• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the best coach in the BIG

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge homer here, but IMO Dantonio should be walking away with this. The year they beat Stanford in the Rose Bowl they wrre #4 in the country and i think would have won the Nstional Championship that year if there had been a playoff, but that was still BCS era. Still a top 3 finish in the country. Then he took a bad team to the playoffs. They got routed there because they were never good enough to be there, but he kept that team winning games all year that they shouldn't have. Whether it was the "Little Giants" fake FG to beat ND, or the all jailhouse punt block when only a blocked put returned for a TD could beat Michigan.

His problem is that his strengths as a coach are also holding him back. He gets his teams to buy into that family atmosphere, that us against the world mentality. But he's bought into it so much himself that he won't make any changes to his coaching staff. They scored like 56 points total on the season, and ran one of the most basic dumbed down offenses I've seen since 1987. But he didn't fire his OC, just shuffled him to a different pisition coach and promoted a different position coach to be OC.

Hes had just as much, or more success at MSU as Saban had here. Hes got Sparty fans disappointed with just winning seasons and bowl games. Every preseason Sparty is talking about big 10 Championships and playoffs. That's not the kind of school Michigan State has been for at least my whole life.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be Smith and Harbaugh. They coached in the Super Bowl, so they MUST be the best.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabo, Kirby, Jimbo and Saban.
I don't know if I would put Kirby as elite. At least, not yet. Jimbo.... Not sure. He has the title, and has had success, but the end of the FSU job sours me a little on being elite.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Frost has a National Championship.

Yeah, that's right.

Hold off on that buddy.

Let’s wait until he completes his 3-peat in 2023 and then we can put him up there.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to change the subject, but are we talking all time or current?

All time, this guy wins.

VncBH.gif

But he punched like a pussy

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d say Dantonio, but after seeing his off-season, where instead of bringing in new coaches to jump start the offense, he decided to play musical chairs — I’m worried for MSU fans that he refuses to change with the times.

Fitzgerald does tremendous with the type of talent he brings in at NW.

I’m not sure there is a coach who could be considered the best right now, but if I had to pick one — it’d be Dantonio for his accomplishments at MSU in the past

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all the champing that Harbaugh has. Easily it is him.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno who is best....but if I had a son, these are the B1G coaches I would recommend to him:

EAST DIV:
Mark Dantonio
Tom Allen

WEST DIV:
Pat Fitzgerald
Paul Chryst
Kirk Ferentz
Lovie Smith

I haven't seen enough of Frost, but perhaps I would eventually add him to my son approval list.

I believe Jeff Brohm is going to get great results, but his sideline attitude bothers me... he blows his gasket way too easily & often, and demeans staff & players publicly (on the sideline) frequently. IMO ass-chewings are for practice and the locker room (coaches need to keep that stuff internal). Sure almost all coaches will occasionally go ballistic while on the sideline, but coaches like Brohm and Saban do it regularly, and in a degrading manner.

The six guys I listed above pretty much carry a more professional disposition on the sidelines... yes, they occasionally go ballistic during games too, but it is something they mainly keep internal (locker room and practice).

PJ Fleck will probably get great results but he reminds me of a creepy cult leader.

James Franklin reminds me of a slimy used car salesman.

Jim Harbaugh seems a bit too much off his rocker.

I don't know enough about Locksley at Maryland and Ash at Rutgers.

Lastly, no matter who the coach is, I would disown my son if he chose the toilet that is Ohio State.

Well then...screw you too

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah he has won a chip and has like a 80% career win percentage
He coached in a weak conference at a school in one of the most talent rich states in the country. I think he got lucky that the playoffs weren’t a year earlier because I think Michigan State and Alabama would have beat them.

DaboAppeal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He coached in a weak conference at a school in one of the most talent rich states in the country. I think he got lucky that the playoffs weren’t a year earlier because I think Michigan State and Alabama would have beat them.
In 2013? I seriously doubt it. We played against them and we had a good team. They had an otherworldly team that year. They had the Heisman winner and I don't know how many 1st round picks. Didn't like all their starters play in the NFL?

But either way we will see what he does at Texas A&M.

Not sure if he is truly elite (Dabo, Nick) but he has as good a case as anyone after that.