• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which QB will start in the first playoff game?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting question, in my opinion. Not at all clear cut to me which player is the right call. I can see plausible advantages going both directions. I do think it makes good sense, however, to keep secret who will start at QB.

What do you think? Will it be PFM or Oz who starts our first playoff game?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to guess after last game we go back to Peyton.

Might be one of those whoever has the hot hand. If Manning struggles go back to Os. Seems like each QB plays better after coming in for the other one. :

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's either Hoyer or Smith in the first playoff game. Depends on who wins the toss.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to guess after last game we go back to Peyton.

Might be one of those whoever has the hot hand. If Manning struggles go back to Os. Seems like each QB plays better after coming in for the other one. :

I told my son after the SD game that I was sure we would start Manning in the playoffs. After reading several comments about the possible value of having him available in relief, however, I'm not sure that Oz won't start.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we`ll find out soon enough when word gets out on practices. Who`s getting first crack at 1st team reps. That would be a clue. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think will happen: I think Manning will get the start. Listening to veteran players around the league talk they would be more excited about Manning starting with all of his experience.

What I wish would happen: I wish we would start Brock. Manning's greatest asset this last week was his mind being able to check into the right play and get the run play set up well. Beyond that I wasn't all that impressed with his passing. He looked very weak armed to me once again and we won't be going against a very banged up San Diego defense. I also think Brock has shown to be the best QB of the 2 this year. He has also proven to me that big games are not too big for him. He has shown up with some of his best games against some of the best teams in the league.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we`ll find out soon enough when word gets out on practices. Who`s getting first crack at 1st team reps. That would be a clue. :)

I really think it could be an advantage to keep secret which QB will start.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think will happen: I think Manning will get the start. Listening to veteran players around the league talk they would be more excited about Manning starting with all of his experience.

What I wish would happen: I wish we would start Brock. Manning's greatest asset this last week was his mind being able to check into the right play and get the run play set up well. Beyond that I wasn't all that impressed with his passing. He looked very weak armed to me once again and we won't be going against a very banged up San Diego defense. I also think Brock has shown to be the best QB of the 2 this year. He has also proven to me that big games are not too big for him. He has shown up with some of his best games against some of the best teams in the league.

Your argument for starting Oz is persuasive. I also feel like Oz is a better fit for how the coaching staff really wants to play offensively. Still hard to ignore, however, how much better the offense got (particularly the run game) when Manning came in against SD. Was that mere serendipity?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument for starting Oz is persuasive. I also feel like Oz is a better fit for how the coaching staff really wants to play offensively. Still hard to ignore, however, how much better the offense got (particularly the run game) when Manning came in against SD. Was that mere serendipity?

I think it was the run game was very close to being that all game long even before Manning came in. The Chargers were very thin on defense and were losing guys throughout the game. Essentially what we saw is what Kubiak wants in his offense of wearing the other team down to where in the 4th quarter you just have your way with them. I think we also saw that without the team fumbling after a couple of first downs they could really get into a nice rhythm on offense.

To me I look at beyond just 1 half of football. Since Brock became our starting QB we are averaging I think 137 yards rushing a game. That is good enough for 6th in the NFL. That is exactly what Kubiak has been wanting all year long but with Manning we were completely limited on what we could do on offense. I'm just afraid we are going to throw the complete timing of the OL off if we go back to Manning and we will once again have no run game when the game starts making us completely one dimensional and Manning when teams can pin their ears back and go after him panics and goes into the fetal position. Brock at least stands in there and will take the hits and protect the football more so than himself.

To me 1/2 of a football game where the QB did some but not a lot is not enough to cancel out the crap we saw from Manning for 9 games this season. We are in the league of what have you done for me lately and to me I think it could cause Kubiak to overpanic and stick Manning in when Osweiler is the better choice not only for this season but it could pay off huge in other seasons with him getting this kind of responsibility and trust from the coaching staff.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^This is where I'm at as well. I think there's a ton of pressure on Kubiak to start Manning. If the Broncos start Oz and lose, he'll be forever pegged as the ultimate goat that lost with a 5 time MVP on the bench. I also think Kubes respects Manning so much that he will give him one last ride. Peyton will be on a short leash, however.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^This is where I'm at as well. I think there's a ton of pressure on Kubiak to start Manning. If the Broncos start Oz and lose, he'll be forever pegged as the ultimate goat that lost with a 5 time MVP on the bench. I also think Kubes respects Manning so much that he will give him one last ride. Peyton will be on a short leash, however.

I really hope he is on a short leash. To me if the coaches see that his throws are weak and he has an early interception honestly I would be pulling him that fast. I mean I honestly cringe every time Manning drops back that he is either going to take a hard sack or throw an interception. I just really can't get past his first 9 games and I don't think he was hurt for all of them that lead to his horrendous numbers this year. I just have come to love what Brock brings to the table and I am excited about his future with the team. I just would rather that go ahead and start now as I really do think he has earned it with his play on the field. One bad half where everything that could go wrong did and most of it not being his fault was not enough to lose his job.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the questions is who do you think will start? Not who do you think should start? ;)

Listening to Troy Renck today (who I respect a lot going back to his years covering the Rockies - a very sold reporter, one w/o flash just substance) he brought up an interesting point. He said that the press and fans aren't in the locker room and don't see the respect that a 5 time MVP gets. His point was that if they were to lose in the playoffs with Manning on the bench, players would be really upset thinking that the guy who gave them the best chance to win was not playing. Also said that Kubiak, like all NFL coaches, values experience at QB above everything else.

So my answer to the question is that I think Manning will get the start.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was the run game was very close to being that all game long even before Manning came in. The Chargers were very thin on defense and were losing guys throughout the game. Essentially what we saw is what Kubiak wants in his offense of wearing the other team down to where in the 4th quarter you just have your way with them. I think we also saw that without the team fumbling after a couple of first downs they could really get into a nice rhythm on offense.

To me I look at beyond just 1 half of football. Since Brock became our starting QB we are averaging I think 137 yards rushing a game. That is good enough for 6th in the NFL. That is exactly what Kubiak has been wanting all year long but with Manning we were completely limited on what we could do on offense. I'm just afraid we are going to throw the complete timing of the OL off if we go back to Manning and we will once again have no run game when the game starts making us completely one dimensional and Manning when teams can pin their ears back and go after him panics and goes into the fetal position. Brock at least stands in there and will take the hits and protect the football more so than himself.

To me 1/2 of a football game where the QB did some but not a lot is not enough to cancel out the crap we saw from Manning for 9 games this season. We are in the league of what have you done for me lately and to me I think it could cause Kubiak to overpanic and stick Manning in when Osweiler is the better choice not only for this season but it could pay off huge in other seasons with him getting this kind of responsibility and trust from the coaching staff.

I agree, cd. I think Oz can lead/run the offense better for most, if not all, of the game. Additionally, I feel Manning is the better QB to come off of the bench and provide a spark, if needed. He's kind of like a really good 6th man coming off the bench in basketball right now. The team really seemed to get fired up and rally around him when he came in during the Charger game. It was good to see that by the way. And I don't think it's a slight against Oz either. I just think the team got fired up for the old man making one of his final curtain calls.

I love the fact that our next opponent will have to guess which QB to prepare for, or have to prepare for both. That is a huge advantage for us.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the questions is who do you think will start? Not who do you think should start? ;)

Listening to Troy Renck today (who I respect a lot going back to his years covering the Rockies - a very sold reporter, one w/o flash just substance) he brought up an interesting point. He said that the press and fans aren't in the locker room and don't see the respect that a 5 time MVP gets. His point was that if they were to lose in the playoffs with Manning on the bench, players would be really upset thinking that the guy who gave them the best chance to win was not playing. Also said that Kubiak, like all NFL coaches, values experience at QB above everything else.

So my answer to the question is that I think Manning will get the start.

Well I did say in my first post that I do think MANNING will be the starter but that who I would pick was different.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the thread question, I think Oz will start. It makes more sense.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List of pros for each option:

Peyton Manning the starter-
  • 18 years of experience and 24 playoff games plus 3 Superbowls
  • Maturity, professionalism, experience - coaches trust veterans more
  • Master of the no-huddle, fast pace offense
  • Fresh legs and arm after 7 weeks off in the middle of the season
  • Probably the best ever at reading defenses
  • Ability to change the play at the LOS and more autonomy from the coaching staff
  • Has mad respect from fellow players and coaches. "Win for Peyton" as a team motivator
  • Will play with an angry chip on his shoulder due to the events of this season (HGH included)
  • Longer history of timing with Broncos receivers
  • History of instilling fear in opposing defenses and keeps them guessing with LOS audibles
  • Better touch on the ball depending on the situation. Also, a history of legendary accuracy when on his game

Brock Osweiler the starter-
  • More mobile and athletic. Able to escape the pressure
  • Rocket arm that can thread the needle in small windows
  • Growing respect from his team mates for his achievements in 7 games as the starter and viewed as the future QB for the Broncos
  • Cool as a cucumber
  • Led the team in comeback victories against the Patriots and Bengals
  • Can work more under center and within stretch plays and QB bootlegs
  • Can take hits better due to a bad O-line and very good playoff defenses
  • Executes the Kubiak style of offense better in general
  • Less history for opposing teams to game plan against him
  • Better ball security than his predecessor (less picks to TD's)

I honestly think the Broncos can win with both quarterbacks but it's better to bring in Manning as the "spark/savior" as a backup than to bring in Osweiler because the future Hall of Famer has fallen flat again. Kubes is in a tough spot but I continue to believe that he'll start Manning.

Go Broncos!!

MH64

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice breakdown, MH64!

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
List of pros for each option:

Peyton Manning the starter-
  • 18 years of experience and 24 playoff games plus 3 Superbowls
  • Maturity, professionalism, experience - coaches trust veterans more
  • Master of the no-huddle, fast pace offense
  • Fresh legs and arm after 7 weeks off in the middle of the season
  • Probably the best ever at reading defenses
  • Ability to change the play at the LOS and more autonomy from the coaching staff
  • Has mad respect from fellow players and coaches. "Win for Peyton" as a team motivator
  • Will play with an angry chip on his shoulder due to the events of this season (HGH included)
  • Longer history of timing with Broncos receivers
  • History of instilling fear in opposing defenses and keeps them guessing with LOS audibles
  • Better touch on the ball depending on the situation. Also, a history of legendary accuracy when on his game

Brock Osweiler the starter-
  • More mobile and athletic. Able to escape the pressure
  • Rocket arm that can thread the needle in small windows
  • Growing respect from his team mates for his achievements in 7 games as the starter and viewed as the future QB for the Broncos
  • Cool as a cucumber
  • Led the team in comeback victories against the Patriots and Bengals
  • Can work more under center and within stretch plays and QB bootlegs
  • Can take hits better due to a bad O-line and very good playoff defenses
  • Executes the Kubiak style of offense better in general
  • Less history for opposing teams to game plan against him
  • Better ball security than his predecessor (less picks to TD's)

I honestly think the Broncos can win with both quarterbacks but it's better to bring in Manning as the "spark/savior" as a backup than to bring in Osweiler because the future Hall of Famer has fallen flat again. Kubes is in a tough spot but I continue to believe that he'll start Manning.

Go Broncos!!

MH64

I will second SS's comment. Very nice breakdown. I think you hit on all the key differences between the two.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What scares me,and Cd touched on it,was Mannings arm. I did think he had a tad more zip on those short throws over middle but on those out patterns, two of them were very close to being pick 6's. I don't trust his arm at all. Brock is the right start but I think the influence will affect Kubes decision and then if he starts Manning,he better not wait till he puts team in big hole before he pulls him. Please dear God let the running game be spectacular! And D of course. Oh and don't let Colquitt touch the football. ;)

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beginning with the salary reduction, Peyton has taken a lot of hits off the field in the past year, including the humiliating game vs KC and subsequent benching, and then the HGH report . .

I think this puts him in a completely different mindset compared to cruising into the playoffs with all kinds of offensive records ..

This is where I think he will summon whatever he has left physically, and take inspiration from the fact that he's been knocked around an awful lot - OFF the field ..

Peyton is a competitor like no other - and I think he's got 3 games left in his body to win it all, and ride out the way he wants .... A few short weeks ago, the reality of never stepping onto a field again was staring him square in the face - and now, he can go out on top ..

He gets it done