• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When you have 3 all-stars on 1 team

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love's stats are down because he isn't as good as his Wolves' stats. He posted big numbers on bad teams. The Cavs are using him in a role that won't let him accumulate stats either; sticking him on the perimeter to space the floor.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not true.

If 2 of them are ball dominant players line LeBron, Irving and Wade, then yes. There are plenty of examples throughout history, however, where 3 stars actually make the game easier for each other and have a synergistic relationship.

Example:

Magic, Kareem and Worthy
Stockton, Malone and Hornacek
Teague, Millsap and Horford

If the players move the basketball efficiently, the whole can still be greater than the sum of the parts. The 3rd option doesn't necessarily need to take a drastic hit. In the case of Golden State, I actually think Klay will have to sacrifice least of the 4 even though he is the 3rd option. They play a much different style of offensive basketball, so the parallels you have drawn to LeBron's teams don't apply here.

I guess I always thought pre-Magic (Bucks version/early lakers) Kareem was so much more dominant of a player myself. He was basically a lock for MVP every year.

And Hornacek was only an all star in Phoenix when he was a 20 point a game guy.

Horford I'd say has been not quite as good since Millsap showed up a few years ago..

I see your point, there are groups that work out better together and you can see guys who maybe score a bit less but with a much higher efficiency.. But I agree, someones going to see a drop in their production.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not true.

If 2 of them are ball dominant players line LeBron, Irving and Wade, then yes. There are plenty of examples throughout history, however, where 3 stars actually make the game easier for each other and have a synergistic relationship.

Example:

Magic, Kareem and Worthy
Stockton, Malone and Hornacek
Teague, Millsap and Horford

If the players move the basketball efficiently, the whole can still be greater than the sum of the parts. The 3rd option doesn't necessarily need to take a drastic hit. In the case of Golden State, I actually think Klay will have to sacrifice least of the 4 even though he is the 3rd option. They play a much different style of offensive basketball, so the parallels you have drawn to LeBron's teams don't apply here.

Well said. I was going to post virtually the same thing when I saw OP's post. I don't think we'll see a huge drop off in anyone's production with KD to the Warriors. The Warriors were already arguably the most unselfish team in the league. Now, they just added a superstar who has been criticized at times for being too unselfish.

I suppose there is the possibility that one of them gets frustrated about not getting the ball enough, but it doesn't seem likely given how the Warriors play and that KD isn't a ball dominant guy.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. I was going to post virtually the same thing when I saw OP's post. I don't think we'll see a huge drop off in anyone's production with KD to the Warriors. The Warriors were already arguably the most unselfish team in the league. Now, they just added a superstar who has been criticized at times for being too unselfish.

I suppose there is the possibility that one of them gets frustrated about not getting the ball enough, but it doesn't seem likely given how the Warriors play and that KD isn't a ball dominant guy.

Barring injury nothing can stop this team. Seriously, let's get real. No way any other team can outscore them more than 20% of the time. Their D will be a little weaker but the O will be like nothing ever seen in terms of efficiency and volume. This is a new type of ball, and now they have the perfect team to make it work. Even the depth isn't that big of a deal when you consider how they can stagger it so their 2nd unit always has 2 allstars in it, and with either Curry or KD on the floor for 48 minutes.

Looking forward to it, I think even if I wasn't a homer I'd be excited to see what this team can do.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who was the guy in boston? I remember pierce, allen, and kg all playing great

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another good example. There are many.

Heck, Boston even developed a 4th as Rondo developed.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kendrick Perkins obv. Doc has pointed out numerous times how they were undefeated in finals where he played or something to that effect.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you older guys have other examples....but for me, the 3rd all-star player being forced into merely, a rotation players role didn't start until the Big 3 in Miami. Both Bosh and Love had post games, but were forced to take on the role of only stretching the floor, which ultimately led to unjust criticism at times. Nobody will be forced into anything on this GS team, because all of them can play off the ball just as good as(and in some cases better) than they play with the ball. Like I said in another thread, they have put together the Zeus of all NBA lineups. It's just plain unfair, and I have no clue as to how you stop that. I mean, if you wanna send a goon in to take a cheap shot, then you may have a chance then...

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reaction to this thread is that grass is green, water is wet, and the sky is blue.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying if Steph or Durant gets injured, the Warriors are worse? Shocking.

It doesn't matter about depth. If either gets injured, their chances of winning a title drop dramatically. As is the case with EVERY NBA team, when your best players go down.

I bet if the Cavs lost Irving or Lebron they'd be worse as well. Same if Aldridge or Lenoard get injured, the Spurs would be worse. It's amazing how that works out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay was fine with not getting paid while being easily the best player on our basketball team as a freshman but not shooting more than 8 times a game. His dad has kept him grounded and humbled. Not many dad's would force their son into humiliation like he did at Washington State and his son would be cool with it.

Plus, Barkley was the 3rd all star on the Rockets and he was fine wasn't he?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosh was comfortable in his role. It was positive for the team.

Love was NOT comfortable at all. He brought a lot of negatives to the team.

You cannot compare the two.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosh was comfortable in his role. It was positive for the team.

Love was NOT comfortable at all. He brought a lot of negatives to the team.

You cannot compare the two.
what negatives did love bring to the team?

Love- besides a couple Finals games- and in one of those games Kyrie and LeBron each had 40 and were rolling- played really freaking well in the playoffs

their production - bosh's and love's- is pretty strikingly similar...except for rebounding where Love is quite a bit better.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what negatives did love bring to the team?

Love- besides a couple Finals games- and in one of those games Kyrie and LeBron each had 40 and were rolling- played really freaking well in the playoffs

their production - bosh's and love's- is pretty strikingly similar...except for rebounding where Love is quite a bit better.

So, lets just forget all the problems Love had, rather it was his production, fitting in his role, or the off the court stuff.

Lets not act like his role on the Cavs was as smooth as Bosh's was on the Heat.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, lets just forget all the problems Love had, rather it was his production, fitting in his role, or the off the court stuff.

Lets not act like his role on the Cavs was as smooth as Bosh's was on the Heat.
Love/LeBron/Irving still have not lost a playoff series when all 3 guys are on the court.....

and yah- i get what you are saying to a certain extent- but a lot of that was more perception than what was actually happening- sure Love had his lumps- but when you look at actual productivity Love actually seems to be a little better off- and Love certainly benefited from the coaching chage- away from a DAvid Blatt who supposedly said - "its either me or Love" leaving.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im glad ive been gone for weeks. Your posts get worse and worse by the minute