• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Backup QB do we pick?

Who do we pick as our backup QB?

• Aaron Murray

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • AJ McCarron

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Zach Mettenberger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Savage

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Tajh Boyd

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Logan Thomas

• James Franklin

• Other potential draft pick(name him below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We choose one in FA(name him below)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious with Shaun Hill gone that we need a capable backup in the rare instances that Stafford may be injured for a short time. Since we have two 4th round picks and zero 5th round picks, I think we need to use one of those on a backup QB. That'll give us potentially 4 picks(unless we trade up or down) to use on positions of need(using BPA of course) which will enable us to use the 5th pick of the 5 we have in the first 4 rounds to use on a QB.

My first choice would be Aaron Murray. He's gotten the reputation of not stepping up in big games, but I think he did a good job of that this past season. He's played in the same system as Stafford and has plenty of experience that can only help make the transition to the NFL easier. Plus I would think Stafford and he could form a strong bond/mentoring relationship since they came from the same school.

My second choice would be AJ McCarron. He's in the same boat as Murray, but he doesn't have as strong of an arm, IMO, as Murray. Big game experience and can keep our team in games by not making huge mistakes.

I don't think Mettenberger will be there for us in the 4th, so I didn't include him in my choices. If you think he will be, explain why you'd take him.

So......who do we pick as our backup QB??

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Mccarron so we can bring Kathryn Webb to the D

christian-ponders-girlfriend-kacie-mcdonnell-thesportsmonkey.jpg

I'd say Aaron's chick ain't bad.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Murray will probably drop hard. If he manages to slip to the fourth, he would be my guy. If not, get a vet.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Murray will probably drop hard. If he manages to slip to the fourth, he would be my guy. If not, get a vet.

He's projected to go around the 4th anyway. Is that really "dropping hard"?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's projected to go around the 4th anyway. Is that really "dropping hard"?

Point being if he had not gotten hurt he would probably being going second round at the latest. So, yea, I think he will drop hard based on his talent.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda a loaded question........all those guys have different projections..........what round u looking at? someone like mettenburger may still go in the 2nd? do you wanna use ur 2nd on him? or tom savage that u can get likely in the 6-7th or FA

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda a loaded question........all those guys have different projections..........what round u looking at? someone like mettenburger may still go in the 2nd? do you wanna use ur 2nd on him? or tom savage that u can get likely in the 6-7th or FA

I initially stated I would like to see us use one of our 4ths for a backup.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did state that, and i read the post! good for me.

In that case......i dont think mettenberger last till 4

Boyd, thomas are roller coasters with upside galore

savage and franklin can be had later in the draft

that leaves me with murray or mcarron, and im torn between the two but probably AJ

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Freeman to a vet minimum deal and use the pick on a safety or LB or DE project instead.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious with Shaun Hill gone that we need a capable backup in the rare instances that Stafford may be injured for a short time. Since we have two 4th round picks and zero 5th round picks, I think we need to use one of those on a backup QB. That'll give us potentially 4 picks(unless we trade up or down) to use on positions of need(using BPA of course) which will enable us to use the 5th pick of the 5 we have in the first 4 rounds to use on a QB.

My first choice would be Aaron Murray. He's gotten the reputation of not stepping up in big games, but I think he did a good job of that this past season. He's played in the same system as Stafford and has plenty of experience that can only help make the transition to the NFL easier. Plus I would think Stafford and he could form a strong bond/mentoring relationship since they came from the same school.

My second choice would be AJ McCarron. He's in the same boat as Murray, but he doesn't have as strong of an arm, IMO, as Murray. Big game experience and can keep our team in games by not making huge mistakes.

I don't think Mettenberger will be there for us in the 4th, so I didn't include him in my choices. If you think he will be, explain why you'd take him.

So......who do we pick as our backup QB??
3 fourth round picks... Just sayin'...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Savage late if they pick QB. Wouldn't mind vet min deal. Lions are most likely screwed in any scenario of backup QB playing. I would rather use those three 4th round picks to get much needed players with potential for other side of field.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions are most likely screwed in any scenario of backup QB playing
I disagree. If Stafford suffers a minor injury, a capable backup could win us a game or two. That's why it's important to have one that isn't 42 years old or doesn't run out of the end zone.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would freeman want a vet minimum deal tho? And does he want to be a backup

I don't think he has a whole lot of options at the moment. At some point he has to take what is being offered, or look for other work...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dan-orlovsky.jpg

Awareness rating = 0