• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where was this defense all year?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is going to deny we need a safety, but if a QB has all day to throw the ball, he will find an open guy no matter how good your secondary is. If a QB has defenders in his face, he doesn't have time to scan the entire field to find the open guy. If you do not think the D-line can make a secondary better, then you don't understand football. This team needs D-lineman first, we will lose Hatcher, and possibly Ware and Spencer in this offseason. If we don't get some decent pass rushers in this draft, you haven't seen bad yet. Also, this isn't going to happen in one draft and could take a couple of years to fix. I just hope they fix it before the O-line gets to old.
I couldn't agree more. My sediments exactly. Amen. :agree:

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly why Football is the ultimate team game. The greatest corner in history of the NFL could not cover a practice squad WR for 6 seconds on 30 pass plays a game and a practice squad CB could run stride for stride with the greatest WRs of all time if they only had to do so for a second or two. Pressure and coverage are as closely related as any two things in Football. Now that being said, I'm not conviced we need DL more than we need a safety, but let's just say we need a lot of help in both areas...
IMHO opinion we are more desperate need of a D-line.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is going to deny we need a safety, but if a QB has all day to throw the ball, he will find an open guy no matter how good your secondary is. If a QB has defenders in his face, he doesn't have time to scan the entire field to find the open guy. If you do not think the D-line can make a secondary better, then you don't understand football. This team needs D-lineman first, we will lose Hatcher, and possibly Ware and Spencer in this offseason. If we don't get some decent pass rushers in this draft, you haven't seen bad yet. Also, this isn't going to happen in one draft and could take a couple of years to fix. I just hope they fix it before the O-line gets to old.

And I don't think anyone is denying the need for a better DL. But with our current safeties even when they were in position they still couldn't make a play on the ball. Besides take in account we used 20 DLmen this year. I'm not saying we are fine at DL but if not for the unreal amount of injuries maybe it was going to be a good line. You cannot discount the need for S upgrade. I put DT as the#1 need but S is not too far behind. If we reach for a DL when there is a S there we made a mistake. We need to take the best out of either DL, S, or G available.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't think anyone is denying the need for a better DL. But with our current safeties even when they were in position they still couldn't make a play on the ball. Besides take in account we used 20 DLmen this year. I'm not saying we are fine at DL but if not for the unreal amount of injuries maybe it was going to be a good line. You cannot discount the need for S upgrade. I put DT as the#1 need but S is not too far behind. If we reach for a DL when there is a S there we made a mistake. We need to take the best out of either DL, S, or G available.

I totally agree with this. I love going best overall player available in the draft, but with our cap situation where it is, taking the best S and DT available almost becomes necessity.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you are considered by most that know you to be the dumbest poster on a message board.

The version of the Tampa two RELIES on the front 4 creating pressure.

Now walking into this season the coaches as well as all of us thought we would have Ware Hatcher Ratliff and Spencer on the field at the same time. With Crawford in the mix.

No one planned or even considered Jay quitting on the team. Spencer wouldn't have been tagged to not play a down. And the guy we expected to come in and play well Crawford hurt before the first game.

If you expect any coach to come in and work with what we had on the D-line and create something special...... You are flat out STUPID. End of fucking discussion.
What is even dumber if that is possible us to think switching systems AGAIN for a 3rd straight year ... will make your defense any better.

Hey, that's not fair. I thought I was the dumbest poster and totally football clueless. :lol:

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying Saftey isn't an issue, I know it is. Maybe without injuries the line would have been good, but we are losing Hatcher, more than likely Ware and Spencer. With them gone we are super thin at DL. Outside of a couple games this season, Opposing QBs had time to make a sandwhich before throwing the ball. It was awful and not hard to find someone open when you have that long to throw. Sure if we pick and for some reason there is an all world Saftey and not so great DL, you should maybe take the Saftey, but won't do any good if we can't rush the QB. At the same time, if you understand all these holes won't be fixed in one draft, it makes since to take the Saftey.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this defense. I really would not mind if we somehow got aaron donanld in the 2nd round. He would go a long way towards changing the culture of our soft defense. This kid is extremely violent and smacks people in the mouth. He has an insane motor. Very quick off the line. Could probably play inside or outside. Heck he looks like a 1st rounder to me. He is an animal

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this defense. I really would not mind if we somehow got aaron donanld in the 2nd round. He would go a long way towards changing the culture of our soft defense. This kid is extremely violent and smacks people in the mouth. He has an insane motor. Very quick off the line. Could probably play inside or outside. Heck he looks like a 1st rounder to me. He is an animal
In the end it won't matter who we draft. We will suck again next year.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See I knew you could talk football when you wanted to.

Hell of a player. If he were bigger he would go first round.

Right now late second if a team reaches most likely a 3rd rounder though. He would be a perfect fit for a 3-4 4-3 hybrid defense

Aaron Donald, DE/DT/OLB, Pittsburgh
Height: 6-0. Weight: 285.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.
12/14/13: If Donald were bigger, he would be the top-rated tackle and a high first-round pick. Donald was phenomenal in 2013. In Pittsburgh's first game, he had a sack and came close to a few others against a good Florida State offensive line. Donald picked up five tackles, four tackles for a loss and two sacks against New Mexico. He had a multi-sack games against Virginia Tech, New Mexico and Virginia. Donald is one of the nation's leaders with 10 sacks. He also has 54 tackles with 26.5 tackles for a loss, two passes batted and three forced fumbles.

Donald's interior pass-rush ability is in high demand in the NFL. The senior may not have the size to warrant a first-round pick, but he is having the senior year performance that could warrant him being taken with a second-day pick.

btw it's not his weight ... it's his height that is gonna screw him in this draft

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure he will go 3rd though .... at 6'0 he wont bat down any passes in the nfl .... or throw his hands up and disrupt a 6'4 + Qb either

A guy you want on your team ..... Not a NFL starter though

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure he will go 3rd though .... at 6'0 he wont bat down any passes in the nfl .... or throw his hands up and disrupt a 6'4 + Qb either

A guy you want on your team ..... Not a NFL starter though

In the 3rd round, I'd go the opposite end of the spectrum from 6'0''. The DT out of Tennessee that is 6'8'' and 360 could be a monster at DT. Ideal Draft for me would be S Dix in the 1st, 3T Jernigan in the 2nd, and this kid, McClullers I believe in the 3rd

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Saftey isn't an issue, I know it is. Maybe without injuries the line would have been good, but we are losing Hatcher, more than likely Ware and Spencer. With them gone we are super thin at DL. Outside of a couple games this season, Opposing QBs had time to make a sandwhich before throwing the ball. It was awful and not hard to find someone open when you have that long to throw. Sure if we pick and for some reason there is an all world Saftey and not so great DL, you should maybe take the Saftey, but won't do any good if we can't rush the QB. At the same time, if you understand all these holes won't be fixed in one draft, it makes since to take the Saftey.

A great Safety can really set a defense off. I think of Ed Reed with the Ravens, Troy P with the Steelers, and closer to home, Darren Woodson with the Cowboys. I'd love to see us find a stud for the back end

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end it won't matter who we draft. We will suck again next year.

If you really think we will suck next year already why don't you give up talking about the team. Now this is just me, but you sure do sound like a skids fan trolling along.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you really think we will suck next year already why don't you give up talking about the team. Now this is just me, but you sure do sound like a skids fan trolling along.
Actually I think we are going to be bad for quite some time. After a 43 year investment I feel I have earned the right to be critical of my team when I see fit.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I think we are going to be bad for quite some time. After a 43 year investment I feel I have earned the right to be critical of my team when I see fit.

Things look bad right now, but the drafts the last 5 years have been better than the previous 5. If Jerry can show a little more restraint and just go with his scouts come draft time, we will be alright

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things look bad right now, but the drafts the last 5 years have been better than the previous 5. If Jerry can show a little more restraint and just go with his scouts come draft time, we will be alright
I disagree. The only unit that looks good right now is the Offense. Get rid of Austin and his contract first of all. Use it to get another stud O-lineman, keep murray healthy and the offense looks mighty fine if we can get a receiver to take some pressure and double teams off Dez and Witten.
The rest of the organization is in total caos.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The only unit that looks good right now is the Offense. Get rid of Austin and his contract first of all. Use it to get another stud O-lineman, keep murray healthy and the offense looks mighty fine if we can get a receiver to take some pressure and double teams off Dez and Witten.
The rest of the organization is in total caos.

I would say that the biggest thing Dallas needs is ONE freaking year where we stay fairly healthy. I agree with you on adding another OL, maybe in the 3rd or 4th, and if we're healthy, the offense will score points. I would say that if our defense could stay healthy across the board, and we were to have a solid draft, they could be a solid unit

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the biggest thing Dallas needs is ONE freaking year where we stay fairly healthy. I agree with you on adding another OL, maybe in the 3rd or 4th, and if we're healthy, the offense will score points. I would say that if our defense could stay healthy across the board, and we were to have a solid draft, they could be a solid unit

Stop making sense. You'll confuse some people.