• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which city would be a good fit for another team?

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked, but couldn't find a similar thread to this.

What city/state you think would work out for another NFL team?

1. Vegas of course. We all know that they will be getting one possibly next year, but damn, what took so long?
2. Salt Lake City, Utah. Yea, its a heavy church city/state, but there are still a ton non Mormons out there that will still go to ever game(and Mormons will go to). I think it has a fighting chance there.
3. Portland Oregon. Why on earth do they not have one already?
4. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Big market to.

States that DO NOT need another NFL team - California, Texas, and Florida.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
London, Mexico City, Toronto.

Not a fan of it, but that's what the NFL wants...

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be cool with a team in Mexico or Canada, but I think a team in Europe would have a lot of trouble. I know I would not want to have a 7 hour flight for every away game.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked, but couldn't find a similar thread to this.

What city/state you think would work out for another NFL team?

1. Vegas of course. We all know that they will be getting one possibly next year, but damn, what took so long?
2. Salt Lake City, Utah. Yea, its a heavy church city/state, but there are still a ton non Mormons out there that will still go to ever game(and Mormons will go to). I think it has a fighting chance there.
3. Portland Oregon. Why on earth do they not have one already?
4. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Big market to.

States that DO NOT need another NFL team - California, Texas, and Florida.

I'd like Memphis, Toronto, or OKC honestly. I think any of them would be fine. Portland and Vegas sure.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Toronto shouldn't happen.

That's Buffalos territory. And the Bills don't need to move there.

I like the games in London tbh. Not sure they need to have a team of their own though. It's a sideshow gimmick there. The UK will never really care about American Football imo.

Id say Saint Louis.

Hate the Vegas option, slope is too slippery for my liking.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the games in London tbh. Not sure they need to have a team of their own though. It's a sideshow gimmick there. The UK will never really care about American Football imo.

Well the thing about the UK and Europe is it doesn't have to be a major sport. Heck year after year people say "it's a gimmick" and year after year the NFL expands the number of games and they sell out even quicker (seriuosly the Jaguars last year had the quickest sell out in the UK ever).

There's like 9 million people that live in and around London. This isn't like they are fighting for every fan in Green Bay. They can draw 1/10th the fans as a sideshow and be as well off.

I agree that maybe having a team of their own can wait. Right now the NFL is putting 4 games there, which is half a seasons worth. They've established a strong Jags fan base there. Keep that up. NFL is BOOMING in the UK. TV viewers, fans, etc. They've gone from showing on sky sports once a week, to the BBC buying a 2 year agreement and multiple shows and games every week. I'm not going to pretend to know what the UK wants to watch more than the BBC and say that they are wrong.

Then, when we've got a much better grip on supersonic travel start thinking of moving a team there. If you have to adjust caps for the UK team to keep them more competitive, so be it. But there's 3/4 of a billion people in Europe. So what if you become their 5th favorite sport and have a couple teams there that split seasons in 2 stadiums. That's a massive potential market.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mexico City is a terrible idea. They don't speak English and the government is a puppet for drug cartels.

Agree, would be a great business move if it wasn't for the cartels and crime issues though. But jeez that would be perfect otherwise. Bigger market than NYC, and close enough to travel to.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, would be a great business move if it wasn't for the cartels and crime issues though. But jeez that would be perfect otherwise. Bigger market than NYC, and close enough to travel to.

What? No. Just because your population is bigger, doesn't mean you're a bigger market. Mexico City's fandom of football won't sniff the ass of football passion in any American City, let alone NYC.

Is Jacksonville a bigger market than Boston? Just because they have a larger population? Hell no

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the thing about the UK and Europe is it doesn't have to be a major sport. Heck year after year people say "it's a gimmick" and year after year the NFL expands the number of games and they sell out even quicker (seriuosly the Jaguars last year had the quickest sell out in the UK ever).

There's like 9 million people that live in and around London. This isn't like they are fighting for every fan in Green Bay. They can draw 1/10th the fans as a sideshow and be as well off.

I agree that maybe having a team of their own can wait. Right now the NFL is putting 4 games there, which is half a seasons worth. They've established a strong Jags fan base there. Keep that up. NFL is BOOMING in the UK. TV viewers, fans, etc. They've gone from showing on sky sports once a week, to the BBC buying a 2 year agreement and multiple shows and games every week. I'm not going to pretend to know what the UK wants to watch more than the BBC and say that they are wrong.

Then, when we've got a much better grip on supersonic travel start thinking of moving a team there. If you have to adjust caps for the UK team to keep them more competitive, so be it. But there's 3/4 of a billion people in Europe. So what if you become their 5th favorite sport and have a couple teams there that split seasons in 2 stadiums. That's a massive potential market.
I don't think attendence makes a bit of difference tbh. It's a drop in the bucket. The NFL has seemed to prefer new luxurious stadiums be smaller in recent years. (The Jerruh Dome being a huge outlier.). And that goes with the attendence doesn't matter angle.

Broadcasting money destroys what can be made from in house viewership.

London games do draw crowds. And most likely it's a vast majority of British "fans" buying them. (Twice we've planned to go over and watch the Lions, just hasn't worked out. Good excuse to go, I love London in general.). But I don't see it ever becoming a sport there that will supply athletes to the game (at the professional level, or at a high level in the amateur ranks either.)

Soccer
Rugby
Tennis
Golf
Cricket
Boxing
Prolly MMA
Most likely Basketball
Possibly Hockey
Maybe Aussie rules football

Just don't see American Football being more than a show at the NFL level. And that shouldn't warrant a full time home team. To me.

(Still don't understand why The Concord is no longer a thing. That flight would be no big deal. Boston, NY, Philly, Buffalo,Baltimore and DC really aren't that bad even without the high speed flight imo.)

Is mainland Europe interested in British sporting events in general? I have no idea. Just seems like the language barrier and cultural difference already seperate sporting interests quite a bit. (Aside from futbol.)I could be completely wrong, idk.

Mexico City wouldn't bother me. Hard to see the Cowboys letting that happen though.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the NFL can show it can play 4 games there and sell out like crazy and get the growth that it's been having in the UK, I don't see why they wouldn't want to put a team there if they could get past the travel times in another 10 years or so. Figure then you'd have 20 years of growth and showing a half season or more. You've got half a season right there. Do the other half in Germany or Paris or even just up the road in Manchester.

And absolutely population matters. Again it doesn't have to sniff the fandom here. You have to get lots of fans in small markets in the US to support. I remember Khan saying last year something about the Jags sponsorship money going up 30% and most of that was from the UK.

And you talk about how new stadiums using the new method of the coorporate luxury boxes. London is the business capital of Europe.

The US market is getting tapped out. The NFL has pushed it's expansion to women, and via Fantasy football is found new fans as well. But look at China. Doesn't matter that Basketball was nothing 20+ years ago. Doesn't matter that their level of fandom is nowhere near here. Over half the spending on NBA.com comes from there. A small slice of a billion person market is huge.

Honestly 10 years ago I thought it would be a joke, it would be a gimmick, it would be short lived, it would fail just like the NFL Europe.

10 years later they've quadrupled the number of games and are selling them out even quicker. Viewership of NFL games has doubled there in less than 10 years... That's a 64 million person market. Unless you think that the NFL is a bad game that won't interest people (I've never understood how die hard fans of the game can think it's such a shitty game that no one else will like it), which the numbers say isn't true, then keep pushing it there. If at some point instead of massive growth you top off or decline, then re-think it. Not like moving a franchise back would be that costly to the league.

As for it supplying players to the NFL, probably not a lot. I can only think of non-kicker guys like Shianco, Osi Umenyiora, Dominique Foxworth, and the Dolphin backs... Ayaji and Sammy Morris. I'd doubt if there's more than a dozen guys in the NFL that grew up in the UK. I know that there was a report that amateur football has been growing well in the UK, but to me, I think there will have to be other means. Kickers/punters maybe from Soccer. Maybe guys that try the Stephen Neal way through other sports like wrestling or rugby. Maybe players that get into US colleges...

But even as popular as Yao was in the US he was no Kobe in China. I can think of 3 players in the NBA in the past 20 years from Asia. I bet the NFL's had over 100 from Europe in that time.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. London
2. St Louis
3. Portland

Thats probably it

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mexico City Broncos (caballos?) has a ring.
Highest proportion of Latinos in US
High elevation would be like Mile High
Sanchez would be a God there.....

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Richmond/Va Beach

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I vote for Cleveland..............they could certainly use a real team

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody ever says Wyoming

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Canada off the table? Toronto or Vancouver maybe?