• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the scenario that I saw, either Ball or Kuzma...probably Ball since he has higher upside than Kuzma and would actually fit well in San Antonio's system.

Can the Lakers even trade their pick next year since they traded this year's pick? Or are we talking about the 2020 pick?

That pick isn't going to have a lot of value since the Lakers would almost certainly not be a lottery team if they got Kawhi and Lebron and/or PG.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow restructure Deng’s contract and include him.

So Ball 7.4 and Ingram 5.7 with the Deng $10+

They could still sign PG and Lebron. They get rid of Lopez, Pope Frye, Brewer and IT salaries which are $61 mil combined

So Ball, Ingram, Deng would be a little better than a wash for Kawhi.

So they could theoretically could make that trade and get PG and Lebron.

But then their entire roster would be

Lebron
PG
Kawhi
Ennis
Kuzma
Hart
Zubic
Bryant

The rest of the squad would be filled with vet minimum guys.

Unless they were able to pull of some incredible bargain basement vet signings, that team is not winning shit.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron
PG
Kawhi
Ennis
Kuzma
Hart
Zubic
Bryant

Unless they were able to pull of some incredible bargain basement vet signings, that team is not winning shit.

What about Randle? Is it an option year or what? I guess he wouldn’t be on the roster. Yeah I just don’t see them having much depth. Maybe giving up Kuzma instead of Ball would give them a PG. idk a lot of star power but not much around them

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Randle? Is it an option year or what? I guess he wouldn’t be on the roster. Yeah I just don’t see them having much depth. Maybe giving up Kuzma instead of Ball would give them a PG. idk a lot of star power but not much around them

If they retain his Bird rights he will be 12 million on the cap. That would end any chance of getting both Lebron and PG.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they retain his Bird rights he will be 12 million on the cap. That would end any chance of getting both Lebron and PG.

Yeah if Lebron got max $35 and PG got $30 they are looking at $116.1 mil and that is with the 12 mil from Randle. Without Randle they are right at the cap

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if they have Bird Right they can sign him after they sign Lebron and PG, correct?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the Lakers even trade their pick next year since they traded this year's pick? Or are we talking about the 2020 pick?

From what I understood, the scenario I saw was talking about future picks. I don't think they can trade the pick they got from the Cavs. But I'm not sure.

That pick isn't going to have a lot of value since the Lakers would almost certainly not be a lottery team if they got Kawhi and Lebron and/or PG.

That's part of why I don't think it will happen unless Kawhi is able to force the Spurs hand. Someone will make them a better offer. Even if Kawhi tries to force the Spurs hand, someone will likely make a better offer and take a chance that they can convince him to stay. Similar to the Thunder with PG.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if they have Bird Right they can sign him after they sign Lebron and PG, correct?

I don't think so. I think that, to clear the cap space, they have to renounce the Bird rights on Randle to release his cap hold. Once that happens, then they can sign Lebron and PG. That about right @WiggyRuss ?

That would mean Randle would have to re-sign at the vet minimum. Which would be great if he did and Lakers fans would love him forever. But it would be pretty dumb on his part, imo.

Maybe he looks long term, realizes Lebron only has a couple of years left at his current level and takes the vet minimum for a couple of years with the idea that he'll get a much bigger deal when Lebron leaves/retires.

But that would be very risky because, as we saw with IT, an injury could change all of that in a heartbeat. Then he never gets his big contract.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

They have to renounce his bird rights to have the money to sign the other guys.

Once that happens, they can only sign him with capspace, which they wouldn't have....

Only way to do both is for Randle to go the Shabazz Mohammed route, I don't see that happening.

* he signed for vet minimum after being renounced*

Timing is going to be the Lakers biggest issue.

If the Mavs decide to pivot from Cousins and draft Bamba, they are most certainly throwing a max deal at Randle.

LeBron is a notorious foot dragger.

So, this could be a problem if he wants to wait to see which teams can build the best super team around him before he decides his next destination.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understood, the scenario I saw was talking about future picks. I don't think they can trade the pick they got from the Cavs. But I'm not sure.

That's part of why I don't think it will happen unless Kawhi is able to force the Spurs hand. Someone will make them a better offer. Even if Kawhi tries to force the Spurs hand, someone will likely make a better offer and take a chance that they can convince him to stay. Similar to the Thunder with PG.
For now I believe that the Lakers first round draft picks belong to the Lakers and there are no plans to trade for them.

One possibility, however - I think Randle is a restricted free agent which means that the Lakers can match the best offer Randle gets from another team and keep him. So then the question is

Does Randle want to leave the Lakers" or does Randle ask the Lakers not match his salary.

What the Lakers could do is match the offer and then use Randle as a sign and trade to get something back. I expect that would be the team that offers Randle a big contract - It might be a decent player, but could also be a first round draft pick.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah if Lebron got max $35 and PG got $30 they are looking at $116.1 mil and that is with the 12 mil from Randle. Without Randle they are right at the cap
LeBron has a player option for 35 million - Indiana are already 75 million not counting the player option on Thaddeous Young - if he picks up his player option, Indiana will be at 88 million + 35 million for LeBron - would be about 10 million over the salary cap - I doubt that LeBron is going to jump to a team with no room under the salary cap that can get the players he wants - Indiana just isn't a choice for LeBron and I will not comment on Hurricane's personal life

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, two elite wings and nothing else on the roster. I would really rather build with the young talent and add free agents with the cap space, even if that is one max and one lesser FA.

No.

3. And LeBron is your point guard.

LeBron, Kawhi, PG13

Plus my scenario has them keeping Kuzma and Hart. Vets will want to join in that for cheap. That would be the beginning of a legit contender. What you have now is the beginnings of a 45-50 win roster.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they would have to match salaries in that instance if they had already signed someone and still had Randle--- Deng would have to be included in order to get there to make the salaries close enough to matching- there would ahveto be some finagling

My suggestion was:

Ball, Ingram, Deng and 2 firsts.

Obviously the Spurs willingness to do a deal like this would depend on other offers, but they might be willing to take 2 years of Deng if they get 2 firsts along with 2 high end prospects on rookie deals for 2 and 3 more years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron
PG
Kawhi
Ennis
Kuzma
Hart
Zubic
Bryant

Vets always come running to play for a group like that. Especially in a city like LA. Would not be that hard to do.

That roster along with a couple vets would legitimately challenge GS. Far more than any current team.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My suggestion was:

Ball, Ingram, Deng and 2 firsts.

Obviously the Spurs willingness to do a deal like this would depend on other offers, but they might be willing to take 2 years of Deng if they get 2 firsts along with 2 high end prospects on rookie deals for 2 and 3 more years.
I definitely think that would make them competitive with an offer from the Sixers--- if the Sixers got crazy they could trump the offer----- if the Spurs thought the offers were pretty equal I would think they would trade him out of the West.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vets always come running to play for a group like that. Especially in a city like LA. Would not be that hard to do.

That roster along with a couple vets would legitimately challenge GS. Far more than any current team.

Well sure you'll get bodies to fill the spots. But they will be well past their prime or never had a prime vets.

I guess I just don't see how that team could compete with a PG or a C. Unless Eniis and Zubac really step up and you get some incredible finds for the bench.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Randle want to leave the Lakers" or does Randle ask the Lakers not match his salary.

The question on Randle will have a lot to do with who they sign. If they get both Lebron and PG, Randle is gone unless he's wants to stick around for the vet minimum.

If they only sign 1 or zero max guys...then I think they will match whatever offer Randle gets short of a max deal.

What the Lakers could do is match the offer and then use Randle as a sign and trade to get something back. I expect that would be the team that offers Randle a big contract - It might be a decent player, but could also be a first round draft pick.

I'm not certain, but I don't think that's an option unless it happens before the Lakers sign any max FA's. and I'm not sure even then. Part of how the Lakers will clear the cap space for 2 max guys is by renouncing Randle's Bird Rights which releases his cap hold.

So, basically the Lakers would have to know that they're getting Lebron and PG, hold off on actually signing them until Randle agree to terms with another team, then match it to do the sign and trade.

I don't know if that can even be done. Even if it can, that's an awful lot of moving parts.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

3. And LeBron is your point guard.

LeBron, Kawhi, PG13

Plus my scenario has them keeping Kuzma and Hart. Vets will want to join in that for cheap. That would be the beginning of a legit contender. What you have now is the beginnings of a 45-50 win roster.

Philly is still his best option imo. They still have depth and a better starting lineup.

Lebron
Redick
Kawhi
Simmons
Embiid

Nothing is beating that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is still his best option imo. They still have depth and a better starting lineup.

Lebron
Redick
Kawhi
Simmons
Embiid

Nothing is beating that.

What are the Sixers giving up for Kawhi?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now who has the better trade value to get Kawhi? Lakers or Sixers?

The Lakers could send:

Ingram
Ball or Kuzma
This years draft pick wont be that much value so a pick next year

The Sixers could send:

10th pick this year
Saric
Fultz
Possibly Covington

I would say the Lakers can add better players but that 10th overall draft pick holds a lot of value too