• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where fo you think WCW went wrong?

What killed WCW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is one of the topics of debate and Conterversy in wrestling.

I was watching "Best of Wwe: Goldberg" and they showed him/sting from Halloween havoc 1999 and I remember that was a huge clusterfuck.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted 5.

I think 4 things that happened in 1998/ early 1999 started it and drove it down. Big businesses crashed it.

And @ill . I'm not sure if you have seen it but here is the infamous fingerpoke of doom:

Bischoff at the end was gold.

"THE MAN. THE LEGEND. THE...

WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?"

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it started back at Starrcade 97 when they didn’t put Sting over Hogan clean. That should’ve also started the fall and eventual destruction on the nWo for good. Also, they built around too many older stars with massive contracts and weren’t really doing a good job of making new ones. By the time they were ready to ready to try that, it was already too late for the company since they were losing over a million dollars a week.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it started back at Starrcade 97 when they didn’t put Sting over Hogan clean. That should’ve also started the fall and eventual destruction on the nWo for good. Also, they built around too many older stars with massive contracts and weren’t really doing a good job of making new ones. By the time they were ready to ready to try that, it was already too late for the company since they were losing over a million dollars a week.

definitely 97 Starrcade as a starting point.

it took all the air out of what should’ve been a thrilling trilogy.

It wcw also wasted a ton of money of celebrities and guys who couldn’t bring it anymore

and totally unnecessary sets/scenes

I think having too many guys have control of their booking tied their hands and they had too much backstage politicking

So for me it’s 1, 4 and 5.

the fingerpoke was the end. I still don’t get how it backfired so badly when a midcarder beat the top wrestler on the roster on the other brand but it did.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They hired Vince Russo and gave him some creative control and booking duties.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WCW was great, but the NWO group ran amuck and it became too much. Having NWO PPVs and NWO refs is some of the worst examples of that. If they kept it small with like 5 wrestlers, it would have been better and lasted longer.

But also building up Goldberg the way they did and having him go down the way they did was pretty bad. Should have and could have been a lot better. The finger poke was bad, but I think that was well passed the beginning of the end at that point.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is big business run a muck

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting aside all the in ring stuff that they did wrong, it was doomed once Ted Turner was no longer the man in charge of his own company. He was really the only advocate pro wrestling had in that building and with him out of the picture, it was an easy call for all the detractors to make.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting aside all the in ring stuff that they did wrong, it was doomed once Ted Turner was no longer the man in charge of his own company. He was really the only advocate pro wrestling had in that building and with him out of the picture, it was an easy call for all the detractors to make.

yeah the rest of the Company never wanted wcw on the books anyway. Once he sold out they needed to sell the asset

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah the rest of the Company never wanted wcw on the books anyway. Once he sold out they needed to sell the asset
But that was kind of the main issue regardless of all of the failures IMO is was WCW wasn’t treated like an asset, it was treated like content. Ted Turner liked wrestling and wanted it even though JCP was in terrible shape. The rest of the Turner executives didn’t want it and thus treated (was allowed to) WCW like content instead of an actual promotion or an asset. From afar, it seems like how the Braves went from a complete joke and what seemed like he owned it for content on TBS, to he invested in them and they became a dynasty.