• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where was this defense all year?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night the defense played their hearts out. Did they play over their heads, or did they actually play to their potential? 5 sacks, was in Foles face all night, had one forced grounding call and should have been at least 3. Allowed the number 2 offense just 24 points, only 7 in the second half, forced one fumble and had a goal line stand. I thought they played well enough to win, and the offense does what it seems to always do in big games.....CHOKE. Is it the coaching staff who just couldn't get the best of this defense, or are they really as bad as they looked all season.
All you have to do is watch the games. Wow. The signs were there in week 1 despite almost choking to the giants. We have no talent outside 4 or 5 players and the whole scheme and coaching staff are horrendous.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is watch the games. Wow. The signs were there in week 1 despite almost choking to the giants. We have no talent outside 4 or 5 players and the whole scheme and coaching staff are horrendous.

The Saints defense was horrendous last season setting a record for bad that we almost matched. They had the same players this season pretty much but changed DC and finished 4th. Injuries played a key roll in just how bad we were this season. I wished just one season we could stay heathy.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints defense was horrendous last season setting a record for bad that we almost matched. They had the same players this season pretty much but changed DC and finished 4th. Injuries played a key roll in just how bad we were this season. I wished just one season we could stay heathy.
Saints had a horrible all around bad year last year. Peyton was suspended and some of the players. Injuries and no talent on defense is the reason why our team was the worse in our history since 1964.

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they will , but the Saints defense was the worst in the league last season. They may have picked up a player or two, but was still overall the same players. Ryan took them from dead last to a very respectable defense.
Let's not forget that they got Payton back as well. That lifted the whole team.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that they got Payton back as well. That lifted the whole team.

They had Payton in 2011, and still finished 24th in total defense. In 2012 Dallas was 19th in total defense under Rob Ryan with pretty much the same players and a shit load of injuries, then with Kiffen, they drop to 32nd in just one season. Yes they were bad, but some of that was Kiffen.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. In 2012 Dallas was 19th in total defense under Rob Ryan with pretty much the same players and a shit load of injuries, then with Kiffen, they drop to 32nd in just one season. Yes they were bad, but some of that was Kiffen.

I can't agree with this because I've seen it too many time.

When Parcells came here we have a top 5 defense. When he made the switch to 3-4 we dropped to 30th.
The Skins had a top defense .... When they switched to 3-4 took the same nose dive
When the Pats made the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 same nose dive.

And we are talking top 1/3 of the league defense take that nose dive .... What did anyone expect would happen when you take a shitty defense and make that change? Wasn't but so many spots to fall tobe last.

I do absolutely think it wouldn't have been that bad had we not had all the injuries on D-line. Hell we were playing with guys that were sitting at home eating chips watching the games like we were week one of the season.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I do absolutely think it wouldn't have been that bad had we not had all the injuries on D-line. Hell we were playing with guys that were sitting at home eating chips watching the games like we were week one of the season"

I completely agree with this. That's not to say this group woulda been top 5 but they wouldn't of been top 3 all time in yards allowed. Excuse or no excuse, that has to factor. With that said, if Marinelli wants kiffen as a consultant....fine, just watch this defense next year with some health improve greatly. Marinelli gets more outta his players than Ryan and remains far and away the best Dcord for Dallas

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell we were playing with guys that were sitting at home eating chips watching the games like we were week one of the season.

lol...very true

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more problems than just Dline. They got decent pressure on Foles and the Cowboys safeties were horrible. Heath was awful in that game.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more problems than just Dline. They got decent pressure on Foles and the Cowboys safeties were horrible. Heath was awful in that game.

Heath is a special teams player that lasts 2-3 seasons in the league. When he's your starter, you're in a bind

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't agree with this because I've seen it too many time.

When Parcells came here we have a top 5 defense. When he made the switch to 3-4 we dropped to 30th.
The Skins had a top defense .... When they switched to 3-4 took the same nose dive
When the Pats made the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 same nose dive.

And we are talking top 1/3 of the league defense take that nose dive .... What did anyone expect would happen when you take a shitty defense and make that change? Wasn't but so many spots to fall tobe last.

I do absolutely think it wouldn't have been that bad had we not had all the injuries on D-line. Hell we were playing with guys that were sitting at home eating chips watching the games like we were week one of the season.

True tw1st3d I did overlook that fact, but at the same time, I don't believe we are dead last if we could have stayed healthy. We had the same problem last year as well. I believe it was Ware who said when he went to team meetings last season he didn't even know some of the players names, it was like playing with a bunch of strangers. It just seemed funny to me that they seemed to be more focused in week 17 against Philly and played a decent game. Maybe it was Foles not having the big game experience, but they pressured him all night.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point Jerrah needs to realize his players are not capable of playing tamp 2 zone. Marinelli is. A great dl coach,but does not help the linebackers or secondary play zone. Hire coaches from seahawks and jettison kiffin and marinelli

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point Jerrah needs to realize his players are not capable of playing tamp 2 zone. Marinelli is. A great dl coach,but does not help the linebackers or secondary play zone. Hire coaches from seahawks and jettison kiffin and marinelli

This is why you are considered by most that know you to be the dumbest poster on a message board.

The version of the Tampa two RELIES on the front 4 creating pressure.

Now walking into this season the coaches as well as all of us thought we would have Ware Hatcher Ratliff and Spencer on the field at the same time. With Crawford in the mix.

No one planned or even considered Jay quitting on the team. Spencer wouldn't have been tagged to not play a down. And the guy we expected to come in and play well Crawford hurt before the first game.

If you expect any coach to come in and work with what we had on the D-line and create something special...... You are flat out STUPID. End of fucking discussion.
What is even dumber if that is possible us to think switching systems AGAIN for a 3rd straight year ... will make your defense any better.

Now our defensive coaches we brought in .... No way they walk into this draft thinking they have enough talent on the defensive line. Give them a chance to fix the problem.

Did you see the drop off Chicago's defense took without Rod? If you think he isn't a hell of a coach ..... Strike three another dumb ass statement

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod did wonders with the hand he was dealt on the DL. How exactly does Rod help the linebackers and secondary play zone and cover people? Like I said before numnutz: the players we have do not fit the scheme.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New players possibly fix this mess. Holloman showed some ability. The safety position is a joke. We need a woodson type safety in the worst way

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod did wonders with the hand he was dealt on the DL. How exactly does Rod help the linebackers and secondary play zone and cover people? Like I said before numnutz: the players we have do not fit the scheme.

No what you said before was go hire one of seattle's coaches to run the defense

HOW DUMB do you have to be to read 100 times on here YOU CANT DO THAT.

Garrett isn't getting fired. So no way you can bring in any coach that is under contract from ANY TEAM.

But you wont get that through your thick skull.

And if you have half a brain rather than make dumbshit post constantly trying to seek attention you would spend as much time learning about your own team as you did crying about it.

Rod didn't do anything to make the whole defense better in Chicago? I believe Lovie Smith and most sports people would disagree with you.

Get a fucking clue and stop seeing if every post you make doesnt have to be one notch dumber than the last

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
\ Marinelli is. A great dl coach,but does not help the linebackers or secondary play zone. Hire coaches from seahawks and jettison kiffin and marinelli

That was your statement dumbass .......

Which means you know jack shit about football coaching or even the hiring process of the NFL

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New players possibly fix this mess. Holloman showed some ability. The safety position is a joke. We need a woodson type safety in the worst way

No one is going to deny we need a safety, but if a QB has all day to throw the ball, he will find an open guy no matter how good your secondary is. If a QB has defenders in his face, he doesn't have time to scan the entire field to find the open guy. If you do not think the D-line can make a secondary better, then you don't understand football. This team needs D-lineman first, we will lose Hatcher, and possibly Ware and Spencer in this offseason. If we don't get some decent pass rushers in this draft, you haven't seen bad yet. Also, this isn't going to happen in one draft and could take a couple of years to fix. I just hope they fix it before the O-line gets to old.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is going to deny we need a safety, but if a QB has all day to throw the ball, he will find an open guy no matter how good your secondary is. If a QB has defenders in his face, he doesn't have time to scan the entire field to find the open guy. If you do not think the D-line can make a secondary better, then you don't understand football. This team needs D-lineman first, we will lose Hatcher, and possibly Ware and Spencer in this offseason. If we don't get some decent pass rushers in this draft, you haven't seen bad yet. Also, this isn't going to happen in one draft and could take a couple of years to fix. I just hope they fix it before the O-line gets to old.

Thank you .... ALL versions of the Tampa 2 defense and majority of 4-3 defenses in general depend on the front four to get pressure.
If they don't I don't care what you have on the back end ..... Eventually someone will be open

The difference in man and zone .... is with pressure the zone creates more turnovers .... Something that has been seriously lacking with the Cowboys for years now
Unless you have shut down corners .... which we DO NOT have

Last edited by a moderator:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly why Football is the ultimate team game. The greatest corner in history of the NFL could not cover a practice squad WR for 6 seconds on 30 pass plays a game and a practice squad CB could run stride for stride with the greatest WRs of all time if they only had to do so for a second or two. Pressure and coverage are as closely related as any two things in Football. Now that being said, I'm not conviced we need DL more than we need a safety, but let's just say we need a lot of help in both areas...