• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where was this defense all year?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the biggest thing Dallas needs is ONE freaking year where we stay fairly healthy. I agree with you on adding another OL, maybe in the 3rd or 4th, and if we're healthy, the offense will score points. I would say that if our defense could stay healthy across the board, and we were to have a solid draft, they could be a solid unit
It will take at least 3 years of drafting the right way before we become relevant on defense. Not only do we need starters, but depth as well.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 3rd round, I'd go the opposite end of the spectrum from 6'0''. The DT out of Tennessee that is 6'8'' and 360 could be a monster at DT. Ideal Draft for me would be S Dix in the 1st, 3T Jernigan in the 2nd, and this kid, McClullers I believe in the 3rd

I'm not high on him at all

Rated as the #12 th best coming out and will likely drop down farther after the combine

Daniel McCullers*, DT, Tennessee
Height: 6-8. Weight: 360.
Projected 40 Time: 5.45.
Projected Round (2014): 2-4.
12/14/13: The senior had 33 tackles with 4.5 tackles for a loss, one pass batted and .5 sacks in 2013. He wasn't as good as expected, but played better against Georgia and Florida than he did versus Oregon. McCullers will play in the Senior Bowl.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really love Clinton-Dix out of this draft ... and it's possible he is there for us.

Rams need a safety though. and with two picks in the first and likely trading down and picking up more. I dont think the odds are in our favor for him making it past the Rams

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really love Clinton-Dix out of this draft ... and it's possible he is there for us.

+1 What you know bout Ha-Ha? :laugh3:

#Roll Tide!!!!!

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

+1 What you know bout Ha-Ha? :laugh3:

#Roll Tide!!!!!

best safety in this draft. and one hella play maker .... The exact type ball hawk safety we need

Haha Clinton-Dix*, S, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 209.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.
12/21/13: Clinton-Dix has 45 tackles, two interceptions and four passes broken up this year. He played well against Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, LSU and Mississippi State. Clinton-Dix was suspended for two games for taking a loan from an assistant, but Nick Saban reinstated him before the games against Arkansas. Clinton-Dix didn't have his best game against Auburn as he got caught on a few misdirection runs.

Clinton-Dix did some damage to his draft stock when he landed that then-indefinite suspension for taking a loan from an Alabama assistant. A week before his suspension, Clinton-Dix was excellent against Ole Miss in deep coverage on the Rebels' talented wide receivers. He had eight tackles and was very active.

add in this ... with his height .... no one will be crying like they are over Heath having receivers jump over him

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rams need a safety though. and with two picks in the first and likely trading down and picking up more. I dont think the odds are in our favor for him making it past the Rams

I agree that Dix will be gone. There should be quality DT's available though

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Saftey isn't an issue, I know it is. Maybe without injuries the line would have been good, but we are losing Hatcher, more than likely Ware and Spencer. With them gone we are super thin at DL. Outside of a couple games this season, Opposing QBs had time to make a sandwhich before throwing the ball. It was awful and not hard to find someone open when you have that long to throw. Sure if we pick and for some reason there is an all world Saftey and not so great DL, you should maybe take the Saftey, but won't do any good if we can't rush the QB. At the same time, if you understand all these holes won't be fixed in one draft, it makes since to take the Saftey.

There is no way Jerry lets all three of Ware, Hatcher and Spencer go IMO. So we likely keep at least one of them and we add Crawford as a likely starter. I think we saw a couple guys this year that could be decent backups - Selvie is under contract and played very well while Ware was healthy. We should be able to find a one technique very easily or even stay with Hayden as the position doesn't need to dominate if the others are doing their jobs. So it's not like we need to draft 3 starting DL IMO.

We need 4 starters. Lets say we get a possible starter in the first or second round. Add to that Hayden or another relatively cheap one technique as #2, one of Ware, Spencer or Hatcher as #3 and crawford as #4. Then if we end up keeping another of Ware, Spencer and Hatcher you have #5 by moving one of the aforementioned back a notch. Now I'm not saying keeping two of the big 3 is the most likely scenario, but I do think it is MORE likely than keeping none of the 3 because if we cut Ware I think that is done with the intention Of keeping one of the other two.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better buckle up cause Ware ain't going anywhere....hatcher & spencer are outta here but ware won't be IMO

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better buckle up cause Ware ain't going anywhere....hatcher & spencer are outta here but ware won't be IMO

I'm with you ....

Even if I was like a certain poster that hates Ware ....

No way .... you walk into a draft needing 3 D-line starters.

If we are really lucky ..... we get 2 DTs that can start

Im not worried about Spencer leaving .... I'm real high on Crawford

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100% agree here. Besides if Ware and the rest of the DL remains healthy Ware WILL be back to a double digit sack player.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love DWare, and I never thought Jerry would let him go, but it's all going to come down to what he's willing to do on his contract. He has stated he won't take a pay cut. If that is the case, I think there is the very real possibility he's a June one cut because it takes $7 million off the books. If we only restructure him this year, not only does it take up even more cap space for an even older Ware going forward, but it may be the difference in us keeping Murray or Dez next year

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he doesn't agree to a pay cut, he very well could be cut. If they restructure his deal and back load more money it could be disastrous down the road. Mike Fisher said he would not be surprised to see him cut if he doesn't agree to a pay cut. Hatcher is gone, they will not have the money to give him what he wants. I could see Spencer back if he takes a one year deal on the cheap. I loved Ware as a player, but he isn't the player he once was.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really a team dumb enough to give hatcher the deal he is looking for? Hatcher is over 30. I don't see many teams giving him a max contract. The same goes for Spencer at his age and the knee issue. Ware needs to take a pay cut or get cut IMO. Older players get injured more frequently.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree jinx. I don't see Ware staying healthy enough to get 10 sacks. After 4 games this season Ware already had numerous injuries and was no longer effective. If you look back at the 2012 season he was not effective after the midway point. He has been a great player for us,but I think he is way past his prime and he is not worth it at that much money

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing everyone say give Spencer a 1 yr deal. Also hear people talking of his age.

Which raises this question.
With taking his own age into consideration. Why in the hell would he take a 1 yr deal? He knows this may be his last decent contract. he will be looking for a multi year deal & wont settle for less. it is absurd to think he will go for a 1 yr deal with the cowboys. Spencer has raped us long enough. Spencer is gone!

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing everyone say give Spencer a 1 yr deal. Also hear people talking of his age.

Which raises this question.
With taking his own age into consideration. Why in the hell would he take a 1 yr deal? He knows this may be his last decent contract. he will be looking for a multi year deal & wont settle for less. it is absurd to think he will go for a 1 yr deal with the cowboys. Spencer has raped us long enough. Spencer is gone!

He missed the entire season, what owner is going to give him a long term deal? Who knows if he will even be the same player, I know if I were an owner he wouldn't get a long term deal until he proved he could still play.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He missed the entire season, what owner is going to give him a long term deal? Who knows if he will even be the same player, I know if I were an owner he wouldn't get a long term deal until he proved he could still play.

I agree with all that. But in this NFL I bet he gets a 3 or so year deal by someone.

you got to look at it from him & his agents point of view. No way he signs a 1 yr deal with the boys. If he signs a 1 yr deal it will be in desperation & by that time the Cowboys would have already moved on.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really a team dumb enough to give hatcher the deal he is looking for? Hatcher is over 30. I don't see many teams giving him a max contract. The same goes for Spencer at his age and the knee issue. Ware needs to take a pay cut or get cut IMO. Older players get injured more frequently.

That has the Snyder written all over it, they have money to burn again....