• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the best way to get three starters?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft a k as one of the 3. Guaranteed starter. Also we should not be expecting 3 starters out of this draft. 3 contributors maybe bit not 3 starters

If they draft a CB number ten he better be on the field alot if hes not starting. He cant be an worse than what they currently run out there.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? I expect three starters. Last year they had waddle, ansah, martin, and slay (not sure how many games he started.) if they have a draft even remotely as good as last years I expect at least three.

I think last year there was a lot more opportunity for guys to start. Our O line for this year I think is set (barring injury) and I dont see a CB being an immediate starter (could be by end of year).

Last year I think we had opportunties for someone to become a starter at G,T,CB,WR,DE,DE,LB,K,P and possibly C,S.

This year I think it is more limited. S,CB,LB,K,DE and possibly WR3 or CB3 if you call those starters.

So 5 starting roles could be had and at least one of those I don't think a rookie can take because of the learning curve of the position (CB)

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as I don't hear the same ole conversation about how the O-line takes time to GEL......Seems we just tossed in a LT, RG, RT and the line was just fine.......So let's put that old conversation to sleep until we add another body and the conversation can recycle itself.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply put, Maybe O-Lines don't need that much time to gel when you add new bodies, but the fans seem to think so.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 5 starting roles could be had and at least one of those I don't think a rookie can take because of the learning curve of the position (CB)

If the Lions spend a top 10 pick on a CB -- I'm willing to wager he will be on the field early and often. Hell -- if they pick off one pass, it'd be an upgrade over what we have.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because no one in our secondary has ever had a pick? You sir are being ridiculous again. Learn about football before making these dumb comments. Please.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be pretty damn impressed if we got a pick.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we only need 2 starters now? Since they bought one in Tate.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total on the team thunder? If so, ideally I think we can use a safety, corner, wr, k, olb, DE, c in in that order. Or guys to step up and definitively claim those spots which regardless what some think is an option. Even the wr spot I think will be a 3rd and the CB if a rookie will be a nickel. And c would probably be if raiola depresses again.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because no one in our secondary has ever had a pick? You sir are being ridiculous again. Learn about football before making these dumb comments. Please.

We had 2 interceptions last year by our CBs, both by Houston, who most would agree was our worst CB last year. Slay, Greenwood, Bentley, Green and Mathis had a grand total of zero interceptions.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And clearly since they didn't have any picks last year they will never have any. So if any rookie CB might have a pick he is immediately an upgrade? And is this also assuming that the only measuring stick for corners is picks? I thought they did more than that. I could be wrong.

Hopefully you picked up on the sarcasm there. No matter how cynical and retarded you want to be it won't change the fact that rookie corners struggle and if we do draft a corner he will not likely be starting unless someone gets hurt especially early in the season. Houston/Slay are very likely to be our opening day starters.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And clearly since they didn't have any picks last year they will never have any. So if any rookie CB might have a pick he is immediately an upgrade? And is this also assuming that the only measuring stick for corners is picks? I thought they did more than that. I could be wrong.

Hopefully you picked up on the sarcasm there. No matter how cynical and retarded you want to be it won't change the fact that rookie corners struggle and if we do draft a corner he will not likely be starting unless someone gets hurt especially early in the season. Houston/Slay are very likely to be our opening day starters.

Bentley, Green and Greenwood were not rookies last year. Not sure if you noticed that or not. In two years with the Lions -- The trio have 1 interception and a grand total of 12 passes defensed.

I don't care how much of a lions slappy you are -- you can't possibly believe that a CB with the talent to be drafted in the top 10 won't start over the group currently on the Lions.

A 33 year old CB was signed after being released by Jacksonville and stepped in and was, by far, the best CB on the Lions last year. The only way Dennard or Gilbert do not start if they are drafted by Detroit is if they suffer an set back in camp and miss an extended period of time.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, The Lions would have no reason drafting a cb in round 1 if he's not starting day one. Dennard or Gilbert could very well be better than both Slay and Houston, so I see either one as starters for the Lions. For the Lions, if they drafted a cb, I think would use them in different match-up situations. Nobody really gets demoted, roles just change some.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You tell me if this is good. Our 3rd round pick from 2 years ago has more pass interference calls against him than he does pass defensed. Is that good? I mean that will be tough to beat out for playing time. Our 5th round pick has zero passes defensed and zero interceptions, but man, can he run and jump. The best of the lot, by default, is Jonte Green. He has actually made a play in the secondary when he was forced into action.

You see -- I'm not talking about Slay, as he was the only rookie CB to play last year. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. The other 3 though, will be standing on the sidelines all year, unless someone is injured, if the Lions draft a CB at #10.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, The Lions would have no reason drafting a cb in round 1 if he's not starting day one. Dennard or Gilbert could very well be better than both Slay and Houston, so I see either one as starters for the Lions. For the Lions, if they drafted a cb, I think would use them in different match-up situations. Nobody really gets demoted, roles just change some.

I really dont see a rookie upseating either of those guys immediately. Look at the history of rookie corners starting immediately. It is not good. Most likely we will see him in on nickel and dime packages to start the year and if slay or houston get hurt he may start. If we draft a CB of course.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont see a rookie upseating either of those guys immediately. Look at the history of rookie corners starting immediately. It is not good. Most likely we will see him in on nickel and dime packages to start the year and if slay or houston get hurt he may start. If we draft a CB of course.

Houston will be gone after next year. Kreton by your terms of "learning curve". Would now be the time to get said CB. Wether he displaces Houston or Slay, he will mostly be the nickel. I read in a blog last night 41 of 64 starting CB's were 1st & 2nd rd. picks. ( did not check accuracy) I for one don't have issue of knowing going to 2015 there are 2 young starters in Slay & :hope:Gilbert! or Dennard:bawling:... I was okay with getting Verret in 2nd. He won't be there.

After playing devil's advocate. Give me a trade down and Dix or Pryor!!

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Houston is he had a shitty year last year but years prior to that for us he was nowhere near that bad.

Also I have never said we shouldn't draft anyone at CB or that they may not replace Houston. Only that it is likely not happening at the beginning of the year and possibly not at all this year due to the struggles of rookie safeties and the learning curve of that position.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way to actually get 3 starters is to renegotiate with Suh to free up cap space and lock up our 2nd-best player. Then we can afford FAs that are starter-level ability instead of the backups we're signing and may have to start.

I say we need a real starting safety, a #1CB, and another WR. None of the CBs available at #10 are going to play like #1 guys right away, and even making them #2 guys is a big risk. Ha-Ha could start and contribute if we really wanted to reach at 10. A starting WR3 in the second round is pretty realistic, as would be a starting OLB in the first.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is -- we won't be drafting the 4th best CB or the 8th best CB entering in the draft. We will be drafting, what we feel is the best CB coming out of college. These are 1st team all-american's.

While Slay had the physical tools -- he wasn't even 1st team in his own conference, let alone an all-american.

These players learning curve will be much smaller than the guys we've been drafting because of their talent alone. I'm not saying they are going to step in and be a shutdown CB. But either Dennard or Gilbert will be the most talented CB on the Lions roster if either is drafted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A starting WR3 in the second round is pretty realistic

If Mayhew can't find a starting WR3 in the 2nd round of this draft -- he will never find one in the draft. Take a look at what other teams have done over the past couple years.

3rd round picks in 2013 -- Keenan Allen and Terrance Williams.

2nd round picks in 2012 -- Alshon Jeffrey
3rd round or later in 2012 -- Mohammed Sanu, TY Hilton, Marvin Jones, Reuben Randle

2nd round picks in 2011 -- Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb
3rd round or later in 2011 -- Cecil Shorts, Denarius Moore

These are in drafts where WR were slim pickings. They have over a dozen guys with 1st or 2nd round talent. If they whiff again this year -- they should never draft a WR again.