• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who are the top 5 college football coaches of all-time?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that was a joke, he would most likely make the top 5 at USC all time maybe:laugh3:

But not top 5 all time, all time:doh:

He gets a Top 5 mention just for causing one of the greatest message board meltdowns of all time!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q

Bill Snyder

Without a doubt. People look down at him, because he never left for a top 10 job. I respect him more for it. He gets more out of his talent than any coach I have seen the last 2or 3 decades. There maybe no zone read, if it was not for Snyder

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see some stats...I don't know the specifics of other teams' coaches.

Tom Osborne-25 Years, 255-49-3, .836 Win Pct., 13 conference titles, 3 national titles

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, with a homer free opinion, here it is.

1. Bear Bryant - 6 National Championships. A man of few words, but meaningful words. Demanded and expected greatness of himself and those around him. Nothing short of elite would ever do. The gold standard of college football coaches.
2. Bud Wilkinson - From 1948 to 1958 his OU teams were 107-8-2 and had 12 consecutive undefeated seasons in conference play and an NCAA record 47 game winning streak.
3. Knute Rockne - 4 National Championships, and died at the age of 43. 105-12-5 career record in 13 seasons. Father of Notre Dame football.
4. Jimmy Johnson - Changed the way college football would be forever played with the attacking and aggressive style da U played with under his helm. One of only 3 coaches (Barry Switzer and Pete Carroll the other 2) who has ever won an NCAA title and a Super Bowl. Also changed how the NFL draft would be played, and how we see it played today. Without any doubt (in my mind atleast) the biggest innovator and game changer at the head coaching position we've seen in modern times.
5. Fielding Yost - Yes this is back in the aught years. No not the 20-aught years, but the 1900 aught years. 198-35-12 (81% win percentage, 85% win or tie percentage), Yost won 6 National Titles at Michigan. Yes, every single one is/was debatable back then, but the 1901 Michigan team went 11-0 with a team vs opponents points scored record that year of 555-0 including a shutout win in the Rose Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane Kiffin has to top any list.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Osborne-25 Years, 255-49-3, .836 Win Pct., 13 conference titles, 3 national titles

I agree. Tommy boy is in any top 5 list

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if I could narrow it down to 3. Guys in the convo have to be:

Wilkinson
Bryant
Osborne
Switzer
Paterno
Bowden
Snyder
And I hate to say this, but Saban may be adding his name to this list soon.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Frank Leahy coached 13 years 107-13-9, .864 Win Pct, 5 national titles. Yet he seems to not get the credit he deserves.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Leahy coached 13 years 107-13-9, .864 Win Pct, 5 national titles. Yet he seems to not get the credit he deserves.

:agree:

Why did he not coach in '44 and '45. Did he serve in the war or something.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear Bryant
Knute Rockne
Tom Osborne
Bud Wilkinson
Barry Switzer

A top 5 really isn't that difficult....how can you place another name in the hat better than these 5?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bear Bryant
Knute Rockne
Tom Osborne
Bud Wilkinson
Barry Switzer

A top 5 really isn't that difficult....how can you place another name in the hat better than these 5?

I never thought that much of Switzer. Just wasn't an innovator. Killer recruiter. I really give a lot of credit to coaches that pushed the game forward. I have Switzer in that Bowden group. There are so many coaches out their that deserve more respect. Guys like Yeoman, who revolutionized football with the veer option, and Dick LeBeau, credited with creating the 3-4. Most the guys mentioned were excellent coaches in great spots.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought that much of Switzer. Just wasn't an innovator. Killer recruiter. I really give a lot of credit to coaches that pushed the game forward. I have Switzer in that Bowden group. There are so many coaches out their that deserve more respect. Guys like Yeoman, who revolutionized football with the veer option, and Dick LeBeau, credited with creating the 3-4. Most the guys mentioned were excellent coaches in great spots.

Dick LeBeau is a NFL coach, and never did any head coaching. Doesn't really relate to the thread.

Bill Yeoman's winning % wasn't anything special. Just because you 'invent' a scheme doesn't make you a top coach of all time. It's the coaches who take the scheme and improve on it/develop it/recruit the players to get the scheme to work at its max potential that are the great coaches.

When you think of the greatest coaches of all time you have to think of these things

Criteria A:

1. National Championships
2. Conference Championships
3. Winning % All time

Then you can mention another debatable area for comparing coaches which you brought up, but I don't think is as important when stacking coaches against one another.

Criteria B:

1. Innovation with schemes
2. What type of program did they inherit
3. How long did they maintain success

The reason I say criteria A is more important is because they have to have achieved some sort of success in criteria B to accomplish the things in criteria A.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dick LeBeau is a NFL coach, and never did any head coaching. Doesn't really relate to the thread.

Bill Yeoman's winning % wasn't anything special. Just because you 'invent' a scheme doesn't make you a top coach of all time. It's the coaches who take the scheme and improve on it/develop it/recruit the players to get the scheme to work at its max potential that are the great coaches.

When you think of the greatest coaches of all time you have to think of these things

Criteria A:

3. Winning % All time

Then you can mention another debatable area for comparing coaches which you brought up, but I don't think is as important when stacking coaches against one another.

Criteria B:

The reason I say criteria A is more important is because they have to have achieved some sort of success in criteria B to accomplish the things in criteria A.

Exactly. Switzer may not have invented the wishbone, but he perfected it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Criteria A:

3. Winning % All time

Criteria B:

That is terrible. Basically means only coaches at top 10 programs can apply. Criteria B is much more important. Tjose voaxhes advanced the game of football.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Switzer may not have invented the wishbone, but he perfected it.

Switzer's greatest gift was his recognition of talent and releasing and letting that talent explode.

Switzer never feared putting talent on the field regardless of their knowledge of the scheme much less playbook.

And he was as good of a recruiter as anybody with a nearly open checkbook. Not even Darrell Royal, Bear Bryant, RC Slocum, or Ron Meyer could argue.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is terrible. Basically means only coaches at top 10 programs can apply.

A coach had to become great to make it into a top 10 program....Or build that program to what it is today.