• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox pursuing Wheeler

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is creating runs "bogus"? How is weighted on base average "bogus"? Good lord.

This forum just invents ways to be dense.

"This pickup sucks because we suck... and since we did it... it's meh."

Good god. The guy was a top catcher by EVERY valuable metric. He had a 5.2 fWAR. Holy good god... what planet is this?
weighted on base average ... listen to yourself! fwar! fwar is one group of persons that figures things the way they wish to figure them. they aren't REAL!
you must be a kid who has known this stuff in your brief time on earth so you think they're holy somehow. everyone has a different way to look at these probabilities/possibilities. there's nothing solid or sacred about them even owar and dwar. they're different depending on where you look. and don't get me started on the new crap that's introduced almost daily! you want to believe you're looking at rock solid stats that's your right. don't expect everyone else to fall in line with it.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doubling down time. after further thinking on the subject i no longer even think it's a decent pickup considering everything.

the more i look at this signing the more i think of dunn, laroche and frazier ... and it's why i still believe williams is at the heart of this acquisition. it's the same thinking we've seen in the recent past.
he's a poor fielding catcher most likely past his prime ( why did the dodgers remove him from the lineup two years ago in the playoffs? cause he was BAD!). he's a poor hitter who has pretty good power for a catcher. and we're paying him close to $19 Mil per season for 4 years? good god! you are all going to hate this signing when all is said and done and i doubt it'll take 4 years for you to realize it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we truly want this guy, the longer it goes, the worse our position will be...That is certainty. So yeah...Sooner the better.
I copied this one from Jiddy because his concern might be coming true. The longer there is no decision on Wheeler, the more it's looking like the price is being driven up, and perhaps to the point where it takes the Sox out of the running. I'm of course holding out hope, but the ol' gut is telling me to look elsewhere for our potential starting pitcher(s).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is just reporting that the Phillies will be signing Wheeler. No numbers yet, but they're expected to be large. Oh well, so much for the Good Guys getting him.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is just reporting that the Phillies will be signing Wheeler. No numbers yet, but they're expected to be large. Oh well, so much for the Good Guys getting him.

On to plan B. This was expected though...He cost too much.

Probably Keuchel and another B/C level pitcher, since our FO has stated they're looking for 2.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On to plan B. This was expected though...He cost too much.

Probably Keuchel and another B/C level pitcher, since our FO has stated they're looking for 2.

I stand corrected.

Damnit...The wife did us in.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...I guess it could be more money with the extra money dependent upon Reinsdorf hitting the powerball or something stupid like we did with Machado...Perhaps some bs damage control in this tweet.

idseer will let us know soon enough.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, assuming it's true that the Sox did offer more, I guess I can't whine about them coming up short when chasing after big name FAs. And truth be told, we all know damn well that there would have been TONS of bitching about us overpaying had we landed him at beyond the price he signed with the Phillies.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they’ll go after Strasburg now lololol

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care that they didn’t land him but embarrassing they released what they offered him to the media immediately. Good luck trying to negotiate with other free agent pitchers now

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care that they didn’t land him but embarrassing they released what they offered him to the media immediately. Good luck trying to negotiate with other free agent pitchers now

They've been getting lambasted for being cheap for years now so they were in pure damage control with that insta-release for sure. Only possible positive that can come out of this is they now feel forced to land one of the 2 big name pitchers to save face with all the "money will be spent" and "on to the next one" (after Grandal) balogna they spewed this past year. But yeah, that's extremely doubtful...They may kick the tires, but when the actual dollar amounts get tossed around...We out.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe this rumor as it makes a lot of sense for what we're trying to do and who we are.

A lot of above average players can add up to an A team if you do it right.
He signed with the Phillies.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, assuming it's true that the Sox did offer more, I guess I can't whine about them coming up short when chasing after big name FAs. And truth be told, we all know damn well that there would have been TONS of bitching about us overpaying had we landed him at beyond the price he signed with the Phillies.

Anyone that truly follows the Sox for the past decade would not shed a single tear for Reinsdorf parting with a little bit more money than usual. But you're right, everyone on the internet is a genius about how to perfectly price a player, so there would have been some touting all the different sub-category nerd stats and how they only quantified to XXX million...I blame the fat actor kid that got skinny (and thus unfunny) from Moneyball.