• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Do You Want to See on 9/1?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think it is a no brainer that Crawford and Ford and Burriss are Chez3 brought back up on 9/1.

I would love to see Hembree and Edlefson as well.

I want to see Pill.

Mostly, I want to see Brown. I have seen four games he has played this year, all away games, and in those four games, he has hit 5 triples. In the last ten games, his line is this:

24-48 (.500/.547/.875 for a sick OPS of 1.422)

6 2b

3 3b

2 HR

12 RBI

4 W

5 K

He's been in San Jose all year facing mediocre high A pitching. But the guy can hit, (hit .438 his senior year at Fullerton!), and he can fly!

Speed, youth, energy. I know the Giants have a super-abundance of these qualities, but why not add one more?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edlefson is still in SF as of right now, so I doubt he gets called up. Ford, Burris and Chez I think are locks.

Hembree, I think has just north of 0% to be called up. We do not need the bully arms, and he is a blue-chipper, so no need to eat up an option for something that is not needed.

I think Brown has a better shot of getting the call up, but I still would be surprised. He is not on the 40, and calling him up would eat an option. However, he is advanced and had a monster year. Giving him the taste of the bigs could pay off. The experience would be overwhelming, but he would have it in his back pocket moving forward. Giving him the shot would also help since he is in the long-shot department for the opening day job next year.

Pill has just south of 0%. He does not play a position of need, is not on the 40, and has been in the org long enough to apparently convince the FO he is not a major leaguer.

Gillaspie WILL be called up.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Edlefson is still in SF as of right now, so I doubt he gets called up. Ford, Burris and Chez I think are locks.

Hembree, I think has just north of 0% to be called up. We do not need the bully arms, and he is a blue-chipper, so no need to eat up an option for something that is not needed.

I think Brown has a better shot of getting the call up, but I still would be surprised. He is not on the 40, and calling him up would eat an option. However, he is advanced and had a monster year. Giving him the taste of the bigs could pay off. The experience would be overwhelming, but he would have it in his back pocket moving forward. Giving him the shot would also help since he is in the long-shot department for the opening day job next year.

Pill has just south of 0%. He does not play a position of need, is not on the 40, and has been in the org long enough to apparently convince the FO he is not a major leaguer.

Good call!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Actually, that Pill is not a prospect, but has been a good organizational filler, means he will get called up. Giving him a taste of the big leagues is exactly the type of reward the Giants give to these types.

I'd like to see Kroon. Besides some of the niche roll guys already mentioned (Ford, Burriss), who might help win a close game or two, there isn't anyone in the minors who can make this team better right now

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, that Pill is not a prospect, but has been a good organizational filler, means he will get called up. Giving him a taste of the big leagues is exactly the type of reward the Giants give to these types.

I'd like to see Kroon. Besides some of the niche roll guys already mentioned (Ford, Burriss), who might help win a close game or two, there isn't anyone in the minors who can make this team better right now

In order to do this (and I am not against it), they would need to make room. That means sticking a fork in Pat's career or moving Headcase to the 60. Pat, I doubt they will do that to. He has earned the right to end his career on the field, and if the G's want to keep him in the fold as an alumnus (and I think they do), they need to do right by him. Headcase to the 60 is a good option, though.

Kroon, although it would be a great story, is most likely not happening. 1) his second half numbers have been awful, and 2) he is hurt. I am not sure HOW hurt, but he has not pitched in a couple weeks.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Peguero. I think Burriss, Craw, Gillaspie, and Ford are locks to be called up.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll take a 1996 Brady Anderson.

- a CF and leadoff hitter who OPS'ed > 1.000

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a 1996 Brady Anderson.

- a CF and leadoff hitter who OPS'ed > 1.000

How about his rhyming buddy 2011 Curtis Granderson?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

September call-ups do not have to use options. Options are used for in-season transactions only. So let's deal with Hembree here. Currently he plays for the Richmond Flying Squirrels in Double-A. Their regular season officially ends on September 5. If the SF Giants added him to the 40-man roster and called him up on Sept. 6, he would NOT use an option year because, technically, his team's season is over and the 40-man roster is the active roster in the bigs.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
September call-ups do not have to use options. Options are used for in-season transactions only. So let's deal with Hembree here. Currently he plays for the Richmond Flying Squirrels in Double-A. Their regular season officially ends on September 5. If the SF Giants added him to the 40-man roster and called him up on Sept. 6, he would NOT use an option year because, technically, his team's season is over and the 40-man roster is the active roster in the bigs.

I think you are correct. If he has to be placed on the 40 man roster anyway - to protect him from the next rule 5 draft - then putting him on the 40 man on sept 1 won't use up an extra option.

Last edited by a moderator:

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, I think it is a no brainer that Crawford and Ford and Burriss are Chez3 brought back up on 9/1.

I would love to see Hembree and Edlefson as well.

I want to see Pill.

Mostly, I want to see Brown. I have seen four games he has played this year, all away games, and in those four games, he has hit 5 triples. In the last ten games, his line is this:

24-48 (.500/.547/.875 for a sick OPS of 1.422)

6 2b

3 3b

2 HR

12 RBI

4 W

5 K

He's been in San Jose all year facing mediocre high A pitching. But the guy can hit, (hit .438 his senior year at Fullerton!), and he can fly!

Speed, youth, energy. I know the Giants have a super-abundance of these qualities, but why not add one more?

There's a very simple explanation for that. Gary Brown is already the greatest CFer not named Mays of all time (even with slight hyperbole I couldn't find it in my heart to place him above Willie.)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Sabes in the off season float this trade?

Adam Dunn for Rowand and Zito?

Rowand seems to like Chicago better than SF, Zito may be more of an AL pitcher than an NL pitcher, though at this point he is not much of an anything pitcher.

Dunn has had an atrocious year, and cannot really be this bad, can he? Is he hurt? Guy has averaged 40 homers a year, and this year he is hitting .163 with 11 homers. He came up as a LF, but has been at 1B and DH this year, and mostly at 1B with the Nats in 2010. The Giants have not had a legit 40 homer guy in their lineup since, well, since what's his name.

Dunn is owed $44 million through 2014 ($14m, $15m, $15m)

Zito is owed $19 million (2012) and $20 million (2013) with a $7 million buyout for 2014

Rowand is owed $12 million for 2012

So we give CWS the $14 million difference.

Hey, it is probably be a terrible idea. But having Rowand and Zito on the same team is NOT a terrible idea?

:behindsofa:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you sure of this? My understanding (and I could be wrong about this) is that any year a player is on the 40 counts as an option. If Hembree gets added this year, it eats an option.

I hope you are right, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rowand seems to like Chicago better than SF, Zito may be more of an AL pitcher than an NL pitcher, though at this point he is not much of an anything pitcher.

Dunn has had an atrocious year, and cannot really be this bad, can he? Is he hurt? Guy has averaged 40 homers a year, and this year he is hitting .163 with 11 homers. He came up as a LF, but has been at 1B and DH this year, and mostly at 1B with the Nats in 2010. The Giants have not had a legit 40 homer guy in their lineup since, well, since what's his name.

Zito is owed $19 million (2012) and $20 million (2013) with a $7 million buyout for 2014

Hey, it is probably be a terrible idea. But having Rowand and Zito on the same team is NOT a terrible idea?

MSG???

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a fairly creative idea, and probably the type we'll need to consider to get rid of Zeets. In 2012, it would free up $19MM in payroll. In 2013 it would free up $5MM, and in 2014 it would cost us $8MM. I wouldn't send over all $14MM difference; maybe $8MM so that in the end we end up saving about $8MM.

However, there is no position for Dunn in SF. He can't play the OF any more, and certainly not at AT&T. Belt/Huff will man 1b next year and we don't want to consign Belt to the OF in 13 and 14.

So, no, it's not crazy -- but I wouldn't do it.