• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox plan to extend netting to foul poles

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans will now be safe on the south side of Chicago!

But as fans at the game are you wanting to look through a bunch of netting if sitting down near the field?

No more players diving into the stands for foul balls?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the netting is a must, they have to protect the fans looking at their phones the entire game from getting hurt.......

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the article it appears other stadiums are looking to make changes as well

White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf spearheaded the plan, sources told ESPN, and high-ranking officials from other teams expect it to have a cascading effect, with teams around the league pledging to extend netting.

One source with knowledge of installing netting believes other teams could retrofit their stadiums before the end of the 2019 season.

Players have been outspoken about increasing safety measures after multiple foul-ball injuries in recent weeks.

After a foul ball by Cubs center fielder Albert Almora Jr. injured a young girl in Houston, Chicago star Kris Bryant told ESPN every team should extend netting to the foul poles. "I think any safety measure we can take to make sure that the fans are safe, we should do it," he said.

Almora saluted the White Sox's move Tuesday.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But as fans at the game are you wanting to look through a bunch of netting if sitting down near the field?

easy solution.

put your fucking phone down, pay attention to the game and your kid.

we didnt see this before everyone had a smart phone did we?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think someone with their nose buried in their phone deserves a foul ball to the head. And if you don’t have fast enough reflexes to either catch the ball or get out of the way, maybe the upper deck would better fit you

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard that Washington will install nets during the all-star break

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy in the row in front of me at the Pirates game a few weeks ago took a shot to the knee of a slicing foul.

If those nets were up it would have deprived me of that humor.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched entire games through chain link fenced backstops at little league, high school and small college fields. I literally forget they're there.

I also am not necessarily a fan of this. However, the "obstructed view" argument is silly and forced.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why stop there? Why not surround the field completely with netting?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easy solution.

put your fucking phone down, pay attention to the game and your kid.

we didnt see this before everyone had a smart phone did we?
We didn’t have juiced baseball and the bats they use today either. You expects fans to stop foul balls when professional pitchers can’t even protect themselves from comebackers

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn’t have juiced baseball and the bats they use today either. You expects fans to stop foul balls when professional pitchers can’t even protect themselves from comebackers
ok. did you forget the rabbit ball of the 80's?

A History of the Juiced Ball in Major League Baseball

In the ’80s came the first real talk about the “juiced ball.” Back in 1987, home runs ticked up and the attention turned to the “rabbit ball,” or the nickname players used for how the ball used to jump off the bat. For example, six players hit 40 or more home runs during the entire decade and four of them came in the ’87 season. The number of players to hit 20 or more home runs ticked up that year as well, with 79 of them around baseball. Again for comparison, only 60 hit 20 or more home runs in 1986 and only 45 did it in 1988.

Bobby Bonds, who was 41 years old and retired in ’87, had this to say about the rabbit ball:

I’ve taken batting practice and I’ve hit those balls… I’ve hit the ball as far as I did when I was 25 years old. I’m not that strong. I hit balls really terrible and they go over the fence. When I was playing, I’d hit balls and say, “Oh my God,” and it didn’t go out. Now I hit balls and I say, “Oh my God,” and they clear the fence by 30 feet. All the tests can’t convince me. I don’t need tests on some machine. I go by contact.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched entire games through chain link fenced backstops at little league, high school and small college fields. I literally forget they're there.

I also am not necessarily a fan of this. However, the "obstructed view" argument is silly and forced.
Of course it is, especially since the most expensive seats are behind home plate and there has been fencing or netting there almost since the beginning .

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is, especially since the most expensive seats are behind home plate and there has been fencing or netting there almost since the beginning .

Well, I see your point. However, that has to do with the fact that there is literally zero time to react and defend yourself on a 95-100 MPH pitch fouled off straight back. The ball from the bat going straight back to that netting takes roughly the same time it does from the pitchers hand to the plate. Unless you are zoned in like a damn hockey goalie for every pitch (and have good reflexes) you are going to the hospital. lol

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the netting is a must, they have to protect the fans looking at their phones the entire game from getting hurt.......

I see what you did there!!

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I see your point. However, that has to do with the fact that there is literally zero time to react and defend yourself on a 95-100 MPH pitch fouled off straight back. The ball from the bat going straight back to that netting takes roughly the same time it does from the pitchers hand to the plate. Unless you are zoned in like a damn hockey goalie for every pitch (and have good reflexes) you are going to the hospital. lol
Netting is 90% air. The real loss is the players flipping the ball into stands after the third out. Kids in the first 20 rows no longer need to bring their gloves to the game. First four rows in the outfield will experience a price increase.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have a choice, sadly. People sue.