• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the top 5 college football coaches of all-time?

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is terrible. Basically means only coaches at top 10 programs can apply. Criteria B is much more important. Tjose voaxhes advanced the game of football.

Sure a Texas coach brought up some new innovated strategies to the game of football, that were later perfected and ran better by other coaches NOT from Texas. Thus, I can make the argument that the other coaches were more innovated to take a 'new' strategy even further.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy like Snyder was way better than Osbourne or Switzer. His influence on the game is significantly more than both of those guys combined. He just didnt get to walk into a already established powerhouse program

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure a Texas coach brought up some new innovated strategies to the game of football, that were later perfected and ran better by other coaches NOT from Texas. Thus, I can make the argument that the other coaches were more innovated to take a 'new' strategy even further.

Not DKR didnt win titles, so the critique is off base. Switzer and Osborne never had to coach without superior talent.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coach had to become great to make it into a top 10 program....Or build that program to what it is today.

You listed coaches that did not build programs, just continued the tradition.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switzer's greatest gift was his recognition of talent and releasing and letting that talent explode.

Switzer never feared putting talent on the field regardless of their knowledge of the scheme much less playbook.

And he was as good of a recruiter as anybody with a nearly open checkbook. Not even Darrell Royal, Bear Bryant, RC Slocum, or Ron Meyer could argue.

Did you just say Switzer was great because he paid players the most?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just say Switzer was great because he paid players the most?

Even during Switzer's time, nobody paid more than the now defunct SWC and the SEC.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some great Coaches were innovators, some weren't.
I'd say that Switzer did some innovations with the wishbone, but that was about it.
Wilkinson was the real innovator and it took other coaches a lot of years to catch up to him. He originated the hurry up offense, platoon football, schemes, practices, and who and how he recruited.

But in the end every great coach on a greatest ever list did it with superior talent.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant
Osborne
Paterno
Bowden
Saban

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You listed coaches that did not build programs, just continued the tradition.

You do realize that Osborne was the offensive coordinator and played a huge role in getting Nebraska over the hump to win titles in 70 and 71? Then he took over and won 9 or more games a year for the next 25 years. He was a major part of building the program.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does it matter if a coach 'continued the tradition'.
There are plenty of coaches that were given the chance and failed at it. The history of college football is littered with them.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear Bryant
John McKay
Knute Rockne
Tom Osborne
Nick Saban

When Saban's contract runs out, he will be at the top of this list.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not actually top 5, but John Gagliardi deserves a tip of the cap at least.

These topics always make me wonder what would have been if Frank Kush didn't get fired for punching his punter. He had more wins and was younger than Paterno when he was canned. If he'd coached at ASU until his natural retirement (whenever that would have been), ASU probably has National Championships to their name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that Osborne was the offensive coordinator and played a huge role in getting Nebraska over the hump to win titles in 70 and 71? Then he took over and won 9 or more games a year for the next 25 years. He was a major part of building the program.

You do realize that Devaney built the program. Coaching records before Devaney:

Bill Jennings: 15 - 34 -1
Elliot: 4- 6
Glassford: 31-35-3

Winning Percenages Devaney: 83%, Osborne: 83.6%, and Solich 75%... DEvaney's 83% win percentage is way more impressive, than Osborne's.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does it matter if a coach 'continued the tradition'.
There are plenty of coaches that were given the chance and failed at it. The history of college football is littered with them.
-
There were, but that means their win percentage will be puffed up. Means they never had to build a program. Means they were always sitting at the poker table with the big stack.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that Devaney built the program. Coaching records before Devaney:

Bill Jennings: 15 - 34 -1
Elliot: 4- 6
Glassford: 31-35-3

Winning Percenages Devaney: 83%, Osborne: 83.6%, and Solich 75%... DEvaney's 83% win percentage is way more impressive, than Osborne's.

And you do realize that Osborne was the one who moved Nebraska to an I formation...not sure if you've heard of it, but we're kind of known for it :laugh:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
There were, but that means their win percentage will be puffed up. Means they never had to build a program. Means they were always sitting at the poker table with the big stack.

If that's going to be one of your criteria for greatest coaches of all time, I don't have a problem with it. I can see where you are coming from. I would think your list looks something like this;

Wilkinson
Royal
Bowden
Paterno
Devany
and anyone else who turned a powerhouse into what it became.

coaches that would be out on your list;
Switzer
Osborne
Bryant
Johnson
Saban
and anyone else who came after a powerhouse was established.

different angle, but I could see it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's going to be one of your criteria for greatest coaches of all time, I don't have a problem with it. I can see where you are coming from. I would think your list looks something like this;

Wilkinson
Royal
Bowden
Paterno
Devany
and anyone else who turned a powerhouse into what it became.

coaches that would be out on your list;
Switzer
Osborne
Bryant
Johnson
Saban
and anyone else who came after a powerhouse was established.

different angle, but I could see it.

I dont think it is that simple. Lot of coaches proved their chops at lower schools before getting to big jobs. I dont think it is appropriate to knock them down on their winning percentage, because they had to start the game at smaller schools with less resources. I also think the only true measure of a coach is where his performance ranks within the program. Why i have so much respect for Synder. He is the only coach at KSU to have a winning career coaching record, since 1934 (waldorf, but that was one season). Guy before him went 2-30-1 in the 3 seasons before him. 3 coaches pror to him had a combined 33-119-3 record or a 22% winning percentage. That is just amazing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it is that simple. Lot of coaches proved their chops at lower schools before getting to big jobs. I dont think it is appropriate to knock them down on their winning percentage, because they had to start the game at smaller schools with less resources. I also think the only true measure of a coach is where his performance ranks within the program. Why i have so much respect for Synder. He is the only coach at KSU to have a winning career coaching record, since 1934 (waldorf, but that was one season). Guy before him went 2-30-1 in the 3 seasons before him. 3 coaches pror to him had a combined 33-119-3 record or a 22% winning percentage. That is just amazing.

You have to wonder what Snyder could do at a program like Nebraska, Texas, or something like that.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you would have a unique set of criteria for greatest coaches.
Would be interesting to see what all of them are.
Give it a post.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not actually top 5, but John Gagliardi deserves a tip of the cap at least.

These topics always make me wonder what would have been if Frank Kush didn't get fired for punching his punter. He had more wins and was younger than Paterno when he was canned. If he'd coached at ASU until his natural retirement (whenever that would have been), ASU probably has National Championships to their name.

Excellent call. How about Kehres at Mt Union. He was 332 - 24-1 in 27 seasons. That is almost a 93% winning percentage. 11 National Titles. 21 unbeaten regular seasons. Stone cold killer.