• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who I think were/are the top 10 running backs this season.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Melvin Gordon - Wisconsin

Melvin Gordon broke the single game rushing record against Nebraska. He did so in 3 quarters. Well, he rushed 40 yards in the 1st quarter and the rest in 2nd and 3rd quarter. A week after Gordon broke the record, Samaje Perine broke it against Kansas.

However, what is making Gordon 1st on this list is he is 368 yards away from the single season rushing yards record that is held by Barry Sanders. Gordon has 2,260 yards so far this season and Sanders had 2,628. He could have the best year in history for a running back.

2) Tevin Coleman - Indiana

If Coleman rushed 100 yards against Penn State, he would have 100 yards rushing in every game. He did that on one of the worst passing offenses and one of the worst Power 5 conference teams. If he did this on Alabama, he probably wouldn't be Top 4, but doing it as the only thing on the team puts him at #2.

3) Javorius Allen - USC

I know Allen is not even a top 20 rusher. I know Abdullah is up for the Doak Walker Award. I know that Abdullah had a great game against my favorite team. But Javorius Allen was the only running back in FBS who gained 100 yards from scrimmage in every game. He didn't rush 100 yards in every game, but if you include his receiving stats, he gained 100 yards in every game.

4) Ameer Abdullah - Nebraska

Most of the season, I thought Abdullah was the best running back in college football. Nobody is arguing Gordon above Abdullah now. About half would say he is better than Coleman, but understand why Coleman is getting so much credit. But Allen has been, and still is, under-the-radar. This season has been all about the rushing yards, where Allen has done good receiving when he hasn't rushing. But Abdullah has dominated and was the staple to that Nebraska offense. I also think he was bumped down with Wisconsin doing good against him and his minor injury after that.

5) James Conner - Pittsburgh

Conner is still young and was on a struggling Pitt team. He is good at squaring up and run. Conner did finish the season as the #4 running back. Boise State's Ajayi will should pass him this week, but I consider MWC Championship a post season game.

6) David Cobb - Minnesota

I can see Cobb being a great 3rd down back in the NFL. He is not fast, but he is very powerful. He finished 3rd in rushing yards among B1G running backs and was a top 10 rusher in FBS.

7) Donnel Pumphrey - San Diego State

Pumphrey could possibly reach 2,000 yards rushing as a sophomore. He has 1,761 rushing yards. He has yet to play the MWC Championship game against Boise State and the bowl game. He is also averaging 6.9 YPC and has 19 touchdowns.

8) Duke Johnson - Miami (FL)

Johnson is 3 yards shy from Abdullah with nearly 20 less carries. However, Abdullah was the star in the Nebraska-Miami matchup. Duke averages 7 yards per carry and has over 1,500 rushing yards. He doesn't get into the endzone very often. He only has 10 rushing touchdowns.

9) Samaje Perine - Oklahoma

People can say, "Oh it is only against Kansas" about Perine breaking the single game record, but the record isn't just broken every time a good team plays a bottom feeder. Breaking the record is an accomplishment. With nearly 70 less carries, Perine has 7 less touchdowns than Gordon and Perine does average 6.7 YPC. However, he didn't perform very well against decent defenses though.

10) Devon Johnson - Marshall

Johnson reached 1,600 rushing yards and averages 8.6 YPC. However, he doesn't have near as many carries that many other top rushers have, but that is also impressive. Marshall's schedule is not near as difficult and played for a team that was expected to go undefeated. But 1,600 yards on 187 carries is pretty impressive.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pfft and double pfft...

No other current Big Ten running back has rushed for 100 yards in 15 consecutive regular-season games against conference opponents the way Michigan State's Jeremy Langford has.

Not Melvin Gordon of Wisconsin, not Indiana's Tevin Coleman, not David Cobb at Minnesota or Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah.
In fact, there isn't another player in any Football Bowl Subdivision league (formerly Division I-A) who has engineered such a streak since 1996. Not from the SEC, the Big 12, the ACC or the Pac-12.

:noidea:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is TJ Yeldon on this list?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Langford did good in B1G. Didn't do that much in OOC and he did have the carries, minus the EMU game. But he may have gotten the yards, he also had a lot of carries and was on a great passing offense. The running backs on the list with less than 6.0 YPC are those who made up the offense. Allen made up for his lack of running by receiving.

Please tell me TJ Yeldon was a joke.

Gurley needed more games. I did consider him.

Last edited by a moderator:

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I disagree with this list much but I do think Royce Freeman deserves an honorable mention for what he's done as a true freshman.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard not to include DJ Foster on this list, or Josh Robinson. Just watching both of those guys, you never know when they will be tackled.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Langford did good in B1G. Didn't do that much in OOC and he did have the carries, minus the EMU game. But he may have gotten the yards, he also had a lot of carries and was on a great passing offense. The running backs on the list with less than 6.0 YPC are those who made up the offense. Allen made up for his lack of running by receiving.

Yeldon would probably be the leading rusher in the B1G. You're giving too much credit to RB's who played in your weak conference. Gordon is a bad ass though......

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROYce Freeman

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So your argument that Langford was better than Gordon this season is that...he did something Gordon didn't last season? Huh?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't realize it was the running backs with the top 10 stats...

I would take gurley over anyone on your list and I would take Yeldon over at least half.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeldon would probably be the leading rusher in the B1G. You're giving too much credit to RB's who played in your weak conference. Gordon is a bad ass though......

Somehow I'll choose the Doak Walker committee over your half ass swipe at the B1G.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Wilson- True freshman and he even missed a couple games and still managed to put insane numbers.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard not to include DJ Foster on this list, or Josh Robinson. Just watching both of those guys, you never know when they will be tackled.

I like DJ Foster. I am glad he reached 1,000 yards. But he was not the same after his injury against UCLA.

Robinson was a name that I didn't look at. He had a nice average and didn't have many carries. But he really didn't do anything in Miss St's last 4 games (I'm not going to count Tenn Martin game). It almost seems he wasn't utilized as much as the teams I listed.

Yeldon might be the best running back in the country, but he reached 100 yards 4 times. Fine, it is common for great RBs to have 7-8 carries and less than 100 yards against FCS or weak mid-majors, but why did he have only 45 yards against Arkansas? He had 16 carries. He had 52 yards against LSU. He had 8 rushing touchdowns and 1 receiving touchdowns. If he is so good, Nick Saban definitely did not utilize him like he did in the past. Amari Cooper was utilized and is the best WR in the country because of it.

I would take gurley over anyone on your list and I would take Yeldon over at least half.

It's not necessarily. I left out Jay Ajayi, Jordon Howard, and Jarvion Franklin. But why would I not include top 10 stats when making a top 10 list?

I said before, Gurley was amazing when he played, but he missed most of the SEC games.

Meh, David Cobb ran all over your weak conference and gained only 48 yds vs. TCU. Just saying......

You made such a case for Yeldon, who failed to reach 70 yards in 6 of the 11 games he's played in, but you bring up how Cobb did in a game vs a Top 5 team?

Oh, and Cobb wasn't a finalist for the Doak Walker Award. The other 3 RBs from the B1G on my list are.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I disagree with this list much but I do think Royce Freeman deserves an honorable mention for what he's done as a true freshman.

As a true freshman, he did put up some incredible stats. He had nice average and scored a good # of touchdowns. 1,200 yards as a true freshman is crazy, but not quite good enough for Top 10. Definitely good enough for honorable mention and one to watch in the future.

Also, I also think what helps other players over Freeman is the other players don't have a Heisman candidate as a QB. No fault to Freeman, but the fact that those others have similar or better stats and they are the offensive game plan is very impressive.

Nick Wilson- True freshman and he even missed a couple games and still managed to put insane numbers.

He missed 1 game, but you are right. Wilson did have good stats, especially as a true freshman. But he would fall under the same category as Freeman. He did amazing for a true freshman, but I just don't think he stood out enough to be Top 10 in the country. But definitely one to look for in the future.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Artis-Payne > Yeldon

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Between him and Freeman there should be two very good rushers in the PAC next year. For Freeman I have a feeling they will lean on him a bit more next year with all the Ducks are going to be losing to the NFL and graduation.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Ajayi? 1619 rushing yds, 536 receiving and 29 touchdowns. Honorable mention at least.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didja ever notice how lame things get when posts begin with "so" or "well"...

So your argument that Langford was better than Gordon this season is that...he did something Gordon didn't last season? Huh?

Serious?
Are you THAT fucking stupid?