• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When to find Romo's heir.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I agree with Archer's strategy for finding Romo's replacement. In fact, I think we should do exactly what he feels is the antiquated way of doing it.

Let's face it, Romo could be 1 bad sack away from retirement. So the plan is to ride it out for a couple of years and then go all in for some hyped up first rounder? ... And then hand him the ball before he even knows where the locker room is? Yes, I know there is proof that can work but I think you would have better odds drafting some late or round QB's now, and yes let them hold a clip board.

You can't tell me the clip board guys will not have a chance of being better with reading defenses when his number is called.

Who is going to be a really good NFL QB? Is there a harder question in all of the NFL. And even after a couple of years you still don't know. But i think the path that has you looking at multiple talent options is the best one.

When Dallas Cowboys really need to find QB Tony Romo's heir - ESPN

"Maybe this is the year they actually take a quarterback in the draft.

But the likelihood of the Cowboys finding Romo's heir in the middle to late rounds is slim. Extremely slim. The odds-aren't-worth-it-slim. There are two starting quarterbacks currently in the NFL who were picked after the third round. Romo is one and he wasn't drafted. Tom Brady is the other and he went in the sixth round"

"The days of developing a quarterback seem long ago. The Green Bay Packers did it with Aaron Rodgers behind Brett Favre. Philip Rivers sat for two years behind Drew Brees with the San Diego Chargers. Those guys were taken in 2005 and 2004.

Most teams are drafting their guys in the first and second rounds and if not playing them in Week 1 of their rookie seasons, then very soon in their rookie seasons. Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr started as rookies last season.

It sounds quaint, the notion of a quarterback holding a clip board, taking mental notes as he watches. It's just not reality.

Let's say Romo plays another three years through 2017 when he is 37. In 2018, that's when the Cowboys will really need to find his successor"

Mrhappi06

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill just add that we had one of the best lines in the NFL, and absolutely had the best rb in the NFL, and Romo still missed a game and a half. Gotta make a move soon.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the Cowboys went RB in the 1st round. Would it be insane to pick Petty in the 2nd round?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The four games we lost last year, something was wrong with Romo. Game 1, still rusty, didn't get too much action or reps in, so Romo wasn't 100%. Redskins game, he was banged up. Arizona, Romo was out. Thanksgiving, shortened week especially after a Sunday night game, didn't have time to get his shots, treatment etc. If Romo goes down this team is in trouble.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all the above
Just don't think this team should pick QB that high this draft.
Petty is a project... I think he's more the clip board holder type.
I do think we should go 2 defensive guys and RB with our first three selections. I remain all about the defensive back upgrades

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all the above
Just don't think this team should pick QB that high this draft.
Petty is a project and I have think he's more than a clip board holder.
I do think 2 defensive guys and RB with our first three selections. I remain all about the defensive back upgrades
I see you are a TCU fan. What do you think of the corner Kevin White. I like him, but he gets mixed reviews. Seen him as high as a 2nd rounder and as low as a 6th

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you are a TCU fan. What do you think of the corner Kevin White. I like him, but he gets mixed reviews. Seen him as high as a 2nd rounder and as low as a 6th
I'd like to see him and Dawson here but not earlier than a 5th rounder.
Dawson was a helleva college LB with strong game tape and less measurables. Not the shapest tool in the shed, but I'd take a late round flyer

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The four games we lost last year, something was wrong with Romo. Game 1, still rusty, didn't get too much action or reps in, so Romo wasn't 100%. Redskins game, he was banged up. Arizona, Romo was out. Thanksgiving, shortened week especially after a Sunday night game, didn't have time to get his shots, treatment etc. If Romo goes down this team is in trouble.

Which is why I don't understand how Dustin Vaughan did not get one regular season snap last year.
Unless they seen enough of him to know he is just there as an emergency and have no plans for him as a possible starter.

The Cowboys have to be active in finding Romo's replacement. Find some rookies and stick them in garbage time when you can. Do something ..anything. Just don't start looking at the last minute.

I don't think there is anything more demoralizing to a team and it's fans than being stuck in QB hell.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see him and Dawson here but not earlier than a 5th rounder.
Dawson was a helleva college LB with strong game tape and less measurables. Not the shapest tool in the shed, but I'd take a late round flyer
Yeah, Dawson is all over the place too, 2nd round to 5th

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Mannion QB out of Oregon St. would be a good pick up. Played under center in a pro style offense while setting a bunch of records. Would be nice for him to sit and learn behind Romo for a couple years.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Mannion QB out of Oregon St. would be a good pick up. Played under center in a pro style offense while setting a bunch of records. Would be nice for him to sit and learn behind Romo for a couple years.

There's options in this draft. Not sure if they try to grab one today or not. However I think there's a project soon to be released from Philly I'd pick up off waivers. Barkley.