let's not count anyone from more than 30 years ago. The game was MUCH different then. And lets look at the list of the 10 oldest.

Steve DeBerg: 44 years 9 months
Vinny Testaverde: 44 years 1 month
Warren Moon 43 years 1 months
Tom Brady 43 years 7 months
Doug Flutie 43 years 2 months
Drew Brees 42 years 1 month
Brett Favre 41 years 2 months

That's 7 quarterbacks.
I went and looked at their stats at pro-football-reference.

Favre went 5-8 in his 41st year. Don't want that.
Brees was plagued by injuries his last two years, after a really long stretch of being healthy and reliable.
Flutie started 6 total games in his last 4 years.
Tom Brady is the exception.
Moon started 1 game in his last two seasons. he wasn't any good in his year 41 season.
Testaverde started 10 games in his last 3 years.
DeBerg was a hop-around backup guy, and he never started more than 5 games in his last 5 years in the league.

After you hit 40, unless you're Tom Brady, you're at best a backup level player either by diminished abilities or injury.

I wouldn't want to be the team that bets 2 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick, and another conditional 1st that Rodgers can be the 2nd exception.
Does ARod look like he is slowing down? Times are changing and current QB's could be changing that tune. I get it won't happen much regardless but Rodgers is one of the guys that could very well do it like Brady. Am I saying he could do it until 43-44, not likely but a solid 3 years is definitely doable. Rodgers is mobile, has a quick release and takes less big hits than he did earlier in his career. Plus, the recent rules changes are in favor of QB's trending to play longer. Difficult to compare that trend with the recent rules changes that protect QB's to an extreme level.

Do you think 3 more years is worth it? I think it is worth it but like I said, I don't know if he wants to do that or what he would commit to. If he commits to 1 or 2 no way you do that. 3 or more is worth the risk imo

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does ARod look like he is slowing down? Times are changing and current QB's could be changing that tune. I get it won't happen much regardless but Rodgers is one of the guys that could very well do it like Brady. Am I saying he could do it until 43-44, not likely but a solid 3 years is definitely doable. Rodgers is mobile, has a quick release and takes less big hits than he did earlier in his career. Plus, the recent rules changes are in favor of QB's trending to play longer. Difficult to compare that trend with the recent rules changes that protect QB's to an extreme level.

Do you think 3 more years is worth it? I think it is worth it but like I said, I don't know if he wants to do that or what he would commit to. If he commits to 1 or 2 no way you do that. 3 or more is worth the risk imo
That's a different sport. I don't think it's fair to compare them. Players in different sports, and even within different positions within a sport, have different shelf lives.

I do NOT think 3 years is worth it for that trade. And I dispute that he will be productive in his third year.

The Steelers are NOT just a QB away, and trading picks for him, and paying his salary will put them even farther from competing for a title.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a different sport. I don't think it's fair to compare them. Players in different sports, and even within different positions within a sport, have different shelf lives.

I do NOT think 3 years is worth it for that trade. And I dispute that he will be productive in his third year.

The Steelers are NOT just a QB away, and trading picks for him, and paying his salary will put them even farther from competing for a title.
Salary I agree with but I absolutely think he could be great for 3 more years, if he wanted to play that long. I haven't looked at the Steelers cap room this year or for future years so that's a different story but they would instantly be favorites in the AFCN for years to come.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers fans are crazy for turning down trading for Rodgers.