• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the best way to get three starters?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way to actually get 3 starters is to renegotiate with Suh to free up cap space and lock up our 2nd-best player. Then we can afford FAs that are starter-level ability instead of the backups we're signing and may have to start.

Here's a bit of an article I read:

I also think some people are a little misguided on exactly the kind of space a potential Suh deal could create.

When Calvin Johnson signed his extension in 2012, it freed up about $10 million. When Matthew Stafford signed his last offseason, it created around $3 million. That’s a considerable difference.

Lewand thinks the kind of cap relief the Lions will get from Suh will be closer to Stafford’s extension than it will Johnson’s. If that’s the case, he’s right, getting a deal done with Suh had no impact on free agency.

The Lions addressed their biggest need by getting Tate. They’ll look to address their hole at safety with possibly free agent James Ihedigbo or from the draft.

I expect a deal to get done with Suh in due time.

Contrary to what many on here have been thinking, the Suh restructuring may not give us that much in cap space. Again, no deal is made so this could be wrong, but it's out there and shows the signing won't give us tons of money afterwards. This goes along with what Mayhew said earlier that getting a deal done with Suh wouldn't impact their plans in FA.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Slay had the physical tools -- he wasn't even 1st team in his own conference, let alone an all-american.
Austin hooked Slay up with Rod Woodson this offseason to train and learn. I'd say he sees something special in him if he's willing to have Rod teach him.

Can we at least see what Austin can do with our secondary before completely writing them off? Oh who am I kidding.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin hooked Slay up with Rod Woodson this offseason to train and learn. I'd say he sees something special in him if he's willing to have Rod teach him.

Can we at least see what Austin can do with our secondary before completely writing them off? Oh who am I kidding.

Can we at least see what Austin can do with our secondary before completely writing them off?

Thought that was worthy of reposting.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's definitely something to consider. Let the new coaches get a chance at implementing their systems and choosing the players they like. But this is how we should look at the entire roster then. What if the coaches like Palmer? We don't and we've already written off Whitehead and others.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's definitely something to consider. Let the new coaches get a chance at implementing their systems and choosing the players they like. But this is how we should look at the entire roster then. What if the coaches like Palmer? We don't and we've already written off Whitehead and others.

True. I guess I am more or less just referencing the secondary since that's where Austin excels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My too with Austin. Our coaches seem to have a history with secondary. Therefore I think we should see the biggest improvement in that area. Especially with the younger guys that we have. And we have plenty.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as Caldwell has watched the film of Stafford. Sure Austin has watched film of DB's....holy shit that may be a horror film. Sure they already have ideas of who can do what and might need replacing.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin hooked Slay up with Rod Woodson this offseason to train and learn. I'd say he sees something special in him if he's willing to have Rod teach him

Austin didn't hook Slay up with anyone. Eugene Parker is Slay's agent -- it also happens to be one of Woodson's good friends and Parker set up the talk.

This also isn't the 1st time Slay has worked with Woodson. He did the same before the draft and even spent time staying at Woodson's house.

That being said -- I actually think Slay has a chance to be really good. He showed flashes last season and just has to become more consistent. Unfortunately -- I just don't see that in the other 3 guys drafted the year before.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Austin will help with some of the CB's on the roster, but you need talent as well and that is where Detroit is sorely lacking at the CB position.

Bentley, Green and Greenwood were all drafted with the hope maybe they would get lucky with one. I said it after the draft -- it was the quantity over quality approach. In 2 years -- the group has 1 interception by Green and a total of 12 passes defensed. Bentley has more PI's than PD's.

Austin would have to be a miracle worker to turn our secondary into a top 10 unit without adding an elite talent. We lack a playmaker at the CB position.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin didn't hook Slay up with anyone. Eugene Parker is Slay's agent -- it also happens to be one of Woodson's good friends and Parker set up the talk.

This also isn't the 1st time Slay has worked with Woodson. He did the same before the draft and even spent time staying at Woodson's house.

That being said -- I actually think Slay has a chance to be really good. He showed flashes last season and just has to become more consistent. Unfortunately -- I just don't see that in the other 3 guys drafted the year before.

I stand corrected. I knew Slay worked with Woodson, just didn't realized his agent was the one that initially introduced them. In any event, it's obvious he's working hard to improve. He's even running routes against Alshon this offseason as they share the same agent. Going up against he and CJ(in practice) can only make him better.

But don't discount what Austin can do. Proof is in the pudding.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Austin will help with some of the CB's on the roster, but you need talent as well and that is where Detroit is sorely lacking at the CB position.

Bentley, Green and Greenwood were all drafted with the hope maybe they would get lucky with one. I said it after the draft -- it was the quantity over quality approach. In 2 years -- the group has 1 interception by Green and a total of 12 passes defensed. Bentley has more PI's than PD's.

Austin would have to be a miracle worker to turn our secondary into a top 10 unit without adding an elite talent. We lack a playmaker at the CB position.

Or maybe you are just so ignorant and negative that you refuse to see anything positive.

Micro is giving you examples of how a member of our secondary is working to improve his game, his skills. Its been pointed out that we have young players and a new staff. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic that our almost top 10 secondary (based on your measuring stick to shit on our run defense) could look very different even with the same players.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe you are just so ignorant and negative that you refuse to see anything positive.

Micro is giving you examples of how a member of our secondary is working to improve his game, his skills. Its been pointed out that we have young players and a new staff. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic that our almost top 10 secondary (based on your measuring stick to shit on our run defense) could look very different even with the same players.

Kreton -- I posted about Slay meeting with Woodson a while ago. It is why I know the whole story on how they actually hooked up and how it has nothing to do with Austin.

I've also said -- Slay is the one CB we have drafted that has shown flashes of being very good. Like most young CBs -- he also was benched for poor play. He is the one guy I have high hopes for this upcoming year.

I'm sorry if I don't have the same attitude you do for Bentley, Green and Greenwood, but they have been on the team for 2 years and haven't shown me anything. The only one I would even remotely trust being on the field is Jonte Green and I'd only want to see him if we were dealing with a string of injuries.

I'm not trying to be negative or ignorant or whatever it is you said -- I'm being honest. There is a reason why CB is the biggest need on the team. It isn't because we have a load of talent. What we have is a draft of quantity in 2012, an actual draft pick in the top two rounds in Slay and Chris Houston, who should be a nickel corner, but on Detroit he is a #1.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Optimism runs high when you look at the CBs on paper as far as their physical atributes, but when you watched them and look at overall production, optimism starts running a little low. CB is my favorite position in football and I like the group for what I think they should be but they arent that. Bentley should be a lock in the nickel but he's not yet. Houston has struggled more than people admit. I like him as a #2 for sure and definitely in the nickel.

Green and Greenwood are prayers IMO, but I like the potential there. I'd bet Slay improves some and makes a case to start. Of all these guys and the production they had, theres nothing that says there will be a major improvement or that another CB cant come in and start right away. Austin may do a fine job but some things are uncoachable.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like bentley and slays chances, especially slay. The other ones though? Garbage. They will hopefully bring in some more talent at the position via the draft.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like bentley and slays chances, especially slay. The other ones though? Garbage. They will hopefully bring in some more talent at the position via the draft.

I think I need to watch Bentley play more from last year's games. I just don't see what others see from him I guess. I think he has been absolutely horrible in the 2 years he has been on the team. I don't see how a guy with more PI calls against him than passes defensed can even see the field, but Bentley does.

The fact Bentley does play is why I have said -- if they draft Dennard or Gilbert -- they will play immediately, as they will be more talented than any CB we have on the roster.

I would absolutely love to see the Lions go CB, OLB, Safety or something defensive the 1st 3 picks. They need an infusion of talent on that side of the ball. They have some key pieces already, but they need a couple playmakers in that back 7 and the defense will be much better.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't saying a rookie wouldn't play, I said a rook wouldn't start right away.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't saying a rookie wouldn't play, I said a rook wouldn't start right away.

If Gilbert or Dennard can't unseat what we have on the roster to start for Detroit -- they shouldn't be a top 10 pick. Plain and simple.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drafting a CB won't pan out for a while. CB's need at least 2 years to reach their full potential. Only the real studs like Peterson come out like gangbusters. Also, Jonte Green may not be a playmaker, but he is solid in press and zone coverage. In the 3 yrs hes been here I think I can only rmr him being burned twice. Greenwood played in like 2 games last yr, its a small sample size, and he wasnt amazing, but for someone who's playing their first game action after being drafted by albion, I think he did an adequate job. Not every DB is gonna be a playmaker, I like our DB depth. However, I do think that each secondary does need a ballhawk, which we don't seem to have. But I dont think we are going to find that player in the draft. If anyone, it will be gilbert. Dennard is more of a press corner who excels in the run, same with Haha Dix. I think Safety is a more pressing need than corner right now.