• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whitner signs with the 49ers

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It almost seams like our free agent strategy was to wait through the big FA push, then sign a bunch of average players. Throw them agains the wall and see what sticks.

calison3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think the team expects to win it all this year so they are just trying to spend conservatively and maybe get a few starters that could be around for the long run. Then after this season we may have less holes to fill and they can go out and get big name guys and make a real push. Maybe?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Causing punts will be a nice change instead of setting back not putting pressure on and allowing a high percentage of 3rd down completions! Go 49ers!

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks! Hopefully Wyo can improve enough to give you guys some competition in the conference. Good luck this season! (except for 11/26:behindsofa:)

indeed sir

the more teams at the top the closer we are to an autobid!

Good luck to you guys as well, except for that same date :D

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fantasy: IDP – Regular Season Awards | ProFootballFocus.com

---------------

Your Guide to the Free Agents of the AFC East | ProFootballFocus.com

Au Revoir: For all the tackles Whitner made (and by our count he made twenty more than the nearest safety), he struggles in coverage (six touchdowns allowed) and owes a lot of those tackles to his front seven not getting to the ball. We’d keep George Wilson and pair him with Jairus Byrd, saving some cash and putting faith in Wilson playing like he did in 2009.

-----------------------

Ranking the Free Agents: Safeties | ProFootballFocus.com

Not exactly rave reviews. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have rather gone with Goldson and Smith again, though I would have switched Goldson to SS and played Smith at FS.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It almost seams like our free agent strategy was to wait through the big FA push, then sign a bunch of average players. Throw them agains the wall and see what sticks.

New front office and an almost entirely new coaching staff. There's gonna be a rebuilding period.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly rave reviews. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have rather gone with Goldson and Smith again, though I would have switched Goldson to SS and played Smith at FS.

That's exactly what I was gonna say. Seems like a lateral move, at best. Though like I just said, new regimes = new players.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel it's a big upgrade over Mays or whoever else they had playing Strong Safety last year. I think they could still use a Free Safety.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitner has been lacking in they "playmaking" area imo. He just racks up tackles. I guess he fits the scheme we are running better. His coverage must be better than Mays too.

Are his tackles made in run support?

Or are these just what I call Darren Sharper tackles... letting everyone and their mothers catch the ball for at least a first down, and then pushing them out of bounds??

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing's for sure, with the additions of Rogers and Whitner to our starting defensive backfield, we won't be seeing many interceptions. Hopefully we'll have a top punt returner cause we're definitely hoping to be causing quite a few punts.

Hopefully we will have a better pass rush which will allow those guys to make more big plays. The Bills never really had a solid pass rush IMO.

9ers4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Fangio's aggressive style maybe that can lead to more opportunities. I am just worried though because it seems like the only DB that can catch now is Reggie Smith

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Didi someone say trade rumours??? :)

Anyone think Mays could hold up at ILB???

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Goldson not coming back and the Niners front office sending a memo to all 31 teams that Mays is on the trading block goes to show the Niners are not quite happy with their secondary status. Unfortunately Mays was a waste of a 2nd round pick but at least somebody who makes decisions for this team finally came to their senses and noted that Mays' future in the NFL is NOT at safety.

I mentioned this on ESPN that you can NOT teach coverage skills - maybe to a certain minor extent but because Mays was probably so far behind on the learning curve in reading plays, it became obvious he's not safety material.

Solid signing of the former #8 overall pick, btw.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The quote by Baalke about big name FA's wanting to go to SB contenders sticks out to me. I think a lot of the turnover is to create a new culture and attitude among the players. Some are probably better fits for the scheme. Some are just money related - we weren't gonna compete w/ money Spikes got in his deal - or pay Baas top dollar. Also most of these deals are short term right? so if we can win a little we have room to sign top FA's in the near future. Just my thoughts...

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing's for sure, with the additions of Rogers and Whitner to our starting defensive backfield, we won't be seeing many interceptions. Hopefully we'll have a top punt returner cause we're definitely hoping to be causing quite a few punts.

As long as they can run man for man and prevent too many big plays, I'm good. Of course, having Aldon Smith and guys like Haralson step up would be huge, too.